Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR/SR+ (Model 3 RWD) Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the ordering hell started around 5/28 because not only of the fed tax credit but also 5/28 was the last day the referral code was worth 5k miles. But yes, it will continue to be busy as EOM approaches and the window of opportunity fades...

When the Fed tax credit halved at end of 2018, was the SR+ available to order? What was its price then? 39k without the 400? Wondering if I missed the opportunity then to pay about the same amount for a slightly better car.

The SR+ was not available last year. I believe it first came out in March. So no, you did not miss the boat. This probably IS the boat right now for the best opportunity to get a lower priced M3 as even though prices may go down a bit in the future as battery tech gets cheaper I doubt it will be enough to compensate for the nearly $4k we are getting off now.

Reactions: BlackStar
My experience is not quite so good. Ordered mine last Friday. Had all of the 'next steps' done the same day. So far haven't heard from anyone or received a VIN. I have called and was told someone would reach out to me this week. It's only been 3 business days and I know they must be swamped so I'm not really worried about it. All I really care about is that I take delivery by June 30 so I can get the tax refund before it's cut in half.

Did you create a new Custom Order or did you purchase a car in Inventory? I refreshed the local inventory listing on the Tesla site and was lucky enough to have my configuration pop up. When you purchase an Inventory car, the VIN is listed right in the listing, so I actually had the VIN before I placed the deposit. My car was already in town...it was just a matter of working the steps and scheduling delivery.

I have no doubt that a Custom Order would take quite a bit longer just based on the nature of the order fulfillment process.

Did you create a new Custom Order or did you purchase a car in Inventory? I refreshed the local inventory listing on the Tesla site and was lucky enough to have my configuration pop up. When you purchase an Inventory car, the VIN is listed right in the listing, so I actually had the VIN before I placed the deposit. My car was already in town...it was just a matter of working the steps and scheduling delivery.

I have no doubt that a Custom Order would take quite a bit longer just based on the nature of the order fulfillment process.

Custom order. I would have grabbed existing inventory if I could find any! I live in Minnesota, not exactly an EV hotbed so they probably keep inventory pretty light.

So its been 2 days already since ordering and no VIN number yet :( The spreadsheet in the Pinned post both provides hope and anxiety with some getting VIN #s the next day or faster, and others waiting, and waiting.

Any thoughts on how long it will really take to get my SR+, AP, MSM, Black, Aero wheels in NJ?

So its been 2 days already since ordering and no VIN number yet :( The spreadsheet in the Pinned post both provides hope and anxiety with some getting VIN #s the next day or faster, and others waiting, and waiting.

Any thoughts on how long it will really take to get my SR+, AP, MSM, Black, Aero wheels in NJ?

I think it varies wildly based on whether or not there's a car already built in your area that meets your spec.

My suspicion is that either a) the regional dealers match VINs and schedule delivery as the cars arrive, b) for home deliveries VINs are assigned centrally not long after vehicle leaves the factory, or c) car is already built and sitting on a lot somewhere close by at which time they assign a vin and coordinate delivery right away.

That said its looking like cars are flowing in within 2-3 weeks for SR+ models.

Reactions: sgreenstonenj

Spitball maths here, but current productions look to have VIN assignments to about 7-9 days and then shipping is a variable that depends on range from CA. I haven't managed to find a good shipping time estimator. And then there's still scheduling for pickup, which can vary a few more days.

Exact same configurations. Ordered 05/23. got the text from DA and VIN showed up on 06/01 for delivery on 06/04 in WA but have to move it to 06/08 because I'm out of town..

I guess it is just the old adage at work again...people typically tend to complain when things go wrong, but very few people take time to give kudos when things go right, so the reports that you read about online have a tendency to be skewed toward the negative.
Very true. Based on what people online have said I half expected to find a ton of issues.

I have one bit of door trim that isn't perfectly centered and some missing wheel well clips.

Paint and everything else is perfect. And the delivery process was amazing. Dropped it at my house and drove my trade off.

Reactions: SaddleSC
Reporting order to delivery progress.

Ordered Black/Black SR on May 13 with referral code.
Received delivery scheduling text on May 26.
Scheduled for June 5, car actually came in on June 1, but I had to sort out financing. Picked up yesterday, 5000 supercharger credits already added to account.
I was told to wait 7-14 days for the credit to appear in my account. day 7 here... still waiting

The whole process is incredibly frustrating. I spent way too much time trying to predict things from the chart on this site but I think Kognos is generally correct for cars ordered in the last few weeks in the USA. I got a delivery notice via text before the VIN but VIN within a couple of hours of that. Was never contacted by the delivery center by a human. Feels like I had to do a lot of leg work to actually close this deal out (financing and getting all the papers myself and sending them between Tesla and BofA), Getting Trade-in payoff information for Tesla myself etc. . . Hopefully it is worth it when I pick up my car the day after tomorrow! Interesting that it was painless to order the thing but actually closing the deal is exhausting!

The whole process is incredibly frustrating. I spent way too much time trying to predict things from the chart on this site but I think Kognos is generally correct for cars ordered in the last few weeks in the USA. I got a delivery notice via text before the VIN but VIN within a couple of hours of that. Was never contacted by the delivery center by a human. Feels like I had to do a lot of leg work to actually close this deal out (financing and getting all the papers myself and sending them between Tesla and BofA), Getting Trade-in payoff information for Tesla myself etc. . . Hopefully it is worth it when I pick up my car the day after tomorrow! Interesting that it was painless to order the thing but actually closing the deal is exhausting!
That’s surprising to hear. My guy called me, then called my bank to get payoff, I sent them a pic of my carmax offer. They matched it within an hour.

It was the easiest car purchase I’ve done.

Hope the rest of your delivery goes smooth