Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering wheel controls confirmed - "feels like a spaceship"!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Annnndddddd......once again, You-Know-Who can't keep a secret! This was a big part of what was supposed to be the Part 2 of the Unveil!

Anyone care to bet I'm wrong?

'Coures, I love it; furthermore, take a look at the Franz vH mock-up sketches that are out there: even those first drafts show a Broken-D shaped steering wheel (...I'm sure there's another term for that, but it'll work).

Reactions: Bimbels
As in Mercedes F200

Mercedes-Benz_F200_concept_interior.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: tomsky and Bimbels
Annnndddddd......once again, You-Know-Who can't keep a secret! This was a big part of what was supposed to be the Part 2 of the Unveil!

Anyone care to bet I'm wrong?

'Coures, I love it; furthermore, take a look at the Franz vH mock-up sketches that are out there: even those first drafts show a Broken-D shaped steering wheel (...I'm sure there's another term for that, but it'll work).

When is the part 2 reveal? I can't wait and so am happy to get stuff "leaked" out.

Thanks for that pic, peigenmann. That could explain a question I have had: look at pix from the Reveal of the center console. What is that blank space in front of the cupholders?

I haven't heard or read anything from those at the Reveal who asked or were told about it - but your Mercedes reference would provide the perfect answer.

On edit: this would pose an insurmountable challenge for those who are either temporarily or permanently handicapped in their inboard arm. There is zero way to use your outboard hand to manipulate that sidestick. I'm not saying that's a deathblow: either that person is fully reliant upon autonomous controls or must relegate himself or herself to lesser automobiles.

For some reason I cannot upload the picture (thanks to anyone that is able to!), but if you look closely at those Franz sketches that were referenced (Musk posted one in the last 24 hours on Twitter), you can see the steering wheel is not a full circle and it appears to have some detail in the middle that could be a screen or controls. Also remember that in an early iteration of the Model X steering wheel, there were touch screen controls for volume, etc.

Thanks for that pic, peigenmann. That could explain a question I have had: look at pix from the Reveal of the center console. What is that blank space in front of the cupholders?

I haven't heard or read anything from those at the Reveal who asked or were told about it - but your Mercedes reference would provide the perfect answer.

That's what I think the blank space might be for. Also, one stick in the center would mean one model for all markets, no matter whether LHD or RHD => more efficient production... And when autopilot is enabled there would be no "useless" steering wheel in the way. I imagine it would be much more comfortable on the highway.

It might seem a bit far fetched, but then again, so we're falcon wing doors...

That's a covered storage console. See video #2 here: Tesla 3 Test drive

On edit: this would pose an insurmountable challenge for those who are either temporarily or permanently handicapped in their inboard arm. There is zero way to use your outboard hand to manipulate that sidestick. I'm not saying that's a deathblow: either that person is fully reliant upon autonomous controls or must relegate himself or herself to lesser automobiles.
As a lefty, a center console sidestick (operated with the right hand) would probably be a dealbreaker. To your point, I suppose there are those who would equate "lefty" with "handicapped" :)