Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stalls blocked by Tesla Owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I grew up in NYC I noticed people would stick adhesive notices on a car’s windshield stating, for example, that the car was blocking a driveway. People could try this, printing a notice that adheres to the windshield informing the owner that the Superchargers are to be used to charge a car and once charged, the vehicle is to be moved. That it is not a parking spot. To be kind, use a sticky paper that can be easily removed from the windshield without leaving any residue.

Reactions: David99
When I grew up in NYC I noticed people would stick adhesive notices on a car’s windshield stating, for example, that the car was blocking a driveway. People could try this, printing a notice that adheres to the windshield informing the owner that the Superchargers are to be used to charge a car and once charged, the vehicle is to be moved. That it is not a parking spot. To be kind, use a sticky paper that can be easily removed from the windshield without leaving any residue.

You've very courteous. I've got an Duramax turbodiesel that's rated to tow 13,000 pounds without a 5th wheel. I could probably move two or three of those "abandoned" Model Ss at a time. That is incredibly selfish to block stall access...unless they own the lot and/or Superchargers or was granted an easement by the property owner.

Reactions: RedOctober
Colorado just pass a bill at will enable local authorities to fine such offenders. Ask your State representatives to pass similar legislation. Below is a summary. You can get the complete bill at Electric Motor Vehicle Charging Station Parking | Colorado General Assembly

HB19-1298
Electric Motor Vehicle Charging Station Parking
Concerning the use of electric motor vehicle charging stations for parking a motor vehicle.
SESSION: 2019 Regular Session
SUBJECT: Transportation & Motor Vehicles
BILL SUMMARY
The bill authorizes the owner of a plug-in electric motor vehicle (electric vehicle) charging station to install a sign that identifies the station. If the sign is installed, a person is prohibited from:
  • Parking in the space if the vehicle is not an electric vehicle; and
  • Using the dedicated charging station for parking if the electric vehicle is not charging.
An electric vehicle is rebuttably presumed to not be charging if the electric vehicle is parked in a charging station and is not electrically connected to the charger for longer than 30 minutes. A person may park an electric vehicle at a charging station after the electric vehicle is fully charged in a parking lot:
  • That serves a lodging business if the person is a client of the lodging business and has parked the electric vehicle in the lot to charge overnight;
  • That serves an airport if the person is a client of the airport and has parked the electric vehicle in the lot to charge when traveling; or
  • Between the hours of 11 p.m. and 5 a.m.
The penalty for a violation is a $150 fine and a $32 surcharge.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricTravel
Many Supercharger spots allow general parking, with signs to match.
Where did you see this? Or are you talking about destination chargers?

Makes no sense to block any SC slot as they continue to see more and more use as M3s become more prevalent. This could impact folks who are traveling. I would be pissed to wait an hour from someone to move their car just because they wanted a parking spot. For all SC I have used, they are located in a parking lot with MANY other spaces for non-charging use...

Reactions: rich0

Makes no sense to block any SC slot as they continue to see more and more use as M3s become more prevalent. This could impact folks who are traveling. I would be pissed to wait an hour from someone to move their car just because they wanted a parking spot. For all SC I have used, they are located in a parking lot with MANY other spaces for non-charging use...
Lots of superchargers have spots that allow general parking.
149038D9-259D-4C75-B92C-46FE4D686035.jpeg

We don’t know that. The a-hole part, well sure, we know that, but these vehicles could have been purchased before the supercharger terms changed. It is possible he is working within the contract on that front. What everyone is saying is that anyone that sees this happening should plug the car(s) in to charge. Cars plugged in and not monitored can accrue a bunch of idle fees.

The idle fees only start if more than 50% of the stalls are in use :-(

I’ve seen it at a supercharger in a Wawa parking lot in Tampa. Losing general purpose parking would probably be a dealbreaker for a company like Wawa, so it’s unsurprising.

Where is this SC? Is it in a location with other businesses and very few parking spots?

I will have to check our Bay City MI one tomorrow to see if that wording is there (I have never noticed it)...
I don’t know which SC location that is.
I just know I’ve seen a lot of superchargers in California have those signs.
Yes everyone that I’ve seen with that sign was in a location with other businesses around.

Perhaps you can ask Tesla if these cars are violating Tesla's policy of not using cars for commercial business and getting free supercharging.

The nefarious side of me would ask a couple of friends who have spare cars to go with me and park lengthwise in front of the noses of those cars so that they couldn't move, leaving a note with my cell phone number.

Is this at the Beech Grove Supercharger? Found these photos on PlugShare so it might be it.View attachment 404616View attachment 404618

You got it. Attaching other photos so that others can get an idea. One of another VIN from a different car, obviously......and one photo of the stalls with only MY car there. This time when I went, no cars were left blocking the stalls, but of course you can see two of the black model S's in the parking lot adjacent to the stalls.
IMG_0056.JPG
IMG_0057.JPG
IMG_0058.JPG

I’ve seen it at a supercharger in a Wawa parking lot in Tampa. Losing general purpose parking would probably be a dealbreaker for a company like Wawa, so it’s unsurprising.

At a Wawa it probably isn't a huge issue as long as it is customers and not employees parking there. People are in and out in 5min most of the time.

Tesla really needs to make requirements for towing/etc or contract to allow them to do their own towing as a condition for installation, even if it means fewer charging locations.

A supercharger that is 100% blocked causes several problems:
  • It costs Tesla money.
  • It frustrates Tesla customers.
  • It causes the route planner to send people there with 30 miles range left and the next closest option 70 miles away. They'd have been better served if the station didn't exist, because then they'd get a route to one they could use instead.
It isn't as much of an issue if there are many alternatives within a close drive, though the map should have some way to report these so that people don't have to drive around hunting for them, potentially on a very low battery.

This is very common, part of the lease agreements with the property owner to designate some of the stalls as general parking for 30 or 60 minutes. Usually it’s due to zoning requirements that the business have x parking spaces, and exclusive supercharger spaces wouldn’t count towards that.

It’s been like this since day 1. This is why it’s recommended that you take a “general parking” space first at a supercharger, leaving the supercharging only spaces for later arrivals (assuming ICE owners might follow the sign and not park there).

If this is indeed a business and these cars are operating not in Montana I would think a friendly call or mail in to the DMV would cause them to look into forcing the owner to at least get them registered in state. Which from the prior posting leads me to believe it would be a major cost (and possible fine) to the owner. It won't stop the parking and taking up a spot but it would cause him/her to think about what they are doing.
Neh, just plugging them in to incur idle fees will work much better. Tesla should put up signs, "Be kind, if you see an unplugged car parked in a charger, plug it in".

At a nearby SC in Indy, I have noticed several black model S cars sitting in charging stalls not hooked up and charging, effectively blocking other Teslas from charging. Almost every time I drive by there, there is a black model S or more sitting there not charging. Upon further investigation, ALL of those black model S cars are plated in Montana. I have seen different individuals pull up in other ICE cars and drive away in these black model S cars, never the same person. Recently, I talked to another patron that was there charging and he told me the scoop about these black model S's. According to him, there are five of these black model S cars, all plated out of Montana and the guy is renting them out to drive. Apparently he advertises somewhere that people can rent these cars for a few hours, the day or a week and he charges them all free at this SC location and, I am told, is making a killing at it. Apparently, one owner that was charging there asked him about his enterprise and got a barrage of eff you and mind your own effing business, etc. etc. While it is my opinion that nobody should be running his own business renting out model S cars and charging them for free at the SC, my most obvious problem with this is the net effect of blocking several stalls while not plugged in, keeping other Tesla owners from charging their cars at those stalls. I have sent emails to Tesla customer support about this along with the VIN of the offending cars. I don't know if I'm spinning my wheels or not since I've had no response. If he is running a business that is making him money from all these cars and also blocking Tesla owners from charging, do you believe he should still be able to charge his cars freely? I have called on the 800 line also to report this individual, but after waiting longer than 10 minutes and still can't talk to someone, I've given up. Am I going about this correctly? Should I report this activity or just ignore it, and if so, how should I report it?
With my mobile cord at home and the doors fully locked, I CAN certainly open the charge port door... Without fail...hum...!!!