Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strength of Regenerative braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have recently test drove the Model Y (placed my order last year) and got concerned about the agressive regernative braking as soon as I lift my foot off the accelerator. After doing some research, it seems like the related settings have been removed.

Can someone please confirm if this is true or can this "aggressiveness" still be set lower?

Thanks for your insights.

Can it be changed, no. But you will quickly get used to it and find you hardly need to touch the brake pedal at all.
This. just like you will lift your foot off the accelerator and gently brake in an ICE car you learn to feather the accelerator to slow down in a Tesla. I actually find myself more annoyed when I don't have regenerative braking in the winter because the battery's cold.

Reactions: DrGriz
Upvote 0
I have recently test drove the Model Y (placed my order last year) and got concerned about the agressive regernative braking as soon as I lift my foot off the accelerator. After doing some research, it seems like the related settings have been removed.

Can someone please confirm if this is true or can this "aggressiveness" still be set lower?

I tested it today and there are 3 settings. The most aggressive being hold then 2 less aggressive. I liked the most aggressive hood tho as I don’t like it to roll like a regular vehicle. Didn’t really take long for me to like it better.

• Disagree
Reactions: Fourdoor
Upvote 0
Tesla removed the option for selecting Low regenerative braking in the Model Y for vehicles produced after Sept. 2020 with no explanation. Earlier production Model Y vehicles retain the option for using the Low setting.

The Hold, Creep and Roll settings are not the same as Low Regenerative braking as these are only active at very low speeds.

Coming from a 2016 Chevrolet Volt that had what I considered fairly strong regenerative braking I had to learn not to fully let up on the Tesla Model Y's accelerator pedal to limit the amount of regenerative braking. Once I learned to do that I stopped using the Low setting and now prefer the Standard setting for regenerative braking. If I drove on snow and ice covered roads (something I don't do) I would probably use the Low setting. I do use the Chill setting for acceleration when driving in the rain or when the roads are wet. The Chill setting has no effect on regenerative braking, only power and acceleration.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Upvote 0
Tesla removed the option for selecting Low regenerative braking in the Model Y for vehicles produced after Sept. 2020 with no explanation. Earlier production Model Y vehicles retain the option for using the Low setting.

The Hold, Creep and Roll settings are not the same as Low Regenerative braking as these are only active at very low speeds.

Coming from a 2016 Chevrolet Volt that had what I considered fairly strong regenerative braking I had to learn not to fully let up on the Tesla Model Y's accelerator pedal to limit the amount of regenerative braking. Once I learned to do that I stopped using the Low setting and now prefer the Standard setting for regenerative braking. If I drove on snow and ice covered roads (something I don't do) I would probably use the Low setting. I do use the Chill setting for acceleration when driving in the rain or when the roads are wet. The Chill setting has no effect on regenerative braking, only power and acceleration.
Based on my experience in snow and ice (2 MN winters) it's not that much of an issue. When the battery is cold, regenerative braking is reduced or eliminated, anyway, so it's usually not an issue. For those times when it is, you feather the accelerator more than you normally would but it's really no different than braking softer than you normally would, just a different pedal.

The traction control system works quite well and I've never had a problem getting going but chill mode is a good idea. unless you drive aggressively, you still have more than enough power on chill mode, anyway.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
Upvote 0

You’ll love it, trust us.

Reactions: tm1v2 and sleepydoc
Upvote 0

Practice gradually reducing accelerator pedal pressure when slowing down rather than completely lifting off. Once you get used to it, you’ll love it.

Upvote 0
One pedal driving is like engine braking in an ICE car. With better smoothness than a slushbox combined with better responsiveness than a manual. You'll adjust to it and come to really like it, especially in traffic or other situations with lots of speed changes.

Upvote 0
IMNSHO: The regenerative braking when driving is just fine.
HOWEVER, I would like to see the system shift to creep when selecting reverse, with no regen. It is really hard - and worrisome - to hold the accelerator down at a very light setting in reverse. 1) we are more accustomed to letting the vehicle creep, but riding the brake and 2) slight acceleration in reverse tends to push the body and foot forward, pushing the accelerator more firmly. This is a hazard that does not need to be.
Anyone else feel the same way??

Upvote 0
HOWEVER, I would like to see the system shift to creep when selecting reverse, with no regen. It is really hard - and worrisome - to hold the accelerator down at a very light setting in reverse. 1) we are more accustomed to letting the vehicle creep, but riding the brake and 2) slight acceleration in reverse tends to push the body and foot forward, pushing the accelerator more firmly. This is a hazard that does not need to be.
Anyone else feel the same way?
The car should not behave differently when going backwards. This just adds mental gymnastics to the equation when going backwards at a time when we need to be focusing on what we are doing. Regen braking is easy to get used too.

Upvote 0
You will be fine in a week or two. I am 3 months in and the only super minor issue I have is that as the weather changes the regen changes somewhat dramatically so sometimes I let off the throttle too quickly expecting a lower level of regen and it comes on stronger than I would like. I would expect this is only an issue in weather we are having here in PA where it is 68 yesterday and 30 today. Small adaptation to make for all the Tesla advantages over ICE.

Upvote 0
Anyone else feel the same way??

I don’t want the vehicle changing behavior like that. I use roll mode, which allows you to use momentum and gravity, which I find to be both very predictable and smooth. I dislike both creep and hold modes.

Upvote 0
I don’t want the vehicle changing behavior like that. I use roll mode, which allows you to use momentum and gravity, which I find to be both very predictable and smooth. I dislike both creep and hold modes.
I would like to see decreased accelerator sensitivity in reverse. I prefer hold mode in general, but I find it difficult to back down our sloped driveway because the accelerator is too sensitive

Upvote 0
I'd like to see a more gradual accelerator mapping in both directions, to be frank. "Sport" mode is way overly jumpy on my 2021 M3P, I use only a tiny fraction of the pedal travel in normal daily driving. There is plenty of pedal travel to make it more gradual while still giving good control at higher power/torque demands. I recall MYLR and M3LR Sport (i.e. standard) mapping being similar on my test drives.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'd like to see a more gradual accelerator mapping in both directions, to be frank. "Sport" mode is way overly jumpy on my 2021 M3P, I use only a tiny fraction of the pedal travel in normal daily driving. There is plenty of pedal travel to make it more gradual while still giving good control at higher power/torque demands.

Can’t you set the acceleration mode to Chill or Standard (under Pedals and Steering I believe)?

Upvote 0
Can’t you set the acceleration mode to Chill or Standard (under Pedals and Steering I believe)?
@ATPMSD It has no Standard accelerator map unfortunately, only Sport and Chill. I basically never want Chill because it limits maximum power. If I mash the pedal down I want big power. I just don't want big power from tiny pedal movement, that's a old stupid gimmicky trick to make a car feel quicker than it actually is. These cars have no need for that!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The car should not behave differently when going backwards. This just adds mental gymnastics to the equation when going backwards at a time when we need to be focusing on what we are doing. Regen braking is easy to get used too.
Keep in mind that the classic reason manual shift vehicles have lots of backing accidents is because of this effect. It is the same reason we do not drive on curvy roads with our hands on the bottom of the steering wheel.

Upvote 0
Keep in mind that the classic reason manual shift vehicles have lots of backing accidents is because of this effect. It is the same reason we do not drive on curvy roads with our hands on the bottom of the steering wheel.
Huh? I only had manual transmission cars before my Teslas and I don't recall backing them into anything.

Yes you need to feather the clutch carefully at times...that's just part of driving/parking the car.

Upvote 0
Huh? I only had manual transmission cars before my Teslas and I don't recall backing them into anything.

Yes you need to feather the clutch carefully at times...that's just part of driving/parking the car.
Also if you installed an on/off switch crazy hard biting clutch "because racecar" ... that's really your own fault. ;) Don't put racecar parts into a street car and then complain it's difficult to do street car things like parallel parking on a hill!

Upvote 0