Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering wheel or stalks control?

If it is possible to order/change to stalks what would you do?

• I will order my new car with stalks

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • I am now used to the steering wheel control, love it!

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • I would be willing to pay to get stalks back in my current car

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • I did hear good stories about the stalk free Tesla's and will purchase with steering wheel controls

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

pp61

Jan 19, 2016
Switzerland
It seems that the majority of the people order their new car with normal steering wheel. Money is spend to "upgrade" current cars to round steering wheels.
However, the poor design to control the turn signals did not change.
Maybe this poll can help Tesla........

• Funny
Reactions: Hayseed_MS
It seems that the majority of the people order their new car with normal steering wheel. Money is spend to "upgrade" current cars to round steering wheels.
However, the poor design to control the turn signals did not change.
Maybe this poll can help Tesla........
The normal steering wheel is the yoke (which is the default). I know a few very vocal people choose the round wheel, and there is nothing wrong with that. It would be interesting to see the take rate on the non-standard round wheel. As to turn signals, I find the new design works just fine. So did the old design. I have no strong preference (and have used both for > 1 year). Those that never used the yoke or the turn signals seem to have the biggest issue with them, so hard to get a poll on actual users.

It would be interesting to see the take rate on the non-standard round wheel.

That has now flipped. The round wheel is now standard, and the yoke is a $250 up charge.
Those that never used the yoke or the turn signals seem to have the biggest issue with them

You continue to say this, and have not proven it to be true, at all. Got proof?

I'd have to go back, but several times I've asked specific complainers only to find they don't own a Model S/X and have never driven the car with a Yoke. It is obvious there are those that own the yoke and don't like it, but it's so odd that Tesla gets so many complainers that add to the hate when they have never tried it.

Not sure why the Yoke is the premium option now. It doesn't look any more expensive to make, but it will reduce the number of users that buy it.

I'd have to go back, but several times I've asked specific complainers only to find they don't own a Model S/X and have never driven the car with a Yoke. It is obvious there are those that own the yoke and don't like it, but it's so odd that Tesla gets so many complainers that add to the hate when they have never tried it.

Not sure why the Yoke is the premium option now. It doesn't look any more expensive to make, but it will reduce the number of users that buy it.

It’s interesting because I feel like the most vociferous among us - folks like @TLLMRRJ and myself, among others, are most assuredly owners and speaking from a position of experience.

The “if you say you don’t like it, that only means you haven’t tried it” is a total myth.

It is interesting that Tesla backtracked to the point of making the round wheel standard. This would be because they found out most people don't like it, there is a potential safety issue, and/or it is a cost saving issue that the round wheel is less expensive (not necessarily in that order).

You do not have as much control with the yoke. It is more difficult to rest your hand on the bottom of the wheel on a long drive. Your arms must frequently cross the airbag inflation area just to steer properly, which is something that should be avoided unless you want your arm to slam into your face with great force in a collision.

• Funny
There were numerous reports of material peeling off of the yoke as well, perhaps due to the sharper radii where you put your hands. Tesla had been replacing them under warranty, sometimes over and over. Not sure if they solved that issue or if it persists with the current revision of the yoke, but I'm sure that took its toll on the total cost of the part.

Now if the capacitive buttons would start to fail maybe we could get real buttons and stalks back. But I'm not holding my breath.

Reactions: DerbyDave
I honestly like the turn signals and wipers on the wheel so much better than stalks. When I drive another car it no longer feels natural to take my hand off the wheel to engage the stalks. My hands are holding the wheel in the spot where all I do is move my thumb a bit and hit the signal. I think if they moved the horn back to the center and added some phone/media controls it would be perfect.

I think I could probably get used to the turn signals, but not changing forward/reverse on the screen, especially in short order where you're parallel parking, or if you have to pull back into your spot to avoid an accident from someone else backing up that doesn't see you. The additional "AI" direction selection only serves to lengthen the learning curve by not forcing you to establish any muscle memory every time you go to drive.

Really hoping the S3XY buttons can someday be programmed to select drive/reverse.

I honestly like the turn signals and wipers on the wheel so much better than stalks. When I drive another car it no longer feels natural to take my hand off the wheel to engage the stalks. My hands are holding the wheel in the spot where all I do is move my thumb a bit and hit the signal. I think if they moved the horn back to the center and added some phone/media controls it would be perfect.
The 2023.12.1 recent update added phone controls to the left scroll wheel and now displays the call on the front screen.

The 2023.12.1 recent update added phone controls to the left scroll wheel and now displays the call on the front screen.
I’m a hw4 vehicle with FSD so I won’t get that update for a while I’m sure. I was thinking another button where the horn is now and put the horn back in the center of the wheel. My ideal setup would be turn signals and windshield wipers on one side, voice/phone and media controls on the other, and autopilot right where it is now with the other wheel being customizable sort of like it is with the last update.

I’m a hw4 vehicle with FSD so I won’t get that update for a while I’m sure. I was thinking another button where the horn is now and put the horn back in the center of the wheel. My ideal setup would be turn signals and windshield wipers on one side, voice/phone and media controls on the other, and autopilot right where it is now with the other wheel being customizable sort of like it is with the last update.
I have a HW4 MS. Took delivery 3/31. FSD not available yet let alone enhanced autopilot. I don’t even have park assist. How do you have FSD on HW4? What is your current software?

I have a HW4 MS. Took delivery 3/31. FSD not available yet let alone enhanced autopilot. I don’t even have park assist. How do you have FSD on HW4? What is your current software?
Sorry, I wasn’t clear, hw4 with fsd purchased, I don’t have 11.4 yet, if hw4 even gets this next 2023 build. I’m still on 2023.6.11.2. That looks to be the latest that we can take without worry of passing by the 2023 branch, as 2023.12.1 is past the 11.4 build unless something changes.