Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering Wheel / Yoke option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting. The yoke is pretty wide. Is the wheel larger than other wheels, in your opinion?

It's like a bus wheel. It's pretty huge when you look at it, especially since it's so plain looking compared to other modern luxury cars. You just see a lot of wheel without all the gadgets to distract you from its size.

The yoke and the wheel use the same control panel, so that's why they are the same diameter.

Last edited:
I just picked up my Plaid with the new wheel. I agree the placement is perfect and the driving position very comfortable. My only complaint is that the car was delivered with the steering wheel center position about 10 degrees off from the wheels center position. I have a service appointment in a few weeks to take care of that.

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
I just had the opportunity to test out the wheel on my friend's MS. There is definitely a little play with the airbag, as opposed to none with my yoke. It would be nice if this means they will had a real horn button, but I highly doubt it

I just picked up my Plaid with the new wheel. I agree the placement is perfect and the driving position very comfortable. My only complaint is that the car was delivered with the steering wheel center position about 10 degrees off from the wheels center position. I have a service appointment in a few weeks to take care of that.
It has a key. The steering wheel placement is fixed. Taking the wheel off and putting it on won’t center it. Your alignment is messed up.

Got the wheel installed yesterday. Material seems to be better than the yoke and this feels much more comfortable for me. Gave the yoke a try for more than a year and 14k miles. Didn't hate it, but wheel works better for me.

Screenshot_20230413_111835_Gallery.jpg

Got the wheel installed yesterday. Material seems to be better than the yoke and this feels much more comfortable for me. Gave the yoke a try for more than a year and 14k miles. Didn't hate it, but wheel works better for me.

View attachment 928074
Jealous, I'm eagerly waiting for it in the Netherlands. Every time I drive my girlfriends Fiat 500 I realize how much a miss a normal steering wheel. The Yoke is not horrible, but man... Why... Just why...

Same for me. About 15k on the yoke and it was fine, but like the wheel is so much better. It's much easier driving around town, parking and my hand position is more comfortable. If Tesla could have done a variable ratio steering like lexus, then I don't think the yoke would have been as much of a problem.

Same for me. About 15k on the yoke and it was fine, but like the wheel is so much better. It's much easier driving around town, parking and my hand position is more comfortable. If Tesla could have done a variable ratio steering like lexus, then I don't think the yoke would have been as much of a problem.
I don't know how you can do a variable ratio without going full drive by wire. I assume that would have some additional safety risks since you wouldn't have a mechanical coupling between the yoke and the wheels in the event of a power failure. And you'd probably lose road feedback and feel. It would be a video game controller.

Reactions: ShanVan