Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR/SR+ (Model 3 RWD) Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When does sales tax get calculated onto the total? I got the base of the base model 3 SR+ and it says:

Amount Due​

$41,277.25​

Includes taxes, fees, order fee and payments

Will it be updated closer to VIN? Here in TX sales tax for vehicles is 6.25%.

Here are the other details:

Price Details​

Model 3
$35,000.00
Standard Range Plus Rear-Wheel Drive
$4,990.00
Destination Fee
$1,125.00
Documentation Fee
$75.00
Order Fee
$100.00
Car Price
$41,290.00

Additional Charges​

Operating Permit Fee
$79.75
State Safety Inspection Fee
$7.50

Total Cost of Vehicle​

$41,377.25​

Payments Received​

Order Deposit
- $100.00
All dates and times in UTC

Amount Due​

$41,277.25​

For me my sales tax was included with my final price... not sure why it's not in there.

Reactions: Phyzi Driver
Just got my EDD for July 20- August 9 hope that holds. Odd I didn’t get a notification, would’ve had no idea unless I went in my account

Not so weird, lol. You'll see that EDD come, go, comeback, change, etc... all without notification. Honestly, it's probably not healthy to check it too often. If you do get an email or text notification from Tesla, then you've probably got a more concrete update to work with.

Reactions: esundman
Not so weird, lol. You'll see that EDD come, go, comeback, change, etc... all without notification. Honestly, it's probably not healthy to check it too often. If you do get an email or text notification from Tesla, then you've probably got a more concrete update to work with.
Not constantly checking but don’t want to be caught with my pants down like your car is coming tomorrow type of thing (I know that is unlikely but can’t put it pass them)

Yeah idk why either, misleading to say "Includes taxes, fees, order fee and payments" when it doesn't account for the sales tax.

Didn't I hear that Texas cannot sell within the state? That Tesla has to ship the cars out of state then bring them back in?

Not sure if this helps but this is the article I'm thinking about

When does sales tax get calculated onto the total? I got the base of the base model 3 SR+ and it says:

Amount Due​

$41,277.25​

Price Details​

Model 3
$35,000.00
$4,990.00
Destination Fee
$1,125.00
Documentation Fee
$75.00
Order Fee
$100.00
Car Price
$41,290.00

Additional Charges​

Operating Permit Fee
$79.75
$7.50

Total Cost of Vehicle​

$41,377.25​

Payments Received​

Order Deposit
- $100.00

Amount Due​

$41,277.25​

If your in Texas when the vehicle is registered at the local tax office is when you will pay sales tax. It seems like Sales tax wasn't included in the sale, then Tesla changed it to include Sales Tax, and now it's back to not including Sales Tax in Texas. Quite a mess.

Reactions: Phyzi Driver

Amount Due​

$41,277.25​

Price Details​

Model 3
$35,000.00
$4,990.00
Destination Fee
$1,125.00
Documentation Fee
$75.00
Order Fee
$100.00
Car Price
$41,290.00

Additional Charges​

Operating Permit Fee
$79.75
$7.50

Total Cost of Vehicle​

$41,377.25​

Payments Received​

Order Deposit
- $100.00

Amount Due​

$41,277.25​

Yea, Sales Tax is listed under Additional charges for me...

Additional Charges​

Tire Fee
$4.00
Title Fee
$55.00
Registration Amount
$69.00
Registration Service Fee
$17.47
Sales Tax
$314.70

Wonder how that would affect the sales tax not being listed on Tesla's site tho. Strange.

Maybe since you are not "Tech" buying inside the state of Texas that the sales tax would be tacked on at the DMV or something along those lines... Uncle Sam is going to get you one way or another.. Kinda like buying a used car/boat when you go and register it you are paying a sales tax?... Just spit balling here.

Yeah give them a call, the guy pulled up my account and gave me some good info. (559) 492-4880, press option 4, then option 1. They’re probably gonna ask you why you called them instead of your SC, I just said mine wasn’t picking up
I have called 3 times and it goes to their voicemail.

Probably due to the mass amount of people calling now checking on their orders.

I swear that when I get someone on the line, I am going to get the employee that has had to answer the same question 1000 times, who just wants to go home and drink himself to sleep.

Reactions: Aeonofgods
Wonder how that would affect the sales tax not being listed on Tesla's site tho. Strange.
I think it's because since Tesla is not officially selling you the car in Texas (it's set up as an out-of-state import by the consumer), they are not charging you a sales tax. However, you're applying for title in Texas and paying the tax at that time. At least that's my lame attempt at understanding the legal status of Tesla sales in Texas (where I used to live until 5 months ago).