Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

State Farm insurance raising rates on Tesla Model S in Ohio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, Allstate insurance in NorCal..It went up $400/year. The agent said Allstate changed the rating for the MS. Citing the cost to repair is higher than originally calculated. Not good. Oh well.

Hey, you're a Lewis Hamilton fan! So am I, much to my girlfriend's chagrin, who is a Nico Rosberg fan.

Just got a call from my insurance agent that my insurance will go up $10 a month for my Tesla Model S 90D.
Nothing has changed in the last four years since my first Tesla Model S.
except My Tesla is safer!
Anyone else get the same call or the same price increase?
Ohio or anywhere else in US?

As a "former" State Farm insured please shop your rate. I was one of those guys that kept my State Farm insurance that I had from the time I turned 16 through mid 40's never once really scrutinizing them the way I should have. Found a great insurance broker in the Atlanta area and found out that there was so much better policies available than State Farm ever offered me, even when asked, at even better prices than State Farm had ever offered. I think SF plays preys and in general takes advantage of long term customers. I now use Encompass for all of my insurance in one package and OH MY goodness is the price a LOT better but the coverage is immensely better.
(just in case you haven't, find a good trustworthy recommended insurance broker to shop everything)

Keep in mind that it's not just what the coverage is but how your insurance company deals with things when it comes time to process and pay the claim. I've read some accounts on here of issues and delays that people have had with various insurance companies when they have been in an accident, their fault or not. Issues such as not wanting to pay the rates at Tesla approved shops for one which could void your warranty depending on what needs to be done. Seem to recall at least one person who after fighting with his company to cover the labor rates ended up paying the difference just to get his car fixed.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: RacerX
I am in Ohio and have Travelers. My three 6-month renewals since purchasing my CPO '13 S85 have all been within $17 of each other for the S's portion of the bill. The latest renewal is for this month, so this info is at their current rates. For what it's worth, insurance was the only major annual or semi-annual bill that decreased when I moved from Orlando to NE Ohio a couple years ago. The 50% reduction in insurance was very nice.

State Farm jacked my rate by $400/yr this time around. I went to complain and my agent said he'd call (but for me to go ahead and pay half of the current 6mo amount). I got the next bill (for the balance) and it was still the higher rate.

Probably going to shop around. Insurance broker might be the ticket.

Hi, Allstate insurance in NorCal..It went up $400/year. The agent said Allstate changed the rating for the MS. Citing the cost to repair is higher than originally calculated. Not good. Oh well.

Hey, you're a Lewis Hamilton fan! So am I, much to my girlfriend's chagrin, who is a Nico Rosberg fan.

State Farm said that all the texting/distracted driving is making them pay out more money.
They didn't blame it on the Tesla ... so all the rates are going up :(
Yes I pull for Lewis ... he sure was working hard to win the Spanish Grand Prix. During the race breathing hard in radio transmissions.

Reactions: Blu Zap
My S replaced a car that was worth < $20. Given the 2017 S is worth so much more, and has much higher repair costs ($1200 for a new windshield for instance), it was not unreasonable to expect to pay more, on the order of $45 a month more with State Farm = $114 per month with multi-line, multi-car, antitheft, safety, and renewal discounts reported to be $560 for 6 months for the S. Looking at the line item details, the only aspect which is higher is the collision. If someone in TX is paying substantially less than $114, I would be interested in hearing what it is.

• Informative
Reactions: Dr. J