Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR+ Heated Rear Seats Paid Upgrade live: $300

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is cheaper, it is the same reason why they didn’t bother creating the cloth interior they showed off, or why none on the cars come with pocket lights, or frunk hooks.

By golly, you're right... there are both pocket and puddle. My puddles work, my fogs work, and my white parking lights work, but damn if those pocket lights work and worse, there's not only a spot for them, but there's a light in it and wired. Elon, you're quite a guy, you give us something and we can't use it. That's like giving your kid a toy and tell him, you can look at it, you can even touch it, but you can't play with it.

pocket light.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Fadiawesome
By golly, you're right... there are both pocket and puddle. My puddles work, my fogs work, and my white parking lights work, but damn if those pocket lights work and worse, there's not only a spot for them, but there's a light in it and wired. Elon, you're quite a guy, you give us something and we can't use it. That's like giving your kid a toy and tell him, you can look at it, you can even touch it, but you can't play with it.

View attachment 512172

Ok so, if someone designed or figured out a way to activate these things without using the software, would we be stealing? For arguments sake that is. Also, what would happen theoretically if someone took HW3 from one TM3 and put it in another Tesla TM3 or otherwise. I'm fairly certain legally we have the right to modify our vehicles however we see fit, which IMO includes the software that runs the thing. If someone far smarter than me found a way to safely "jailbreak" the car, there's no repurcussion legally from my vantage point. Now, Elon could take away the ability to use the superchargers or whatever else if he so chooses I guess. As far as the features carrying over with the car, that is not a given and we have had examples of just that

As far as the features carrying over with the car, that is not a given and we have had examples of just that
The examples are all cars that have been purchased by Tesla and then resold.

The ugly example is that Tesla did the removal AFTER they handed off the car. This was a crap move and from what I have read has been corrected. I certainly hope there are no more similar cases.

Here's the question then. How do we know exactly what they bake into our cost for the car?

What the market will pay. What competitors will release cars at. If we saw a Model 3 sized car with a 50kWh battery and 200+ mile range show up for $34,000 I bet Tesla would start making their $35k Model 3 easier to order (actually have it on the web page, etc). Right now they don't need to drop much below the $39,900 because there isn't really anything on the market to go against it. Bolt, that's $37k without DC quick charge. Kona EV and Niro EV, one's only sold is select states and the other is hard to come by AND they're both $37 to $38k.

If the market starts pushing downward I don't doubt we'll see Tesla trend down a little. They'll probably find a cloth interior for the SR and retail it down near $33 or $34k with AP included. Until then, it's very clear that Tesla wants to see a selling price around $40k.

What the market will pay. What competitors will release cars at. If we saw a Model 3 sized car with a 50kWh battery and 200+ mile range show up for $34,000 I bet Tesla would start making their $35k Model 3 easier to order (actually have it on the web page, etc). Right now they don't need to drop much below the $39,900 because there isn't really anything on the market to go against it. Bolt, that's $37k without DC quick charge. Kona EV and Niro EV, one's only sold is select states and the other is hard to come by AND they're both $37 to $38k.

If the market starts pushing downward I don't doubt we'll see Tesla trend down a little. They'll probably find a cloth interior for the SR and retail it down near $33 or $34k with AP included. Until then, it's very clear that Tesla wants to see a selling price around $40k.

That's fine and good. I understand how supply and demand works. What I'm saying is people in this thread argued that we didn't pay for these locked items to begin with and I'm saying that there is a cost factor to have them in the car to begin with and therefore we pay more. Tesla is publicly traded, these figures should be transparent.

That's fine and good. I understand how supply and demand works. What I'm saying is people in this thread argued that we didn't pay for these locked items to begin with and I'm saying that there is a cost factor to have them in the car to begin with and therefore we pay more. Tesla is publicly traded, these figures should be transparent.

I'm sure Tesla mentions a margin on the Model 3.

Get a quote on 20,000 black rear standard seats and a quote for 30,000 white rear standard seats. Then get a quote for 100,000 black heated seats and a quote for 150,000 white heated seats. See how much the parts difference in cost actually is. It very well could be that if Tesla just orders 10, 20, 30k more of the heated seats they get a further discount on every heated seat based on volume. If they save a small percent on 100k seats it might be cheaper than paying a little less for standard seats that are a fairly small volume...
They make their own seats in house.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker