Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stock vs after market wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@StaceyR,

Thanks! Impressive they ordered their own glass...I guess they figured it was an investment with all the likely installs they’ll be doing. Llumar is one I’ve been looking at. Either the CTX or Stratos line. Also looking at Crystalline. Is there a huge difference between the back at 15% and the regular factory tinted roof panel (as far as darkness)?

Ski

@StaceyR,

Thanks! Impressive they ordered their own glass...I guess they figured it was an investment with all the likely installs they’ll be doing. Llumar is one I’ve been looking at. Either the CTX or Stratos line. Also looking at Crystalline. Is there a huge difference between the back at 15% and the regular factory tinted roof panel (as far as darkness)?

Ski
The tint installer is located only a couple of miles from one of the busiest Tesla delivery centers (Costa Mesa, SoCal). They claim to do several Model 3s per day on average. The back tint is a bit lighter than the roof panel even at 15%. Looks great from behind the car and doesn't look too dark from the inside. I went with the CTX for the value and having used it before. They said it was their most popular line.

The tint installer is located only a couple of miles from one of the busiest Tesla delivery centers (Costa Mesa, SoCal). They claim to do several Model 3s per day on average. The back tint is a bit lighter than the roof panel even at 15%. Looks great from behind the car and doesn't look too dark from the inside. I went with the CTX for the value and having used it before. They said it was their most popular line.

@StaceyR,

Thanks again! That roof panel must be fairly dark if the back tint is STILL lighter than the roof panel with the back at 15%!

Ski

@StaceyR,

Thanks again! That roof panel must be fairly dark if the back tint is STILL lighter than the roof panel with the back at 15%!

Ski
I should clarify that the double tinted upper portion of the back window is darker than the roof panel from the inside but seems the same from the outside. The lower portion (not factory tinted) appears lighter from the inside but again from the outside the entire roof/back window shade looks uniform to me. The heat extra protection is worth going darker than the sides.

45B7C6F6-F1A0-4404-BB93-355996C3CCB9.jpeg

It’ll be my early goals on my P without PUP to get wheels and tires to maximize the grip - I wonder if 19’s would be able to achieve 3.3’? Or are 20’s gonna be the minimum?

View attachment 320493
It’ll be my early goals on my P without PUP to get wheels and tires to maximize the grip - I wonder if 19’s would be able to achieve 3.3’? Or are 20’s gonna be the minimum?

I'm by no means an expert on the subject, but limiting factors have more to do with the material (grip per surface area) combined with the amount of material in contact with the road. In other words, sticky AND wide tires, you've got your best shot at highest grip possible. These same factors will also have considerable (perhaps equivalent?) impact to breaking performance.

View attachment 320493

As many commented, wider and staggered wheels/tires combo is what you are looking for. 19's and 20's would be fine, but I would much rather go with 20's staggered, if possible even with spacers (15 to 20mm) Here are some of the options I'm considering

1. Started with Tsportline 20" wheels, love the turbine design and look, unfortunately I will not go with them because they only make 10" wide in the staggered config. 20x8.5" and 20x10". The max rear tire width I can put on them is 275, that is not wide enough for me :) [coming from a BMW X5 background]

2. I'm now thinking of Forgestar CF10 wheels, they make all kinda sizes. 20x9" and 20x10.5" is what I'm thinking with 295 width rear tire.
Check this thread. https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/2882549/

There will be many other after market wheels (like Vossen etc.) that have even wider configuration. Combo this with the best stickier Sport tires and you will be able to get the best performance. Ofcourse the range will get affected and I'm not too worried about it.

• Informative
Reactions: Sg911
Thanks, they're Vorsteiner VFF-103. I made the center caps myself so they look more OEM.

Typed up a little spec sheet here:
View attachment 320625

Thanks! Hoping for that 3.3sec 0-60 :cool:

I like that combo A LOT! weights are a little off at tire rack, here is the official specs from Michelin
https://www.michelinman.com/upload/michelin_us/specifications/specs-pilot-sport-4s.pdf
even at around 49.6 lbs. front and back you are so close to the stock 18's with the same load rating in the front and a better load rating of 100 in the rear from 98 for the stock 18" tire. I can't imagine the 20" is very good at only a 92 load rating, that one must feel like the tire is peeling off the wheel under hard cornering with such a low load capacity and a 4,200 lb. plus car, looking forward to you getting these on the car so we can hear how they perform.

I like that combo A LOT! weights are a little off at tire rack, here is the official specs from Michelin
https://www.michelinman.com/upload/michelin_us/specifications/specs-pilot-sport-4s.pdf
even at around 49.6 lbs. front and back you are so close to the stock 18's with the same load rating in the front and a better load rating of 100 in the rear from 98 for the stock 18" tire. I can't imagine the 20" is very good at only a 92 load rating, that one must feel like the tire is peeling off the wheel under hard cornering with such a low load capacity and a 4,200 lb. plus car, looking forward to you getting these on the car so we can hear how they perform.
Thanks, they should contrast nicely with my white Model 3. They've been sitting in my garage for 6 months so I'm excited to finally get my car to put them on.

The weights I listed above are what I measured real-world, and includes wheels weights and TPMS. It appears the 245/40/19's are actually closer to 25lbs even though Michelin quotes 26.5? Seems like a pretty big discrepancy, but the 275/35/19's match up at 27.6lbs. I'll probably take a small range hit with those wide rears but that's an okay trade off for me. An added bonus at those sizes is the rubber sidewall sticks out just enough to protect from curbing the wheels (not that I would anyway ;)).