Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

State based EV road user charge (Overturned 18/10/23)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If we can only influence legislation through legal action in the high court
One of the worst ways to influence legislation is through the legal courts.

I did not vote for the judges sitting on the High Court of Austrlaia or any lower courts.

Public policy and its associated legislative activity should always be decided by the Vote. Courts interpret, not make law

You unfortunately and most likely did not vote for the policy makers either. They're politicians who get elected not based on their qualifications, wit, and soundness of mind, but based on how much money industry bodies have put behind their candidatures.

Reactions: dronus
You unfortunately and most likely did not vote for the policy makers either. They're politicians who get elected not based on their qualifications, wit, and soundness of mind, but based on how much money industry bodies have put behind their candidatures.
The more i take notice (which isnt much) the more it all looks like one big real life episode of Utopia :)

Reactions: bradjc
You unfortunately and most likely did not vote for the policy makers either
Im pretty sure last time I looked each member of the australian parliament had to be voted in. Every person eligible to vote had 1 vote.
To then say that vote is useless but then give power to unelected people is absurd....
Anyway back to normal programming.....

Umm. no. It takes many millions of dollars to run a successful election campaign to pay for air time, social media placement, old style advertisement, and (often borderline undue) influencing by promising major sponsors a return on their investment. This pretty much makes it impossible for sachpolitik driven intelligent individuals to participate in the process unless they subscribe to a major party platform. The result of this pre-screening is a population of politicians who are either well adjusted administrators blandly and visionlessly going where everyone has gone before (i.e. the current crew), or pathological narcissists spewing dumb polemics and having us all pay for what they promised their donors (i.e. the last crew). In both cases, the result is a grab bag of lowest common denominators.

A partial solution to this would be to replace the current system with a direct democracy and provide an advertising and candidature budget for each candidate, above which they are not allowed to spend. That would sort the plutocratic aspects of our system here.

To resolve the nepotistic aspects, you'd also have to remove gender segregated, private, and religion run schools, and then wait a generation.

• Funny
Reactions: EcoCloudIT
The major parties spend well under $1M per candidate in Australia.

It's easy to think, oh people only vote for the major parties so much because they get so much money to spend, but Clive Palmer far outspent the major parties and got very little to show for it. The difficult truth is that many people vote for the major parties for a bunch of other reasons.

Reactions: Vostok
I did not vote for the judges sitting on the High Court of Austrlaia or any lower courts.

And that’s a good thing too. If you want a judiciary that is the result of a political process, I give you the USA 🙄

Public policy and its associated legislative activity should always be decided by the Vote. Courts interpret, not make law

Courts often make law when they make a decision. It’s called case law, based on precedents and common law. No written law can ever cover every conceivable set of circumstances in some alleged transgression. It’s not possible for there to be a single “interpretation” every single time.

And the High Court can make new law when it hands down a decision on a constitutional matter, just like it did on this occasion in Vanderstock vs Victoria. In this case, it has redefined what “excise” means in taxation law.

A country where absolutely everything needed to be voted on would grind to a halt and be completely unworkable. We’d be voting on thousands of things per day… 🙄

Reactions: bay74
A country where absolutely everything needed to be voted on would grind to a halt and be completely unworkable. We’d be voting on thousands of things per day… 🙄
Switzerland is calling and begs to differ. ;) The popular vote has many things to decide. Not that it makes for much better decisions mind you.

Since we're now doing movie references, quoting an appropriate line from Orson Welles' the third man: "...in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had [...] 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

To be fair though, it also "produced" stability and political consensus unseen in any other country on the planet. And it's not 500 years of democracy, it's only since 1848.

Reactions: Hungry Mile

EV owners to receive tax refunds with interest by early 2024

It'd be nice if they refunded the forced credit card surcharge... but i'm guessing they won't

I wonder what the Vic Govt's view on 'early 2024' is, I guess it's anytime before July 1.

Admittedly you don't buy a EV to save money given the depreciation hit with Tesla's now but still the 2.x years that we paid that fee it'd be nice to get it back...