Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

StateFarm doesn't know about the 90D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Trnsl8r

S85 2012-2018, X90 since 2016, 3 since 2018
Aug 20, 2011
San Jose, CA
Hi all,

About to bring home the X 90D and working on getting insurance. Turns out my VIN indicates to StateFarm it's a 75D. When I tried to correct them, the (detail challenged) agent quoted me on the P90D. After some back and forth, she assured me that in their systems the Model X only comes in two "body styles", 75D and P90D.

Anyone else have this problem?

(As a journalist may have written: a call for comment from my DS was not immediately returned.)

• Informative
Reactions: kavyboy
Just found out from the DS that some models share the same VIN numbering system, for example when they software upgrade battery capacity, so that's why the insurance company can't tell the difference from the VIN.

The battery size is not encoded in the VIN, so there is no way for an insurance company to tell the difference between a 75D or 90D from the VIN alone. From my experience, they use a combination of VIN and the price to determine the rates.

---edited: removed "P90D" from "difference" list

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike and Trnsl8r
The battery size is not encoded in the VIN, so there is no way for an insurance company to tell the difference between a 75D or 90D or P90D from the VIN alone. From my experience, they use a combination of VIN and the price to determine the rates.

Well, per your link, they can distinguish between standard and performance in digit 8, but otherwise I guess they're on their own.

Reactions: vandacca
Why do they even care? You can option a 75D to be more than a 90D. My insurance place just wanted to know the VIN and the price I paid. That's logically what they need to know in order to determine risk. I guess unless they are actually evaluating the 90D as a higher crash risk than a 75D because of the slight speed increase?

My only issue with it was that the insurance card stated it to be a 75D, when in fact it's a 90D. Not sure if that would make a difference for a future claim, but wanted to play it safe. I talked to branch owner and gave him a copy of the purchase agreement, which he used as proof to corporate that there is such a model. He also stated that Tesla isn't as cooperative in sharing different model info, but that could be hearsay. In the end, my insurance card shows the right model now.

I added an X with our State Farm rep back in July, and they didn't have any problems with it being a 90D. The 75D's were just starting to come out at the time, but if they had it once, it seems like it should still be in the system somewhere.
I added mine as well with State Farm (via an after hours agent on the phone) and they had no problem selecting a 90D.

Shows up as this on my insurance card:
2016 TESLA MODEL X ELECTRI 90D

Reactions: Scmbug
I'd make sure your insurance reflects the correct model:

1. If it is reflecting higher then its reflecting more performance (a bit) and you may be paying extra. It would also be reflecting more base cost.

2. If it is reflecting lower, then you need to even more I'd say to ensure they know the true value of the car and correct model. Thus, if the car is wrecked of even totaled, you don't want them initially finding similar market value of a lesser model to give any replacement value on - or you could see yourself arguing with them in the future to correct.

I took delivery of my MX 90D on March 23, 2016. I called State Farm on that day and they did not have the Model X in their system yet. However they understood the car existed and gave me insurance without a problem. I'm looking at my invoice from State Farm now and it states, "Model: Model X EV." Also, I didn't find the insurance cost out of line for a $111,000 vehicle.