Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stick on vinyl number plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Give it a few days and you’ll forget all about them! I was the same but it’s a case of being so close to them when you’re never normally that close

first long trip yesterday up to Reading and back from Devon, saw a few M3s whilst driving and charging (all waved ;) )

Saw an identical white M3P to mine but with stock plates and it made me realise truly how much cleaner and sleeker mine looks

thanks so much to the original posters and this is a great improvement :)

Thanks both. The vinyl plates were from:

Buy Legal Number Plates – Replacement Number Plates Online

delivered two days after ordering.

Before I removed the old plates I marked the position of the ends on the body with some PVC tape. This acts as a position guide for the new plates.

To remove the old plates and fit the new ones:

1. Unclip the old frames at the top on both ends. The frame hinges forward.
2. Remove the old plate.
3. Unscrew the plate holder frame.
4. Unbolt (front) or unscrew (rear) the plastic base.
5. Thoroughly clean the area below the old plates.
6. Wipe the area down with IPA to thoroughly degrease it.
7. Fill a spray bottle with water plus a DROP of washing up liquid.
8. Spray the body where you are going to fit the vinyl plate to wet it.
9. Remove the backing paper from the new plate.
10. Spray the adhesive side of the plate to wet it.
11. Fit the plate. The water lets you move it into the correct position.
12. Using a plastic card wrapped in a cloth, press the centre of the plate and gradually work your way outwards to remove excess water and air bubbles.

In terms of blemishes: where the front plates are removed you are left with two rough holes from the self-tapping screws they use to fit the frame. I GENTLY used a countersink bit by hand to remove the burring so the holes were perfectly flat.

When the rear plates are removed there are two plastic fixings (flush with the body) and a small recessed area. I simply fitted the vinyl plate carefully over this. You just need to be extra careful when you are pressing it into position - DON’T press onto the recessed area! Most of all, take your time.

The vinyl material itself is nice and thick, so if you’re careful you shouldn’t see anything you shouldn’t on the front or rear.

I hope this is helpful.
Thanks both. The vinyl plates were from:

Buy Legal Number Plates – Replacement Number Plates Online

delivered two days after ordering.

Before I removed the old plates I marked the position of the ends on the body with some PVC tape. This acts as a position guide for the new plates.

To remove the old plates and fit the new ones:

1. Unclip the old frames at the top on both ends. The frame hinges forward.
2. Remove the old plate.
3. Unscrew the plate holder frame.
4. Unbolt (front) or unscrew (rear) the plastic base.
5. Thoroughly clean the area below the old plates.
6. Wipe the area down with IPA to thoroughly degrease it.
7. Fill a spray bottle with water plus a DROP of washing up liquid.
8. Spray the body where you are going to fit the vinyl plate to wet it.
9. Remove the backing paper from the new plate.
10. Spray the adhesive side of the plate to wet it.
11. Fit the plate. The water lets you move it into the correct position.
12. Using a plastic card wrapped in a cloth, press the centre of the plate and gradually work your way outwards to remove excess water and air bubbles.

In terms of blemishes: where the front plates are removed you are left with two rough holes from the self-tapping screws they use to fit the frame. I GENTLY used a countersink bit by hand to remove the burring so the holes were perfectly flat.

When the rear plates are removed there are two plastic fixings (flush with the body) and a small recessed area. I simply fitted the vinyl plate carefully over this. You just need to be extra careful when you are pressing it into position - DON’T press onto the recessed area! Most of all, take your time.

The vinyl material itself is nice and thick, so if you’re careful you shouldn’t see anything you shouldn’t on the front or rear.

I hope this is helpful.

Thanks for the advice and the recommendation.

I've attached my front plate today and it's a big improvement.

Cheers

Attachments

• Tesla reg plate_2.jpg
    Tesla reg plate_2.jpg
    332.3 KB · Views: 565
Impact resistance would be more does it shatter or otherwise become unusable in an accident.. a stick on plate wouldn't do that (unless the accident was so bad that whether the numberplate survived wouldn't be the primary concern).

Not that anyone is ever going to test this stuff.. plod are only interested that ANPR works really.

Reactions: Roy W.
Could anyone please help. I would like to replace my standard number plates with the stick-on ones or similar (I will not change the registration number, only the plates material). I have a leased car. I understood that in order for me to order the replacement plates I need to present original documents:
1. Proof of Identity (no problem)
2. Proof of Entitlement (what do I need and how to get it?)
Since my car is a leased car what documents should I obtain? I guess I need to request them from my lease company, right? I read on gov.uk that I need "An original letter of authorisation from a fleet operator, lease or hire car company, that quotes the document reference number from the vehicle’s V5 registration certificate". No ideas what it is and whether my lease company will understand what I want from them. Did anyone obtain replacement plates for a leased car? How?
Thank you guys in advance for your advice!

Could anyone please help. I would like to replace my standard number plates with the stick-on ones or similar (I will not change the registration number, only the plates material). I have a leased car. I understood that in order for me to order the replacement plates I need to present original documents:
Since my car is a leased car what documents should I obtain? I guess I need to request them from my lease company, right? I read on gov.uk that I need "An original letter of authorisation from a fleet operator, lease or hire car company, that quotes the document reference number from the vehicle’s V5 registration certificate". No ideas what it is and whether my lease company will understand what I want from them. Did anyone obtain replacement plates for a leased car? How?
I'm not sure if it needs to be that complicated?

I just entered my reg number and paid via PayPal:

Stick On Number Plates

Also, I'd recommend avoiding a rear stick on plate, the surface just isn't even enough for good adhesion. Use the original rear plate or buy a standard replacement and stick directly to the boot.

Also, I'd recommend avoiding a rear stick on plate, the surface just isn't even enough for good adhesion. Use the original rear plate or buy a standard replacement and stick directly to the boot.

My stick-on rear plate is still well stuck after a year, so I suspect the adhesive is stronger from onestopnumberplates. I didn’t fill in the cavity under the rear plate, and it’s been fine. If I were doing it today I’d fill in the cavity with a block of blu-tak.

IMHO the rear stick-on looks nicer.

• Helpful
Reactions: DaminGJ
My stick-on rear plate is still well stuck after a year, so I suspect the adhesive is stronger from onestopnumberplates. I didn’t fill in the cavity under the rear plate, and it’s been fine. If I were doing it today I’d fill in the cavity with a block of blu-tak.

IMHO the rear stick-on looks nicer.

Ive only had mine around a few months but I agree with @Roy W. the plate from onestopnumberplates is stuck on solid and you can’t even tell there’s a gap under the rear plate when it’s on (I didn’t fill it either).

I seem to remember having to provide the reg plate entitlement (private reg so we had that) and some ID to show it belonged to us. Not sure how it’d work if you’re just replacing the standard plates and you don’t have the V5C, you probably would need something from the lease company.

Reactions: Roy W.

If you don’t want to outright ask your lease company for authority to replace the number plates, you could ask the lease company for a letter showing you are authorised to have a plate made for a trailer or lighting board for a bike rack.
A ‘friend of mine’ told me that worked fine for them getting front and back plates made recently

If you don’t want to outright ask your lease company for authority to replace the number plates, you could ask the lease company for a letter showing you are authorised to have a plate made for a trailer or lighting board for a bike rack.
A ‘friend of mine’ told me that worked fine for them getting front and back plates made recently

Thank you! This will be my Plan A.

I'm not sure if it needs to be that complicated?
I just entered my reg number and paid via PayPal:
Stick On Number Plates

Thank you! I think these are the Show Plate type number plates with a lot of discussion abt its legality earlier in this threat. I might take a risk if could not get the necessary docs from the lease company. This will be my Plan B!

Thank you! I think these are the Show Plate type number plates with a lot of discussion abt its legality earlier in this threat. I might take a risk if could not get the necessary docs from the lease company. This will be my Plan B!
I'm really hoping they are legal!

They do state this on their page:

"These plates are 520mm x 111mm ( standard sized number plates ) and Road legal DVLA BSAU certified, this means we use the very best class A reflective."

I'm really hoping they are legal!

They do state this on their page:

"These plates are 520mm x 111mm ( standard sized number plates ) and Road legal DVLA BSAU certified, this means we use the very best class A reflective."

How do the plates from proplates actually look like?
Do they show the original supplier’s name on the bottom right corner?
Thanks!