Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR+ Heated Rear Seats Paid Upgrade live: $300

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To me it’s a great idea to put it as an option after you bought the car.
Tesla can avoid to create too many variant, same HW for everybody and via SW different upgrades if you want them or not.

It’s actually very good for the end user, how many times I bought something and later said, we’ll I should have spent a little more and get also this other thing.

If it’s a financial smart move from Tesla I leave it up to the Tesla CFOs to decide

If ya’ll are pissed about this I’d hate to hear your thoughts about not buying Tesla stock back in December 2019 before it took off...

Buy the option to turn them on or not, it’s really not much more than I anticipated paying and I’ve got family in town all week so it was perfect timing.

And remember, your vehicle is an appreciating object now...

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Hey Tesla, if you need $300, I will give $300 to activate lane change by turn signal on my Base AP. Kicking the AP off, changing lanes, and having to push down twice on the level to turn AP back on is just too much hassle.

I have FSD so I don’t know the answer to this question, but I was under the impression if you put your turn signal on it disables the auto steer functionality automatically. Is that not true? So it just requires you to turn it back on?

I have FSD so I don’t know the answer to this question, but I was under the impression if you put your turn signal on it disables the auto steer functionality automatically. Is that not true? So it just requires you to turn it back on?

Sooo time to read the manual and watch some YouTube videos so you don’t kill yourself or anyone else.

Next, since you DO have FSD when you hit the turn signal stalk the car *while AP is engagded* will make the lane change for you. The person you quoted does NOT have FSD so when they’re using AP *basically stays in the lane* they must disable AP then change lanes and finally re-engage AP.

One of the “features” of FSD is while using AP the car can change lanes without disengaging AP. Others you turn it off or wrestle the steering wheel or tap the brake to disengage AP so you can THEN change lanes.

Sooo time to read the manual and watch some YouTube videos so you don’t kill yourself or anyone else.

Next, since you DO have FSD when you hit the turn signal stalk the car *while AP is engagded* will make the lane change for you. The person you quoted does NOT have FSD so when they’re using AP *basically stays in the lane* they must disable AP then change lanes and finally re-engage AP.

One of the “features” of FSD is while using AP the car can change lanes without disengaging AP. Others you turn it off or wrestle the steering wheel or tap the brake to disengage AP so you can THEN change lanes.

Lol you completely misunderstood me. I have FSD. I know exactly how AP works for lane changing with FSD functionality. I was saying I‘m not 100% on how it works WITHOUT this functionality (i.e. if you have AP but not EAP or FSD).

Again, as I said in my previous post, I was under the impression that without EAP or FSD when you put your turn signal on then the car auto-disengages the auto steer functionality but leave the TACC on, so you didn’t need to manually disable AP to change lane while on AP. This was in response to the person (and you, too, apparently) that said that you have to disable AP to switch lane, when I didn’t think that was true. You only need to reenable auto steer with the double press, though, after the lane change.

Again, the above paragraph was my understanding - and what I was saying. Someone can chime in here and correct my understanding if it’s incorrect.

Now, if I’m correct, it may behoove you to read the manual. Touché. :D

Last edited:
Lol you completely misunderstood me. I have FSD. I know exactly how AP works for lane changing with FSD functionality. I was saying I‘m not 100% on how it works WITHOUT this functionality (i.e. if you have AP but not EAP or FSD).

Again, as I said in my previous post, I was under the impression that without EAP or FSD when you put your turn signal on then the car auto-disengages the auto steer functionality but leave the TACC on, so you didn’t need to manually disable AP to change lane while on AP. This was in response to the person (and you, too, apparently) that said that you have to disable AP to switch lane, when I didn’t think that was true. You only need to reenable auto steer with the double press, though, after the lane change.

Again, the above paragraph was my understanding - and what I was saying. Someone can chime in here and correct my understanding if it’s incorrect.

Now, if I’m correct, it may behoove you to read the manual. Touché. :D

Honestly I did misread your post. But I don’t think any of the people posting about AP have ever read the manual, they just come to the forum to post hoping for a quick answer. I imagine you would have to disable but I’ve had FSD since day one so I never had the chance to test this or not. Myyyyy bad, I lose 1 Internet to you

It should be included, honestly for the “bundled” price.
When you consider that Merc, BMW and Audi include auto lane change in their ~$1,200 ADAS packages while Tesla doesn't include it in their $3,000 (baked into the price of the car) Autopilot and wants you to pay $7,000 more for it, yeah.

Even so, I'd still pay $1K for it, probably even $1,500. Tesla is leaving a lot of money on the table from people who would pay $1K for this or $2K for that but absolutely would not pay $7K for FSD.

When you consider that Merc, BMW and Audi include auto lane change in their ~$1,200 ADAS packages while Tesla doesn't include it in their $3,000 (baked into the price of the car) Autopilot and wants you to pay $7,000 more for it, yeah.

Even so, I'd still pay $1K for it, probably even $1,500. Tesla is leaving a lot of money on the table from people who would pay $1K for this or $2K for that but absolutely would not pay $7K for FSD.

The biggest reason I refuse at this point is because I've learned that we really don't own anything we buy from them. At least not guaranteed

I was saying I‘m not 100% on how it works WITHOUT this functionality (i.e. if you have AP but not EAP or FSD).
The steering wheel torque sensor becomes super sensitive when you are signaling to change lanes. The slightest turn of the wheel disengages Autosteer but leaves TACC engaged. Once you're established in your new lane, you have to double tap the stalk to re-engage Autosteer.

It definitely takes some of the zen out of Autopilot. My Accord's lane keep handled this better - it suspended lane keep while signaling and for a bit after, then automatically reengaged when established in the new lane.

The steering wheel torque sensor becomes super sensitive when you are signaling to change lanes. The slightest turn of the wheel disengages Autosteer but leaves TACC engaged. Once you're established in your new lane, you have to double tap the stalk to re-engage Autosteer.

It definitely takes some of the zen out of Autopilot. My Accord's lane keep handled this better - it suspended lane keep while signaling and for a bit after, then automatically reengaged when established in the new lane.
See. This is how DA+ does it when you press firm for lane change, and soft for auto lane change. Tesla should totally bundle it in if they insist on keeping AP part of the car on all but SR trim.

Honestly I did misread your post. But I don’t think any of the people posting about AP have ever read the manual, they just come to the forum to post hoping for a quick answer. I imagine you would have to disable but I’ve had FSD since day one so I never had the chance to test this or not. Myyyyy bad, I lose 1 Internet to you

All good! Thanks for being a good sport about it. :cool:

Reactions: Matsayz