Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stuck at 47A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dailo

Jul 22, 2017
Bay Area
Recently when charging at home I see that it only goes up to 47A. Not a huge deal, but curious why this recently changed. If I stop charging I can set the max to 48A but once charging starts it stops at 47A. Always show 47/48A in the app, but used to get 48/48 before. Has anyone else seen this?

This is just a guess, but I think I recall reading the charger is limited in Watts and in amps. So when the voltage is on the high side, the current drops.

240v @ 48a is the same power as 244v @ 47.2a

But - simply a guess.

Might try a ChargePoint that has lower voltage (many are 208) and see how many amps it will pull.

Sure would be nice to have more visibility into what our cars are doing when charging; or maybe some explanation about the algorithm being used by the system. I went to St. Louis this last weekend, and on a couple of the charging stops (at superchargers), charging rate would not exceed 57 kw (when I was the only person there); at others, it cranked up to 105 kw. (temperature related??) Could temperature also be a factor in the amount of power vehicles can take at home chargers? (seems far-fetched, but you never know)...

Could temperature also be a factor in the amount of power vehicles can take at home chargers? (seems far-fetched, but you never know)...
No, probably not. They are all very low as far as the battery is concerned. The connectors and cables, maybe... 40A and 80A are the maximum rating for the mobile connector and wall connector, so they can get pretty hot at those levels. However, I haven't heard of them throttling down the speed. They just...fail if they are too hot for too long and build up some kind of heat damage.