Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stalk Button Now Disengages Auto Pilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Originally the stalk button turned ACC off completely. There was a notion of ACC being off, on, disengaged, engaged. One reason for an off setting was to allow resetting the saved speeds, turn the system off, then back on, much like a power cycle reset. They gave up on the off/on state so the button is now superfluous.

Originally the stalk button turned ACC off completely. There was a notion of ACC being off, on, disengaged, engaged. One reason for an off setting was to allow resetting the saved speeds, turn the system off, then back on, much like a power cycle reset. They gave up on the off/on state so the button is now superfluous.

Yep. At one point I (and several others as well) were advocating for the stalk button to be a mode switch to disable autopilot and bring back the large speedometer and power meter in the center of the the IC, like we had on the 6.2 software (or as on non-AP cars). That suggestion to Tesla seems to have fallen on deaf ears, not surprisingly.

(Why yes, I'm a little bitter about this, why do you ask?)

Yep. At one point I (and several others as well) were advocating for the stalk button to be a mode switch to disable autopilot and bring back the large speedometer and power meter in the center of the the IC, like we had on the 6.2 software (or as on non-AP cars). That suggestion to Tesla seems to have fallen on deaf ears, not surprisingly.

(Why yes, I'm a little bitter about this, why do you ask?)

The large power meter was awesome btw. I've only gotten time to really experience it on loaners. My feeling on what happened is they brought a talented guy in a long time ago to clean-slate the entire UI, and it was a pretty good job. Everything since that has been kind of hodge-podge. Features just duct-taped on without thought as to how they fit into a driver's usage. Like the stupid heated steering wheel control.