Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stuck in Car Off mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had the same thing happen a couple weeks ago. Had to have our 2020 X towed in and by the time it arrived at the service center all was working. They claimed it was caused by the sentry drive I was using. Try removing the drive and rebooting. I also have found the change tire size reboot to be more effective.

If all else fails you can open the frunk and disconnect the red terminal wire behind the panel of the upper frunk trim.

Reactions: ericj5 and fr100
Following this event when I attempted to install 2021.4.18 the update failed. SC said they were unable to remotely format the onboard SD card, which I assume is the navigation database storage and we would need to come in for an appt to have the SD card replaced. Our SC is about an 3 hr drive one way so I kept pressing to see if there was anything else they could do from their end. Finally today they said they tried to remotely format again and were unsuccessful but still send a new update to the X and to try again. I rebooted by changing tire sizes and made sure the sentry drive was turned off and the drive removed. Amazingly the install was a success.

Hope you can get your vehicle working and please let me know what they find with yours.

This happened to me
Following this event when I attempted to install 2021.4.18 the update failed. SC said they were unable to remotely format the onboard SD card, which I assume is the navigation database storage and we would need to come in for an appt to have the SD card replaced. Our SC is about an 3 hr drive one way so I kept pressing to see if there was anything else they could do from their end. Finally today they said they tried to remotely format again and were unsuccessful but still send a new update to the X and to try again. I rebooted by changing tire sizes and made sure the sentry drive was turned off and the drive removed. Amazingly the install was a success.

Hope you can get your vehicle working and please let me know what they find with yours.
this happened to me last night car is in the shop now after the tow.

This section of the Model X forum is full of useful information: Reset techniques.

This happened to me

this happened to me last night car is in the shop now after the tow.
This happened to me and thank goodness you told me about changing the wheel size I finally got my car to come home but it’s still behaving on and there’s an update but it’s doing now. What was the outcome when you took it to the shop I have to go out of town tomorrow and depending on my car to take me but now I’m extremely concerned

This happened to me and thank goodness you told me about changing the wheel size I finally got my car to come home but it’s still behaving on and there’s an update but it’s doing now. What was the outcome when you took it to the shop I have to go out of town tomorrow and depending on my car to take me but now I’m extremely concerned
I was using talk to text I apologize the car is still driving odd and when I got home at doing a software update

Had the same thing happen a couple weeks ago. Had to have our 2020 X towed in and by the time it arrived at the service center all was working. They claimed it was caused by the sentry drive I was using. Try removing the drive and rebooting. I also have found the change tire size reboot to be more effective.

If all else fails you can open the frunk and disconnect the red terminal wire behind the panel of the upper frunk trim.
Thank you thank you thank you for the wheel size trick!!! You literally just saved my 4th of July weekend. Had the car off problem also on my X and nothing else worked

I had same issue with my 2020 X today. Stuck in “Car Off” despite all electrical running.. few soft and hard reset did nothing. Tesla could not remotely troubleshoot and ended up having to tow the car… then noticed “ transportation mode” would not work either! Basically car could not go to Neutral to load to truck! What a painful day! Hopefully by tomorrow I learn about the solution. I wish I had seen this thread sooner and had tried the wheel size trick ….

I also had this problem on my 2020 X LR+…

Tesla could do nothing remotely, called a tow truck. After a 3 hours wait (😱), still waiting for the tow, tried it again and it worked. I drove straight to Tesla, they told me they did a « deep reset ».. (meaning, they did nothing) and told me it should be fixed in a software update… Seriously??

Happened again a few days later, but thanks to this tread i did the wheel reset and it worked…

Are you all on 4.18.3?? I hate my car since i got this update.. Random parking alerts, plus this car off thing…

Really hope Tesla is working on this

Also just had this problem with my 2018 X. I summoned the car out of the garage, got in, pushed the brake, and nothing happened. Electrical working fine, but it just kept saying “Car Off”. Tried resetting with scroll wheels and through the touchscreen several times, but nothing helped. Ultimately had to have it towed to the service center to have it fixed. Also couldn’t get it into neutral, so they had to put the wheels on skids and just slide it up onto the tow truck. Was a pretty damn annoying experience since I was out of town and working night shifts at the time.

This is what the service center wrote:

Concern: Customer states: vehicle will not enter drive
Verified customer concern. Found vehicle unresponsive. Performed gateway rest to vehicle and vehicle came back online.

This is a great thread and should be a sticky. I'm usually all over the MY threads but with the Wife driving the MX, I thought I'd come see what's happening. So glad I did. Yes, I have heard in other threads that the wheel size trick does a full reboot and has resolved other issues. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: X-pilot
Just wanted to add, same problem, previously dissembled frunk to disconnect 12v for full reset. This time found this thread and wheel reset solved it, thank you.

Issue happened first a month ago, did a 2 wheel reset today to fix the radio and then stuck in car off.

I had same issue with my 2020 X today. Stuck in “Car Off” despite all electrical running.. few soft and hard reset did nothing. Tesla could not remotely troubleshoot and ended up having to tow the car… then noticed “ transportation mode” would not work either! Basically car could not go to Neutral to load to truck! What a painful day! Hopefully by tomorrow I learn about the solution. I wish I had seen this thread sooner and had tried the wheel size trick ….
Changing the tire type worked for me