Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR/SR+ (Model 3 RWD) Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh crap. I ordered my LFP through existing inventory. It said EDD Sept 23-26 all along. Today I logged on and it says EDD Dec 18 - Jan 07. Did they sell the car to someone else? I could have sworn when I placed my order that there was a VIN attached, but I couldn't find that anywhere now.
Yikes, seems like there's an issue for sure. I'd call Tesla right away and see what's up.

I told my SA that I specifically want an LFP pack SR+ and he said, he notated my request on my account. If I'm unable to get an LFP SR+, I'll have to go for the LR Model 3... I really don't want to spend the extra money, so I'm hoping it all works out. 🙏🏻
i’m sorry, i phrased that badly 😅

i don’t doubt that your SA noted this — more that it seems to be something beyond their control, especially since many of them are unclear which is which at time of delivery.

of course you can refuse the delivery if it’s not an LFP but my thought process is that since the new EPA is listed as 262 (new LFP range post-software update) and not 263 (the NCA range), tesla is under no obligation to guarantee one or the other. depending on production, cars that were canceled, etc — some deliveries may just be luck of the draw at the EOQ push and beyond, especially given the long wait dates now.

i really hope you get the car you want!!

i’m sorry, i phrased that badly 😅

i don’t doubt that your SA noted this — more that it seems to be something beyond their control, especially since many of them are unclear which is which at time of delivery.

of course you can refuse the delivery if it’s not an LFP but my thought process is that since the new EPA is listed as 262 (new LFP range post-software update) and not 263 (the NCA range), tesla is under no obligation to guarantee one or the other. depending on production, cars that were canceled, etc — some deliveries may just be luck of the draw at the EOQ push and beyond, especially given the long wait dates now.

i really hope you get the car you want!!
Isn't tomorrow your car's scheduled arrival date? ;) ;) ;)

Wondering, how many of us who ends up having the delivery in January with (if) tax credits rolling out effective Jan 1, will upgrade to LR from SR+.
I'll likely order a LR if it does go through, I'll see what life is like with the NCA SR+ I'm scheduled to pick up tomorrow.
My flight got cancelled a few hours ago so I have to drive the ~700 mi round trip now.
At least the ride back will be fun.

Reactions: asquared17
So it seems like the LFP battery is more desired than the NCA. If that is the case, besides the fact that you can charge to 100%, what other benefits does it have?
Will the performance decrease a little since it is a heavier car?
Is the degredation rate lower since the battery will have to go through less charge cycles?

So it seems like the LFP battery is more desired than the NCA. If that is the case, besides the fact that you can charge to 100%, what other benefits does it have?
Is the degredation rate lower since the battery will have to go through less charge cycles?
The claimed degradation is much less because of the chemistry, not the cycles

Just picked up ours. Saw this article when I was researching...among others.

LFP Battery Pros

• LFP (LiFePO4) is very underappreciated and often confused with Li-ion (which is a different chemistry). There are lots of advantages - I prefer them.
  • Pros (compared to Li-ion):
  • Much longer life cycle (10,000+ cycles in some cases - millions of miles).
  • Non-toxic, cobalt free and YES - nickel free. Lots of issues with Cobalt too (a whole story there).
  • Much cheaper in theory. Already under $100/kWh in China.
  • Safety. Aside from being non-toxic, LiFePO4 is also much more stable - less prone to explosion or fire from misuse or structural damage.
  • Lower internal resistance. This means they can deliver power faster than Li-ion (better acceleration ect). Also it should mean higher charge/discharge efficiency *I couldn't find clarification there*.
  • Very consistent discharge voltage (less power loss as they run out of charge).
  • Long shelf life.
LFP Battery Cons

• Lower voltage (3.2v compared to 3.7).
  • Lower energy density. From what I understand it's somewhere between 15 and 25%. But because of the long life cycle, after sometimes as little as 1 year of ownership, they'll actually have more capacity compared to a similar weight Li-ion (LiCoO2) battery.
  • That's actually pretty much it. Just energy density.

Just picked up ours. Saw this article when I was researching...among others.

LFP Battery Pros

• LFP (LiFePO4) is very underappreciated and often confused with Li-ion (which is a different chemistry). There are lots of advantages - I prefer them.
  • Pros (compared to Li-ion):
  • Much longer life cycle (10,000+ cycles in some cases - millions of miles).
  • Non-toxic, cobalt free and YES - nickel free. Lots of issues with Cobalt too (a whole story there).
  • Much cheaper in theory. Already under $100/kWh in China.
  • Safety. Aside from being non-toxic, LiFePO4 is also much more stable - less prone to explosion or fire from misuse or structural damage.
  • Lower internal resistance. This means they can deliver power faster than Li-ion (better acceleration ect). Also it should mean higher charge/discharge efficiency *I couldn't find clarification there*.
  • Very consistent discharge voltage (less power loss as they run out of charge).
  • Long shelf life.
LFP Battery Cons

• Lower voltage (3.2v compared to 3.7).
  • Lower energy density. From what I understand it's somewhere between 15 and 25%. But because of the long life cycle, after sometimes as little as 1 year of ownership, they'll actually have more capacity compared to a similar weight Li-ion (LiCoO2) battery.
  • That's actually pretty much it. Just energy density.

Great summary, i would like to add one Cons here, cold temperature will affect lfp battery performance.