Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stalls blocked by Tesla Owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
you all missed the point.. a guy is blocking chargers with out-of-state plates and is an A-hole on top of it..
Call him out for the plates
Call him out to Tesla - unlike an ICE, they can look into a breach of contract since he's got a commercial business with the free supercharging.
And, can someone find the guy's cars on Turo? that'll be fun

Good idea regarding Turo. I use that service and thought of checking. Couldn’t locate anyone that fit the bill.

I see you are in Indiana. You can let your version of the DMV know about these vehicles as they are likely improperly registered in Montana to avoid the state sales tax. Could also check local ordinances on abandoned vehicles and/or the owner of the lot the super chargers are in (get them towed).

As long as the vehicles are operated as a busines. You see out-of-state rental cars often.

Tesla didn't put in the commercial use rules until later, so they may be older cars, and Tesla won't do anything to restrict them.

Best bet would be the lot owner, I think, but they may not care.

Call him out to Tesla - unlike an ICE, they can look into a breach of contract since he's got a commercial business with the free supercharging

We don’t know that. The a-hole part, well sure, we know that, but these vehicles could have been purchased before the supercharger terms changed. It is possible he is working within the contract on that front. What everyone is saying is that anyone that sees this happening should plug the car(s) in to charge. Cars plugged in and not monitored can accrue a bunch of idle fees.

As long as the vehicles are operated as a busines. You see out-of-state rental cars often.

Tesla didn't put in the commercial use rules until later, so they may be older cars, and Tesla won't do anything to restrict them.

Best bet would be the lot owner, I think, but they may not care.

A proper rental company would have apportioned taxes on their fleet. Montana registration is a common tatic to avoid sales tax on vehicles, more often seen in RVs. https://jalopnik.com/the-pitfalls-of-the-montana-license-plate-scam-1711216059
Given the number of cars with MT plates in IN with a seemingly local owner...

• Informative
Reactions: Raechris and brkaus
How did you open the charge port door?

BTW I did the same test and found I could open the charge port door too. I was shocked. Then I realized the car was not totally locked. I went around and tried to open the door and then the car went into complete lock mode and the charge port door that I had opened closed too. And from that point on I could press on it until the cows come home and it still would not open.
I plug my wifes car every day when it's locked. Sometimes you may have to wait a bit for the car to wake up (MCU2 takes longer) and wave the charge plug around to make sure the antenna picks up the signal. It has worked on all 4 of our Teslas, ranging from 2013 to 2018.

I know car owners in California who don't register their car in state after moving here can get hit with a huge fine. Not sure what Indiana's policy is or if the guy/or his company is an Indiana resident/business. Taking up charger space without needing to charge is unconscionable. I doubt Tesla will respond to you although they probably have looked into it. If they are doing it for business purposes and fall under the rules then I would think Tesla could suspend their supercharging. Would serve them right for using the supercharger stalls as their private parking space.

I think UMC may be coded to enable port unlock and charging for your own car. I’ve done this since 2013 on first S and also on new 2018. However, you must press button once to wake up car, and then again to open the port with light blue ring ready for charging. Interestingly, you cannot unplug without fob or app unlock.
Bo umc encoding. Ours opens both cars.

There is an article here somewhere about making your own button to pop the charge port doors. Someone made it to work with their j1772 setup.

Reactions: mongo
The UMC will open the charge port on a locked Model S. But not on a Model X. I don't know about the Model 3. I never understood the difference unless the Model S charge port is different and responds directly to the signal... But why wouldn't they have upgrade the S to that at some point. (Or maybe the newer ones are that way.)

• Informative
Reactions: jlv1 and CSFTN
I've seen plenty of EVs blocking chargepoints and just park there unplugged. There should be signs stating that parking without plugging-in and charging would result in being towed.

While I am against touching another person's property - I vote to plug-in the fleet of black Model S rental cars. They have no business parking in a Tesla Charging Stall unplugged.

Last edited: