Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stalls blocked by Tesla Owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At a nearby SC in Indy, I have noticed several black model S cars sitting in charging stalls not hooked up and charging, effectively blocking other Teslas from charging. Almost every time I drive by there, there is a black model S or more sitting there not charging. Upon further investigation, ALL of those black model S cars are plated in Montana. I have seen different individuals pull up in other ICE cars and drive away in these black model S cars, never the same person. Recently, I talked to another patron that was there charging and he told me the scoop about these black model S's. According to him, there are five of these black model S cars, all plated out of Montana and the guy is renting them out to drive. Apparently he advertises somewhere that people can rent these cars for a few hours, the day or a week and he charges them all free at this SC location and, I am told, is making a killing at it. Apparently, one owner that was charging there asked him about his enterprise and got a barrage of eff you and mind your own effing business, etc. etc. While it is my opinion that nobody should be running his own business renting out model S cars and charging them for free at the SC, my most obvious problem with this is the net effect of blocking several stalls while not plugged in, keeping other Tesla owners from charging their cars at those stalls. I have sent emails to Tesla customer support about this along with the VIN of the offending cars. I don't know if I'm spinning my wheels or not since I've had no response. If he is running a business that is making him money from all these cars and also blocking Tesla owners from charging, do you believe he should still be able to charge his cars freely? I have called on the 800 line also to report this individual, but after waiting longer than 10 minutes and still can't talk to someone, I've given up. Am I going about this correctly? Should I report this activity or just ignore it, and if so, how should I report it?
Get vin#s Your dealer will do the rest.

And if that fails, Super glue his charger door shut

If he/she continues doing this, I think the best option discussed is reporting these cars to the state's motor vehicle division and/or the local police department to investigate. I know Michigan is fairly tenacious to make sure cars were owners live more than 6 months and a day here must have MI plates and drivers license.

You could go to the local city police dept or sheriffs office and just mention something like " I have seen something very strange with these out of state cars being driven by multiple shady people who seem to put bags of white stuff in and out of the trunk at all hours of the day..." :)

Lots of superchargers have spots that allow general parking.
View attachment 404640

Here is what I see at Michigan superchargers - the ones I used have been located in / around Meijer stores in fairly large parking lots:

0507191451.jpg

Maybe it depends on what Tesla 'negotiates' with the property owner as to what the sign says...

Here is what I see at Michigan superchargers - the ones I used have been located in / around Meijer stores in fairly large parking lots:

View attachment 405395

Maybe it depends on what Tesla 'negotiates' with the property owner as to what the sign says...
Not sure why you put negotiates in ‘scare quotes’, but that’s exactly what happens. When there is general parking it’s only some of the spaces and the rest are supercharging only spaces. Remember they’re not Tesla’s parking lots, and the landlords have other interests to consider.

Twenty-two states and counties already have laws that prohibit blocking EV charging spots.
Indianapolis isn't one of them.
Legislation Reference - Reserved Parking for Plug-In Vehicle Charging | PlugInSites

In reading some of the laws regarding EV parking in SOME of the states, there is much verbiage used and in some states there is no reference as to it being against the law for an EV to be parked in these spaces while not charging. The laws enacted in other states have explicit wording saying that the vehicle in that space needs to be charging. Other states need to take heed of this and revise their statutes to make it illegal for any vehicle to park in these spaces without charging.

Many are like this one you posted and many say 10-30 mins depending on where and some have like two you posted and the rest are 10-30 mins. Its all academic until you have enforcement. Not sure who would enforce any of it ever really?

Actually it’s not. The no commercial use of superchargers policy means no commercial use— free or paid. But it only applies to cars purchased after 12/15/2017. This is why Tesloop can continue to operate LA - Las Vegas with their older cars.
Privacy & Legal | Tesla

Tesloop stopped driving to Las Vegas about 2-3 years ago and completely suspended their shuttle service October last year. Their business was going down a lot after the initial hype to be able to ride in a Tesla. They are now trying to sell a data capture service like Teslafi I think.

Tesloop stopped driving to Las Vegas about 2-3 years ago and completely suspended their shuttle service October last year. Their business was going down a lot after the initial hype to be able to ride in a Tesla. They are now trying to sell a data capture service like Teslafi I think.

Not exactly. They started three years ago, and suspended last October due to permitting issues: Shuttle Suspension and Carmiq Connected Car Community Launch

September 24, 2018
For the time being, in relation to California State permitting issues that are controlled by the Public Utilities Commission, we are suspending our operations of ‘Tesloop Shuttle’, effective October 1st, 2018. We expect to reconfigure our mobility service offerings around Carmiq in the future, once our new expanded PSC permitting is issued. These will include a broader variety of offerings in more locations inside and outside of California. We deeply apologize for any inconvenience this transition may cause to our existing passengers who have supported us thus far.

It sounds like they are going to start again, if they can get the permitting issue resolved.

Here is the link to contact the Indiana DMV. If you can provide pictures and plate numbers I will report them myself if needed:
myBMV - Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles

I'm not sure the Indiana BMV will give information on a car plated in Montana? I'm not gonna go trolling by the supercharger several times a day to catch this individual as it is five miles away (I do have a life), but I WILL take a picture of an offending Tesla, it's VIN and plate the next time I drive by there or am supercharging IF there happens to be an offending car. There has not been a car in a stall not charging EVERY time I've been there. I would estimate the frequency of non-charging at around 30% or maybe every three to four times I visit the SC. It has happened enough times that I was cognizant that something fishy was going on there. And there is at least one black Tesla or more (with Montana plates) parked in the parking lot there but not in a Tesla stall about 95% of the time I go to the SC. That is not my concern. My concern only deals with the blatant blocking of Tesla stalls while no charging is taking place. As I said, the last time I observed this, the offending car was there when I pulled into the lot, and was still there when I left over an hour later.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Big Earl
So the guy is stopping by the supercharger several times a day unplugging his rental cars when they are fully charged?
If it works like a UMC, I don’t see any issue plugging in his cars if they are occupying stalls. One could assume the owner was in a hurry (for a restaurant reservation etc) and just forgot to plug in. That could make a case for plugging in each of his cars. Technically you wouldn’t even be touching the cars.