Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stolen Model S crashes after police pursuit. 7/4/14

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I can make the obvious observation... so far the stock hasn't done anything. It's down 0.18 - less than the usual variability.

I tuned in to KTLA for a while this morning, they didn't even show the segment that is on their web site. This is just another high speed chase and crash in the big city. I'm not sure it's going to get that much coverage. Old news.

Yes,yes,yes. The remote disabling would not have to be instant or sudden. It could easily be implemented with a 30-second (or whatever time you deem fit) warning before it slowly starts to decrease the allowable top speed and acceleration.

While something like this could be abused or social engineered in a way for someone with no authorization to do so to shut your car down I would think it would be rare. As an opt in program hopefully there would be some way to implement this to minimize abuse and not have to chase criminals at high speeds which usually doesn't end up well.

Just have to wonder if the police are actually trained to continually make these bad decisions such as engaging in a high speed chase, especially with ANY high performance vehicle. Realistically, what outcome would one expect?

They have rules and assess and back off (as they allegedly did here) if tjings get too dangerous. Of course the hard part if how to define "too" [dangerous].

Seems to me primary goal should be to avoid doing more harm than good (more destruction of other property and injury to others). Of course, I'm sure they are also in a basic no-win scenario with these situations. Either get property owner claiming you didn't do enough, or otherwise...this.

Well 21" wheels are worth couple grands or so. Sure who cares, but there was that one criminal in California who stole a pack of fast food meant to be heated up in microwave and ended up in a prison.

Sorry, but you Curt seems to give too much credit to mental/intellectual abilities of criminals. Besides being drunk/stoned diminish even those tiny intellectual abilities - there was a guy who being drunk decided to undress fully and go to police department conveniently located next street to arrest policemens in there! Well, he claimed being drunk, but i think one must have to have much stronger reasons(such as a very potent drug!) to pull out something like that. But what do I know?
Criminal sociopaths can be extremely intelligent and still have very poor judgement. Intelligence and judgment are not necessarily directly proportional.

Fascinating Curt! Thanks

My mind even this many years later is still brewing about my freakish accident...

*The more you know*

For some time now, light and signal poles have been designed to actually 'break away' when impacted. You'd be surprise at how poorly they hold up in shear/bending fracture situations, which is the point. Poles are inexpensive to fix or replace, people are somewhat less so. Same goes for roadside information signs.

Don't hit any of the big highway sign bridges though, they most definitely do not move when impacted, but the concrete base is shaped to deflect impacts.

This sweet study from 1966 shows some of the differences between conventional and breakway poles and indicates the technology's been around for some time, which is why the lightpoles in the ground in the Tesla incident likely had very little to do with the car's split.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/mdot/R-610_431183_7.pdf