Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stopping at Green Lights [on FSD]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have seen videos of Teslas that while on cruise control and Autosteer will automatically proceed through green lights without driver input. I have a Model 3 FSD. My car will always try to stop at any traffic light. Red Yellow or Green, unless I depress the right side stalk or touch the accelerator. However, if there is a car in front of me that goes through a green light, the Tesla requires no input tp proceed.

Is this a setting? Is there something that can be done to make it continue through green lights?
Thanks,
A

I have seen videos of Teslas that while on cruise control and Autosteer will automatically proceed through green lights without driver input.

However, if there is a car in front of me that goes through a green light, the Tesla requires no input tp proceed.

No, there are no other settings. Your car is working as designed. Without a lead car, when it warns that it is going to slow/stop for traffic control, you must use the accelerator or press down the drive stalk to proceed.

This has the potential to change at any time though, so be sure to keep checking those release notes and the manual.

Screen Shot 2021-06-10 at 9.07.10 AM.png

Last edited:
I have seen videos of Teslas that while on cruise control and Autosteer will automatically proceed through green lights without driver input.
These cars either don't have FSD at all (which means they will go through a red light too ;) ) or they are in the FSD Beta that only about 0.0001% of people get to join.

Thanks. The video I saw was from Jay Leno's Garage in which he drove a Model Y Performance on city streets. It was from about a year ago. He remarked that it saw the green light and proceeded through. He didn't say anything about making any input.

No, there are no other settings. Your car is working as designed. Without a lead car, when it warns that it is going to slow/stop for traffic control, you must use the accelerator or press down the drive stalk to proceed.

This has the potential to change at any time though, so be sure to keep checking those release notes and the manual.

View attachment 671659
Thanks for this explanation and notes. When I did a test drive in a performance model the other week I wondered why it would slow or bing when nobody was in front of me and cars next and I had to keep hitting the down stalk. Thought it was a disengage but this is normal and confirmation to keep going through the green light with nobody in front. Guess it wasn’t a flaw but designed.

View attachment 671659
Mine yesterday came up to a green light and had a red line across the bottom. It interpreted the green light wrong and even with a follow car it tried to stop. Definitely was weird. I wanted to snatch a picture but couldn't get my phone out in time.

Mine yesterday came up to a green light and had a red line across the bottom. It interpreted the green light wrong and even with a follow car it tried to stop. Definitely was weird. I wanted to snatch a picture but couldn't get my phone out in time.

You sure it got the light wrong? I think the line color defines its planned behavior (i.e. whether the car is going to stop or is stopped), and the color of the light icon on the screen tells what color it thinks the light is. So if it was ignoring the lead car for some reason, that's not unexpected.

You sure it got the light wrong? I think the line color defines its planned behavior (i.e. whether the car is going to stop or is stopped), and the color of the light icon on the screen tells what color it thinks the light is. So if it was ignoring the lead car for some reason, that's not unexpected.
maybe, I guess that makes sense, but every other light along the path was green with a green bar under it, except that one which was green with a red line under it. Following the same car down the street. Either way, it wasn't doing what it was supposed to be doing.

maybe, I guess that makes sense, but every other light along the path was green with a green bar under it, except that one which was green with a red line under it. Following the same car down the street. Either way, it wasn't doing what it was supposed to be doing.
Yeah, I checked yesterday to confirm, and without a car in front of me, mine shows a red bar with green lights until I confirm with the accelerator. I'm not sure why it would ignore the car in front of you unless maybe you got too far away.

Reactions: Cheburashka
Model 3 owners manual page 120:

Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control (Beta) (if equipped): You can enable the ability for Model 3 to automatically stop at traffic lights and stop signs (see Traffic)

In my Model S with this turned off the car no longer slows at green lights.

Last edited:
Not sure if this will prove of any value, but just in case it does...

Since taking delivery of the car, have been attempting to gain insights into autopilot driving. After reading through the descriptions here, I am inclined to think that the car's response is simply not consistent. Being a tech geek, I want to believe that it is black and white, but after my own experiences, I do not believe that it is so.

Have had both situations of following a car through an intersection with a green light, and light turning red. Have experienced both situations without following another car as well.

My synopsis is that sometimes the recognition of the green light is indeed interpreted as it should be, and sometimes that it is not. My focus now is to expect that it may not react correctly and just to be prepared.

Most green lights work perfectly whether there are cars in front of me or not, but occasionally, the car decides that it must stop and that's how it is. But, more often than not, it works just as it should.

The oddest occurrence that I have experienced is where I was proceeding through a green light, no car in front of me, and suddenly the car swerved as if to avoid a sudden obstacle. There was no obstacle, and all I could figure was that maybe a bird flew in front of the car?! Since I saw absolutely nothing that would make it swerve, I found it very odd. However, it did continue through the green light without prompt or interruption.

To clear up any confusion - the red (or green) line on the road in the display is an indication of what the car intends to do. It is NOT an indication of whether it detects a green or red light. You can see what color it believes the light is by looking at the traffic light rendered on the display.

As has been stated in this thread, the car will *usually* decide to proceed through a green light without confirmation if there is a lead car. And it will *usually* decide to stop at a green light without confirmation if there is no lead car. However, what it considers a 'lead car' can be difficult to predict, so I always look at the line to see what it intends to do.

I know this is an old post, but I wanted to share that my 2022 Model Y with FSD activated has the same "issue" of wanting to stop at green lights, crosswalks and today at a yellow flashing light in front of a fire station. I had this issue from day one. After installing 2022.20.17 last week, it was my hope that this behavior would have changed and FSD would have gotten a little smarter. As we say the the IT world its working as coded. But the design/coding is not consistent with what one would expect from an FSD capability. Does anyone have insight as what we should expect on this issue by the end of the year? Just my humble opinion.

All is well now, a couple weeks ago I found and activated Full Self Driving (Beta) option on the autopilot screen and FSD is significantly improved. I really like FSD beta's ability to execute turns near my house where we have two lanes that can turn left when the light turns green. FSD as been able to nicely take the left turn from either lane. Obviously with me be ready to take control at a moment notice.

What happens if the light is green you press accelerator or click the stalk and THEN the light turns red before you get there??? Will the car stop or do you have to take some action if you are about to run the red because the light changed before you got to the intersection?