Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Starting and also ending the iPace "comparison".

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've spent a lot of miles in some model S since getting our Model X and the model S feels claustrophobic in comparison due to the lower roof height and lack of cockpit windshield, also less leg room in the back. I expect the ipace to feel worse than the model S in comparison.

But yeah, the model X won't perform well on the track. :rolleyes:

the X is more comparable to a Audi Q7, Lexus GX, Mercedes GLS, etc...

The problem with UK roads is that all the towns and cities were designed before the car was invented! So full of narrow streets and the parking spaces are all small too. It's not so bad out in the countryside, but you definitely don't want anything wider than a Model X.

Yes the Model X is directly comparable to an Audi Q7 in overall size and definitely a bit larger than a Porsche Cayenne. The iPace is more Q5 sized from what I've seen, but it does have a very long wheelbase with ultra-short overhangs. I'll get to take a look at the iPace this weekend, so will confirm how it compares in real life.

Reactions: Peteybabes
I’m glad track time is being mentioned- I’ll certainly drop by Silverstone for a cheeky few laps when I get chance.
Cooling should be about as good as it gets ... its usually pretty chilly up there!

In theory the i-Pace was engineered for sustained cooling when driven aggressively. The electronics are bath cooled (non-conductive coolant, like the injection computer on some diesels), and battery is supposedly cooled to max discharge rate which is 1.7 C and charge rate, which is 1.1 C.

The Western US will be a good test in the Summer of 2019. But we can still hit over 100°F in October here at some tracks so we might learn something this year if we are lucky.

yep my model x is the same way behind the 3rd row. :D pretty much a joke.

the only slight save is the frunk which is still too small in my opinion. (wish we could get frunks as big as the gen 1 S)
I disagree
Trunk in X is twice as big of MB (did you look under the shelf?)
Front trunk is pretty roomy as well
This comes from a dad of 4 small kids occupying car seats with one child using full size Orbit stroller
I do costco shopping for a week with the whole crew while still having stroller in the front
Trust me, cargo space is a lot bigger in the X

Last edited:
I disagree
This comes from a dad of 4 small kids occupying car seats with one child using full size Orbit stroller
I do costco shopping for a week with the whole crew while still having stroller in the front
i guess there is the "basement" that's where i keep my AR-15 + ammo and charging + cleaning supplies/accessories so it's of no use to me.

iPace is cute and works well as someones secondary car toy but there's no equal to the X for a BEV that can do anything and everything due to its ability to tow and supercharge.

I wrote this reply on redit to someone that said something to the effect that the Model S was closer in size to the ipace than the Model X. I thought I'd toss it here as well.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The S and X are close to the same length and width (based on the same skateboard / battery pack / drivetrain) https://motorchase.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Tesla-skateboard.jpg

If you are looking for the smaller Teslas, you would be more right to say it's comparable to the Model 3 and Y .

* Model X Dimensions: 198.3" L x 89.4" W x 66.3 H
* Mode S Dimensions: 196" L x 86.2 W x 56.5 H

--

* ipace Dimensions: 184″ L x 75″ W x 61″ H
* Model 3 Dimensions 184.8" L x 76.1 W x 56.8 H

Model 3 is closer in size by Length and width to the iPace.

iPace height is taller than 3 and S but shorter than X.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
At least in the EU it can tow, they seem to have changed their minds on that. 750kg tow mass, so something small is ok.
750 kg = 1653.47 lbs so Class 1
C8E154FC-71DD-8634-C8B8-9D30C00AE147.jpg

I disagree
I agree with you! We have five kids and used to drive an extended Navigator, which did not have as much room as my X. I can haul three sets of kids' golf clubs in the frunk as well as some tennis items. The other two golf sets and rest of their tennis gear, swim items, and my tennis stuff all fit behind the third row seats. My youngest is 7 and oldest is 13, so we have quite a variety of 'stuff' I have to haul around. (Speaking of, I am so glad I am not buying gas! We had to buy premium for our Navigator! It was not unusual to have to fill up twice a week.)

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
I wrote this reply on redit to someone that said something to the effect that the Model S was closer in size to the ipace than the Model X. I thought I'd toss it here as well.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The S and X are close to the same length and width (based on the same skateboard / battery pack / drivetrain) https://motorchase.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Tesla-skateboard.jpg

If you are looking for the smaller Teslas, you would be more right to say it's comparable to the Model 3 and Y .

* Model X Dimensions: 198.3" L x 89.4" W x 66.3 H
* Mode S Dimensions: 196" L x 86.2 W x 56.5 H

--

* ipace Dimensions: 184″ L x 75″ W x 61″ H
* Model 3 Dimensions 184.8" L x 76.1 W x 56.8 H

Model 3 is closer in size by Length and width to the iPace.

iPace height is taller than 3 and S but shorter than X.

While measuring bumpers and mirrors is a lot of fun, it's actually where they put the axles, tires, and roof that is the best measure of relative 'box' size for the interior seating. Efficiency of layout comes into play, but it's hard to use room that isn't there. The i-Pace is a cab forward design with an extended wheelbase.

Wheelbase of Model 3: 113"
Track of Model 3: 62"
Roof height: 57"
Box: 231 cuft

Wheelbase of Civic: 106"
Track of Civic: 61"
Roof height: 56"
Box: 210 cuft

Wheelbase of i-Pace: 118"
Track of i-Pace: 65"
Roof height: 62"
Box: 275 cuft

The Model 3 is closer in size to a Civic than to an i-Pace. But nobody is going to know until both cars are out there. There are more Model 3's on the road than i-Paces, but neither is available for sale to ordinary consumers.

In any case, nothing in this thread is what one would consider a full sized SUV. Today, tow rating is >7,000lb for at least 20 models, and seating is up to 9 adults. Top towing is well over 9,000lb. Range is often over 700 miles.

And there is always off-road ability which is where the term SUV came from, which were small off-road vehicles. Suburbans were classified as station wagons back then. The meaning of the invented term SUV has changed twice so far. Small off-road vehicle, large gas guzzling road barge, to today's "cars with funny shaped back ends".

The i-Pace has some of the Land Rover technology and will ford 500mm of water with it's 9.5" of ground clearance.

View attachment 307255
View attachment 307248

I recently saw a review of the i-Pace on youtube. The review is in Spanish (my mother tongue). I was underwhelmed by the size of the cabin, the cargo space and the frunk.

Edit: forgot to mention the horrible NOISE when accelerating!

The frunk is actually a joke. You can put a couple of bottles of water in there (not gallons). The driver seat feels cramped. I felt a bit claustrophobic just watching the video. Maybe the guy was too big? The back seats are not better than the Model X seats.

Cargo space seems ok, but nothing out of this world. A Model X with the third row down is much much better.

Edit: This is the video I saw (again... in Spanish)

I recently saw a review of the i-Pace on youtube. The review is in Spanish (my mother tongue). I was underwhelmed by the size of the cabin, the cargo space and the frunk.

Edit: forgot to mention the horrible NOISE when accelerating!

The frunk is actually a joke. You can put a couple of bottles of water in there (not gallons). The driver seat feels cramped. I felt a bit claustrophobic just watching the video. Maybe the guy was too big? The back seats are not better than the Model X seats.

Cargo space seems ok, but nothing out of this world. A Model X with the third row down is much much better.

Edit: This is the video I saw (again... in Spanish)

I'm surprised at the helmet clearance and how easy the guy fit in the boot. Must be a midget?

I imagine what you want in the froot is the EVSE since the charge port is in the front. You can probably put your chains in there too. It's certainly larger than the F-Pace froot.

The BMW style 'simulated engine noise' is controlled by a switch. It's for those folk who use to put baseball cards in their bicycle spokes and never grew out of it. Fashion is fashion, but I'd leave it off and put on some rock-n-roll.

There are 2 seat designs, a Recaro-style track seat, or a more conventional bucket with less side bolsters.

If you scale the Model X down by it's price difference, it works out. At least in the US.

A red car, 20" deluxe wheels, deluxe light colored leather interior w/20 way seats, air suspension, electronic shock absorbers, HUD, 360° bird's eye view, 99 mph automatic braking, off-road mode including Crawl Mode and anti-rollover, adaptive cruise control, and autosteering.

MX100D = $115,000 USD
i-Pace 90kWh FE = $86,895 USD