Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR/SR+ (Model 3 RWD) Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I called to ask if I should wait until I get a VIN to fill out the loan application and was told the "delivery within 2 weeks" and text message dates are not accurate. The customer support lady was kind of rude. She told me that I am only 1 week and 1 day out from my order so I need to have some patience. But 1 week and 1 day should mean I'm supposed to get my car within 6 days and I have no VIN and haven't been contacted about my trade in.

Im in the same boat, tho my trade in is "accepted" and everyone says its a seamless process. SR+ black. Ordered on 3/4 on the East Coast and got 3/13 - 3/25 dates. I am curious how ppl get their vins....do you just keep refreshing your account page or do you get an email/text? I guess we'll find out

I just wanted to add some thoughts to help new owners reading this thread know what to expect. (I took delivery of my Model 3 in September 2018 during the end of Q3 push).

1. As we are approaching the end of the quarter Tesla will likely rush to get you your car in the last few weeks of the Month if at all possible.

2. If you are contacted with an initial delivery date, don't be surprised if this date changes. These are often optimistic dates if everything aligns perfectly, so I would advise you put off major changes like selling your only car right before the planned date.

3. On or before you delivery date, if you are traveling a long distance I'd advise you to call the delivery location and validate your car is present. We had a few stories during these end of quarter rushes where people showed up but the car wasn't available and had to leave disappointed.

4. I suspect, based on circumstantial evidence I've seen that a large number of orders have come in and not many people will actually get 2-4 week delivery of the car. Tesla has always been way too optimistic and they have a bit of an incentive to make it look faster than it is.

At the end of the day, Tesla's delivery communication is still poor. That said once you get the car you will love it! Best of luck to all.

• Informative
Reactions: tiggerlu
Do they not make the vehicles based on the orders received? Or do they just make random (by popularity) variants of the different models? The first I would think would get you a VIN rather quickly. But the second seems like it would a nightmare to figure out. So many variables you'd have to take in. You'd have to sift through the reservations to find a match, among many other things. Sorry, a little off topic perhaps.

I just wanted to add some thoughts to help new owners reading this thread know what to expect. (I took delivery of my Model 3 in September 2018 during the end of Q3 push).

1. As we are approaching the end of the quarter Tesla will likely rush to get you your car in the last few weeks of the Month if at all possible.

2. If you are contacted with an initial delivery date, don't be surprised if this date changes. These are often optimistic dates if everything aligns perfectly, so I would advise you put off major changes like selling your only car right before the planned date.

3. On or before you delivery date, if you are traveling a long distance I'd advise you to call the delivery location and validate your car is present. We had a few stories during these end of quarter rushes where people showed up but the car wasn't available and had to leave disappointed.

4. I suspect, based on circumstantial evidence I've seen that a large number of orders have come in and not many people will actually get 2-4 week delivery of the car. Tesla has always been way too optimistic and they have a bit of an incentive to make it look faster than it is.

At the end of the day, Tesla's delivery communication is still poor. That said once you get the car you will love it! Best of luck to all.

Thanks for the details. I don’t really care how long it takes to get the car but I hate how they can’t give a good date. Makes selling your car much harder and plays a roll in the loan down payment as well.

Just switched my SR+ to a 2018 MR, Blue on Black, Autopilot. Got a pretty good discount (no charge for blue, $560 adjustment for 177 miles on the car). Given the uncertainty with the SR+ dates, I figure I should jump on a MR now:)

It's a viable move, and you get some nice upgrades with speakers and range. When you will get the MR car?

Be sure, as you know to check why it's at 177 miles - most likely a rejection from another customer, and could be very minor but just to be safe right? Update how things go, something I'm considering as well.

It's a viable move, and you get some nice upgrades with speakers and range. When you will get the MR car?

Be sure, as you know to check why it's at 177 miles - most likely a rejection from another customer, and could be very minor but just to be safe right? Update how things go, something I'm considering as well.

I was able to pick up the car on the same day. It was a demo, hence the 177 miles. I went through the car more thorough than I did with any other cars I have bought before, and all cosmetics stuff inside and out look good. I am not too worry about it, and the car has been good so far, except for the new CA temporary plate on the front. It's quite a nose generator at high speed!

Reactions: BeachK and tiggerlu
Has anyone ordered a new MR and received it? I ordered black with white interior on 3/2 and haven't heard a thing. Tesla has said this and hasn't changed: Estimated Delivery: within 2 weeks from order placed date

Nobody has heard anything new except the text messages we all got. Look at the spreadsheet, no vins have been given out yet, atleast in the small sample size of what we have.

Do they not make the vehicles based on the orders received? Or do they just make random (by popularity) variants of the different models? The first I would think would get you a VIN rather quickly. But the second seems like it would a nightmare to figure out. So many variables you'd have to take in. You'd have to sift through the reservations to find a match, among many other things. Sorry, a little off topic perhaps.
Matching orders to inventory is a fraction of a second, no one is sifting, it a keystroke of computation on a commuter.

New to this forum. Ordered SR+ black/black and no options on 28Feb. No movement yet. Called them regarding trade-in and was asked to complete trade-in info after VIN is assigned.

Update on this order. Decided to to move up to MR -- extra range, garage door opener and streaming audio changed my heart... Got matched almost immediately and was assigned delivery next week.

Reactions: 2012MS85
Update on this order. Decided to to move up to MR -- extra range, garage door opener and streaming audio changed my heart... Got matched almost immediately and was assigned delivery next week.

Did you call Tesla or your local dealer and asked to be matched? My Dealer seems to know nothing about doing this, or even offering any discounts on any in stock cars.

I called to ask if I should wait until I get a VIN to fill out the loan application and was told the "delivery within 2 weeks" and text message dates are not accurate. The customer support lady was kind of rude. She told me that I am only 1 week and 1 day out from my order so I need to have some patience. But 1 week and 1 day should mean I'm supposed to get my car within 6 days and I have no VIN and haven't been contacted about my trade in.

Sorry, but from the many threads for the last year on Model 3 deliveries, delivery dates before VINs are just helpful estimates.
It seems like they don't assign VINs to customers before the car gets to the delivery center.

Once they assign a VIN, the delivery follows in a couple of days unless the car fails its last final inspection at the delivery center.

The better question to start asking your delivery coordinator is where the car is within Tesla's logistics chain. You are in Arizona, so they probably will ship it from CA by truck and that's a couple of days in transit. Once on the truck, you'll have a much more reliable delivery estimate, and until then you are probably 1 - 2 weeks out.

Thanks, that is very helpful. I should be able to check with my delivery advisor to see if the car is in transit? Is that the first visibility they have into where the car is within Tesla’s system?

That was my experience back in July. I was able to find out when the car was on a train, but not until a few days after it started its journey.
The car was stuck in the Birmingham, AL railyards for a couple of days, so we moved the pickup date out to accommodate.

Apparently, even though if you want to fly anywhere in the SouthEast you change in Atlanta, but ship anything by rail and it gets routed through Birmingham. :-(

Did you call Tesla or your local dealer and asked to be matched? My Dealer seems to know nothing about doing this, or even offering any discounts on any in stock cars.

I was at the store yesterday to feel it more and started the conversation with one of the reps. He asked me to call today when the service/delivery center was open. I did and they located what I wanted and assigned it to me. Got VIN and delivery date in an email right after the call. The car has to get on a truck and come down here though. (They had silver inventory locally, but I wanted black or white)