Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Still hate v11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My sentence has all of those.

I guess I should not expect you to understand that it doesn't. It is what's called,
How old are you? Just curious. I'm 56, and I still learn pretty quickly.

I've been a designer forever over 2 decades. If a design I'm working on has user testing that shows it's too difficult to understand a control system, I don't go back to the Program Mamager and tell them "people just need to learn quicker."

I take the new data about confusion and improve the design until it makes sense to everyone without thinking.

v11 is an amateurish disaster. full stop.

Interesting comment from a professional. Thank you. Perhaps Tesla would be interested in your services? Or probably not.

Reactions: Mikecm1
Boomers everywhere who can’t trust their cars to drive themselves.
One thing about boomers is that they typically write sentences with a subject, object and verb.
My sentence has all of those.
I guess I should not expect you to understand that it doesn't. It is what's called a sentence fragment. It identifies what would be assumed to be a subject, "Boomers", modified by "everywhere", further modified by the phrase "who can’t trust their cars to drive themselves". If you had left out the word "who", then "trust" would be the verb and it would be a complete sentence. With the word "who" present, it turns the remainder of the sentence into a phrase that simply modifies "Boomers" further with no functioning verb to make this a sentence.

I'm not at all surprised by the fact you don't understand what I'm talking about here. You seem to fail to grasp what anyone is saying about the V11 discussion as well. It's not just a matter of disagreement. It seems you don't understand the arguments.

Have you looked at these? Not a fan of buttons myself, but these seem to work for people that like them.
Wow, that's pretty cool. Even if Tesla hadn't fully borked V11 UI (which they did) It's still enticing to have secret buttons that you can program individually.
It's tempting, but as another user said it's an invasive component and I don't want to risk that until I have a lot more information.

Wow, that's pretty cool. Even if Tesla hadn't fully borked V11 UI (which they did) It's still enticing to have secret buttons that you can program individually.
It's tempting, but as another user said it's an invasive component and I don't want to risk that until I have a lot more information.
'Invasive' is a relative thing. Mechanically this is very easy to install and is fully reversible. You just have to plug in a dongle to access the CAN bus so it can issue commands over it. We don't know all the commands available since Tesla does not publish that, but people have done a tone of work to reverse-engineer them (there are lists available online if you want to have a look). Could some CAN commands physically damage the car? For sure, but you would have to be trying to do some rather specific things for that. This and similar products have been available for a number of years and used by quite a few people, and the worst thing I have heard happening is that some function stops working because Tesla altered some CAN bus command (but it is later fixed with an update). Everything involves some risk, but these honestly seem rather safe. A lot safer then trying to defog your windshield with V11, that is for sure :)

• Funny
Reactions: Transformer
I wouldn't be worried. It has great reviews, and there is outside communication as far as LTE goes... its purely relaying commands. Pretty great idea, although the price seriously reflects the "Tesla Tax." thats the only thing stopping me. and I'd really only want like 2 buttons. they could create a better pricing model.

A lot safer then trying to defog your windshield with V11, that is for sure :)
Your attempt at humor actually points out the difference in risk between "trying to defog your windshield" which is easy to do versus forcing commands down the throat of the CANbus. Find me one of those people who painstakingly decoded the CANbus command set who also recommends anything other than reading the car's internal variables.

People here complain about Tesla being a poor software company for "hiding" the tire pressure card, yet they are perfectly happy to completely trust a 3rd party product that hacks into the car's software. I don't get it.

Reactions: OxBrew
My experience with it was very brief just with my test drive (have a Model 3 LR on order now) but one of the glaring things I noticed was the low positioning of the blind spot camera feed when signaling.

If they put it at the top of the screen it would be much more useful since it’s closer to the same level as the actual mirrors instead of having to look down to the bottom of the screen.

The other thing I noticed with my first impressions was just the relatively small fonts and poor contrast of some of the elements. I can foresee people with less than perfect vision having difficulty seeing things easily.

Yeah, see @jabloomf1230 posts are what I'm talking about.
On the surface it simply looks like a dongle that works as an intercept. Surprisingly simple. But it's not a stretch to think it could affect some things you don't want it to. In theory if it does, you should be able to just remove the dongle. But who knows?
Anyway, I'm horribly off topic about the UI disaster of V11. So I'll take it to this thread..

Well worth watching. By neglecting the UI Tesla is missing on an amazing opportunity.

Doug is a bit frenetic and I feel worn out after one of his videos. But he is thorough. After seeing the incredible intuitive things Mercedes has done with their MBUX, one immediately appreciates the different results achieved when the development team has adult supervision.

Turned it off after 15 seconds, this guy is too intense.

Ditto. Would someone summarize?

I don't hate V11. It has some useful improvements. But there's no excuse for a release to have so many bugs and usability regressions.

Tesla's needs software testing and test automation, code reviews, usability testing, and thoughtful UI design.

Tesla's needs software testing and test automation, code reviews, usability testing, and thoughtful UI design.
Every software company needs this and there are many that don't do it properly because they don't have the budget and/or resources. I don't know that Tesla's excuse is.

And this isn't a commentary on the vehicle itself... but it's weird that this would be such a misstep. Has this happened in previous versions (I've only had my MY for a year)?

Reactions: Sporty
Every software company needs this and there are many that don't do it properly because they don't have the budget and/or resources. I don't know that Tesla's excuse is.

And this isn't a commentary on the vehicle itself... but it's weird that this would be such a misstep. Has this happened in previous versions (I've only had my MY for a year)?
There were a moderate number of negative reactions to V9->V10 on the Model 3/Y a little over a year ago (I did not like it either), but it was absolutely nothing like the reaction to V11. V10 was mostly just an aesthetics downgrade over V9, but very few/no functionality losses. V11 is a dumpster fire and just feels insulting.

I know some of the older upgrades on the S/X also had some decently negative reactions but those were before my time (and on cars I have never owned) so I can't really speak to them, but I get the impression that something quite as frustrating and bad as V11 has never really happened before.

More summary: Mercedes just freaking nailed everything. They both transcended flat UI fad/design, and executed it with enough nuance and skill that pretty much everyone will just understand it the first time through.

They also achieved a strategy that v11 seems to be trying to implement, but the execution is failing so hard I've been loath to praise it: single focus design. When you click a menu item, it brings up a single "window" that keeps you focused on one thing. That's a valid criticism of v10, that many things active at once can be distracting. MB does it in such a way that you still have easy situational awareness of the balance of the UI, not like v11, where it blocks out most everything else, and is super clunky looking.

Watch the video all the way through. Even with the sound off, you'll see what's going on.

They also embrace easter eggs, but in a refined, high(er) end, optional way, and set a lot of bars way higher than Tesla is even apparently considering.

-heads up navigation (augmented reality turn indicators, hovering right on the lane or street in real time)
-heads up TACC target acquisition (shows an augmented reality line under the car you're following that the TACC is tracking)
-persistent climate controls, never leave the screen
-auto-scanning seat position, based on height and weight scanned by the car (adjustable, obviously)

There's more, and a few legit critiques: range (350mi, not bad?!?) reflection on the screen, seat controls, but that's about it.

More summary: Mercedes just freaking nailed everything. They both transcended flat UI fad/design, and executed it with enough nuance and skill that pretty much everyone will just understand it the first time through.

They also achieved a strategy that v11 seems to be trying to implement, but the execution is failing so hard I've been loath to praise it: single focus design. When you click a menu item, it brings up a single "window" that keeps you focused on one thing. That's a valid criticism of v10, that many things active at once can be distracting. MB does it in such a way that you still have easy situational awareness of the balance of the UI, not like v11, where it blocks out most everything else, and is super clunky looking.

Watch the video all the way through. Even with the sound off, you'll see what's going on.

They also embrace easter eggs, but in a refined, high(er) end, optional way, and set a lot of bars way higher than Tesla is even apparently considering.

-heads up navigation (augmented reality turn indicators, hovering right on the lane or street in real time)
-heads up TACC target acquisition (shows an augmented reality line under the car you're following that the TACC is tracking)
-persistent climate controls, never leave the screen
-auto-scanning seat position, based on height and weight scanned by the car (adjustable, obviously)

There's more, and a few legit critiques: range (350mi, not bad?!?) reflection on the screen, seat controls, but that's about it.
Then go buy one.

Then go buy one.
OK, I will!

(after MB or Toyota/Subaru has a crossover in the US market for 2 years, will likely be my next EV)

But really, this is the we hate v11 thread. Are you going to just keep dropping lame snide comments in here, or actually engage with the thoughtful, mostly respectful critiques and discussion?

I'm taking you off ignore for a bit, like to give everyone a chance.