Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spotify on version 9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well given the car is advertised with.....
  • Media FM radio and Bluetooth® connectivity, with on-demand & internet radio capability
It is a feature that needs to be fixed, our cars were purchased with it working, Tesla broke the functionality! It must be an interesting conversation between the dealer and new owners when their cars are delivered with non working Spotity.
Where did you find a dealer that delivers new Teslas?

Was told update will fix and would be 2 weeks. I am assuming Tesla time!!! I requested latest update be installed while they were doing the air bag (or, as my daughter called it, boob job! Especially since my car has had an Unplugged performance “nose job”!). By the way, they only do the passenger side as apparently the drivers side and curtains are not affected.

Last edited:
They told me in January it would be fixed in the next release, then in February still not working, and in March I emailed them again and they did not even bother to reply.

Between months of no Spotify, extremely large price drops, over-priced accredited repairs, lack of Sentry Mode and still no auto pilot - despite paying over $330K for a fully optioned-out Model X P100D - I am growing tired of the Telsa "experience". I know early adopters will suffer, but two of those complaints (Spotify, Sentry) are straight-forward no-cost software updates and it's unreasonable that Tesla cannot get its act together enough to push them out.

On a related note I noticed the Tesla support responses used to include the customer service agent's name, but now it's just a generic signature block. I guess the lack of accountability reflects the deteriorating service culture of Tesla Australia.

They told me in January it would be fixed in the next release, then in February still not working, and in March I emailed them again and they did not even bother to reply.

Between months of no Spotify, extremely large price drops, over-priced accredited repairs, lack of Sentry Mode and still no auto pilot - despite paying over $330K for a fully optioned-out Model X P100D - I am growing tired of the Telsa "experience". I know early adopters will suffer, but two of those complaints (Spotify, Sentry) are straight-forward no-cost software updates and it's unreasonable that Tesla cannot get its act together enough to push them out.

On a related note I noticed the Tesla support responses used to include the customer service agent's name, but now it's just a generic signature block. I guess the lack of accountability reflects the deteriorating service culture of Tesla Australia.

When you purchased your tesla sentry mode, doggy mode.....fart mode...was not even contemplated.....so you need a mindset change. Tesla unlike every other car brand provide you free software updates after your purchase. I’ve recieved a free dashcam mode since my contract was settled. Havnt ever seen bmw, merc, audi, holde do that. You should be grateful for that, and have no expectations or demands.
Also the service culture in Adelaide is incredible, and its entirely your choice where you get damage repaired.

I guess the lack of accountability reflects the deteriorating service culture of Tesla Australia.
All valid points you make. It is hard not to let these things bring you down and experience some buyers regret, just like when I am driving along listening to the sunroof rattling on my $200K+ 'luxury car', seriously this stuff has been sorted by every other manufacturer how can they not have figured this out through trial, error and 'oh look how they did it'.

I don't see anything will change with Tesla, if anything it'll just get worse if you don't own the latest model because they themselves just seem to move on to play with the next shiny ball that rolls past.

You have to be a bit forgiving to our local service centres though, that Spotify issue is not their fault and I am sure they are being told by HQ that it will be getting fixed, definitely a case of don't shoot the messenger. If they bring out more stupid easter eggs instead of fixing these issues with the MCU that just shows they don't take customers (or should I say, end users) seriously. To that I would add the Melbourne service department are awesome, no complaints at all about those guys.

All valid points you make. It is hard not to let these things bring you down and experience some buyers regret, just like when I am driving along listening to the sunroof rattling on my $200K+ 'luxury car', seriously this stuff has been sorted by every other manufacturer how can they not have figured this out through trial, error and 'oh look how they did it'.

I don't see anything will change with Tesla, if anything it'll just get worse if you don't own the latest model because they themselves just seem to move on to play with the next shiny ball that rolls past.

You have to be a bit forgiving to our local service centres though, that Spotify issue is not their fault and I am sure they are being told by HQ that it will be getting fixed, definitely a case of don't shoot the messenger. If they bring out more stupid easter eggs instead of fixing these issues with the MCU that just shows they don't take customers (or should I say, end users) seriously. To that I would add the Melbourne service department are awesome, no complaints at all about those guys.
Fairly certain a lot of the problem is the pressure to pump cars out to keep the american short sellers at bay. We suffer as a consequence. My now 6 month old tesla has had seval items attended to, but my local,service guy did so with minimal inconvenience to me (home visits where possible). I agree the local guys are forced to work hard to fix amaerican issues, but I’ve also found with all 4 model s purchases, once you get the initial,bugs out they are very stable.

.so you need a mindset change. Tesla unlike every other car brand provide you free software updates after your purchase.

One of the points repeatedly made to me before purchase was Tesla provides over-the-air (OTA) updates. I bought the car expecting it to get better. As a result I am frustrated that Tesla make the vehicles in the USA and more recently sold in Australia better, but they won't make my car better.

By way of contrast, when I buy a phone, Google keep making it better. When I buy a laptop, Microsoft keep making it better. When I buy a house battery, Sonnen keep making it better. But when I buy one of the most expensive cars ever released in Australia - at a price up to 2 orders of magnitude more expensive than any of the aforementioned examples - and where one of its key pre-purchase selling points was "OTA updates", I can't even get a software update a mere 20 months later? Plus I can't even expect stuff that previously worked (ie Spotify) to continue to work? Or for customer service to reply to emails spaced months apart?

It's a good thing we have a $20,000 Kia which I can listen to music in, as the $330,000 Tesla is silent. I guess the Tesla executives enjoyed The Sound of Silence advertisement and decided no more Spotify enhances that experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: P100D_Me
One of the points repeatedly made to me before purchase was Tesla provides over-the-air (OTA) updates. I bought the car expecting it to get better. As a result I am frustrated that Tesla make the vehicles in the USA and more recently sold in Australia better, but they won't make my car better.

By way of contrast, when I buy a phone, Google keep making it better. When I buy a laptop, Microsoft keep making it better. When I buy a house battery, Sonnen keep making it better. But when I buy one of the most expensive cars ever released in Australia - at a price up to 2 orders of magnitude more expensive than any of the aforementioned examples - and where one of its key pre-purchase selling points was "OTA updates", I can't even get a software update a mere 20 months later? Plus I can't even expect stuff that previously worked (ie Spotify) to continue to work? Or for customer service to reply to emails spaced months apart?

It's a good thing we have a $20,000 Kia which I can listen to music in, as the $330,000 Tesla is silent. I guess the Tesla executives enjoyed The Sound of Silence advertisement and decided no more Spotify enhances that experience.

Tesla model S isnt even close to one of the most expensive cars released in Australia, and its always been the tesla way that we can software updates (and new cars) well after the US. You need to adjust to that. Sometimes we dont even get updates at all, like the new web browser just announced, but that isnt tesla’s doing.

I doubt it is anything to do with data caps from Spotify or mobile data limiting because it still doesn't work when you are on WiFi.
Not only that I have a family account with Spotify and the car has one of the logins so I'm not even trying to use the Tesla provided one.

Plus I can't even expect stuff that previously worked (ie Spotify) to continue to work?
That is the part that irks me the most with these OTA updates, they break features that used to work then either can't fix them or take so long to do so. When 'normal' software companies roll out updates (I'm certainly not referring to phone app developers here) you get a list of things that got fixed, not a generic 'bug fixes' line. With Tesla we have no idea if they have even attempted to fix the broken Spotify with each update.
And I still do not understand how they did a general release that rendered everyone's Spotify useless, how does that get past any 'in the wild' beta testing? We all knew within 5 minutes of installing the update that Spotify stopped working, and then for them to ponce about for 5 or so months still trying to fix it! Very annoying indeed.

Reactions: ICUDoc and Vegas
That is the part that irks me the most with these OTA updates, they break features that used to work then either can't fix them or take so long to do so. When 'normal' software companies roll out updates (I'm certainly not referring to phone app developers here) you get a list of things that got fixed, not a generic 'bug fixes' line. With Tesla we have no idea if they have even attempted to fix the broken Spotify with each update.
And I still do not understand how they did a general release that rendered everyone's Spotify useless, how does that get past any 'in the wild' beta testing? We all knew within 5 minutes of installing the update that Spotify stopped working, and then for them to ponce about for 5 or so months still trying to fix it! Very annoying indeed.
To be fair the general release didn’t stop ‘everyones’ spotify from working. My two are fine, and I have 3 friends / colleagues in Adelaide with an S, none of whom have had any Spotify issues. Maybe the Adelaide version is better.
But its abundantly clear that tesla do not have an effective checking regime in place before issuing software updates.