Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stopping mode - Hold

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Latest software update 13th November 2019 has vastly improved low speed driving.

Tesla has removed the annoying dead zone between accelerate and braking

my previous car was VW e-up and the slow speed driving was superior to Tesla
because the transition between accelerate and braking was very tight,
no lag or dead zone, just a crisp transition

the new software does this now for Tesla, and also added complete stop without need for brake pedal

thank you Tesla for making the car better all the time.

Reactions: Rooster6655
I like it, but also miss the creep function which made parking maneuvering easier. Not sure which option I'll leave active yet.

People talk about how creep helps them with parking because they can just use the brake pedal, but it seems to me like the new mode is even better for parking - the car moves when you move it, stops otherwise, and stays put until you tell it to move, even on significant slopes, and you only need one pedal - the accelerator.

Latest software update 13th November 2019 has vastly improved low speed driving.

Tesla has removed the annoying dead zone between accelerate and braking

my previous car was VW e-up and the slow speed driving was superior to Tesla
because the transition between accelerate and braking was very tight,
no lag or dead zone, just a crisp transition

I tried it this morning for the first time. It feels a bit odd when doing tight manoeuvring but I suspect it's just not being used to the effect. It felt a bit like going back to experiencing the regen effect for the first time. We'll definitely leave the feature on for a while before making a decision to keep or not.

I like it, but also miss the creep function which made parking maneuvering easier. Not sure which option I'll leave active yet.
Yes, I like the creep function too.

I got the update last night, so I’ve tried the new hold function today. It does take a bit of getting used to. At very low speed it feels like you’re driving with your foot on the brake.

I’ll try it for a few days and see which I prefer.

One of the things I miss about the Kona is the Auto Regen function. That used the car’s radar to adjust the regen depending on traffic conditions. So in slow moving traffic it applied full regen, allowing one pedal driving.

It’s smooth true one foot driving when moving forward but seems jerky when backing out of my driveway. My “old” S doesn’t have it and I may switch the 3 back at some point.

(I don’t like having the two Teslas feel significantly different from each other. I still tend to foul up autopilot at times since control stalks for 3 and S are on opposite side of steering wheel. Who thought that was a good idea?)

Reactions: Roy W.
Might just be me but after this update is anyone else experiencing heavier steering at low speed. I'm in sport mode.

I recall the steering being a little lighter prior to this update.
It isn't just you - I noticed exactly the same thing! I think it may be because of the way the car is working the motors for regen (but i'm no expert here so don't take my word for it) :)

Having never driven an automatic before I took an immediate dislike to it and turned it off ASAP. How does it help with parking?

Maybe you need a "Creep at this location" feature (but call it something less, well, creepy) like they have with folding the mirrors?

I tried creep to start with and its fine and seems useful when it edges forward slowly but its actually quite easy just to manual use the accelerator for low speeds so it just became annoying having to use the brake all the time with creep mode.

Same here, getting used to it. But it does seem quite a bit more efficient

This is creep:
Creep.JPG

This is with hold
Hold.JPG

Notice more miles driven (slightly longer route) and less rated miles used.

• Informative
Reactions: im85288
Hmmm...I wonder whether anyone can explain why it’s only in reverse. Primitive PWS lol

Brake pads and brake disks are flat, but brake pads tend to be installed ‘toe in’, i.e. angled in at the front, in order to stop them squeaking in use. This is fine for a car going forward, which is most of the time, but there can be a problem in reverse.

I have zero knowledge of cars, so I'm sure someone else can elaborate on angles, bedding in, etc.

Same here, getting used to it. But it does seem quite a bit more efficient

This is creep:
View attachment 476766

This is with hold
View attachment 476767

Notice more miles driven (slightly longer route) and less rated miles used.

That’s interesting observation and hope it holds true for larger sample set as on main forum the talk is that for final stop it’s all done by energising the motor and not on brakes.