Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stuck on 2022.28.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I park my Y in my garage and connect my wifi to my home system. My car is the LR AWD version which I purchased in August 2021. The home wifi system is fast, but of course, the signal (in the car) in the garage has been consistently mid-range there. Nonetheless, I've received updates fairly timely. They've been successful. My current version is 2022.28.2. I downloaded that two or three weeks ago. But the 2022.36 versions, and now 2022.40 haves been released and hte .36 release is going out steadily now. I expect eventually to receive an update (nothing has changed in my config) but I wonder if there's anything that I can do to improve my chances for an earlier delivery. I cannot really conclude anything regarding delivery expectations from teslfi.com based on that config. I did try to set my iPhone to be a wifi hotspot this morning, but the car didn't recognize it.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Dan

I think something is delaying the MY updates. I have a 2021 M3 and a 2021 MY. They always seem to get updates within a few days of each other but my M3 got 36.2 weeks ago and the MY has not. I'm loving the new trip power usage info in the 36+ firmware that my M3 now has. My MY is my long distance car so I'm really looking forward to getting it in the MY. But it looks like there is a delay for some MYs for some reason
Don't complain. The FSD beta has NONE of the nice improvement that non FSD people have. And it still works like crap

Reactions: Daekwan
Upvote 0
Somehow I get every single new update within a week, which seems to put me in the top few percent of cars on each new release. The only thing I can think of is that I download and install every new update immediately, so maybe that tells the system that I'm interested in being a tester. Maybe waiting a few days or longer to download it puts you in a different category.

Currently on 2022.36.6

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've consistently gotten updates but I too am stuck on 28.2 (2022 M3LR). This one does seem odd, I've never really taken note of when the updates have been applied so all I have is my gut feeling that my next update is delayed for some odd reason. I have been seeing everyone posting about really strange routing and perhaps they are delaying some of these updates as they sort that out.

Upvote 0
According to Teslafi, over 27% of their users with Model Ys are on 2022.28.2. Nothing is wrong with your vehicle, this is just the process. They don’t release to everyone at once. Sometimes you will get an update right away, sometimes it will be weeks after others get it. Nothing you can do will change this. No need to submit a service request or call Tesla. Unless you are over two months past a release, be patient and it will arrive when it is supposed to. Not the answer people want, but it’s the truth.

Upvote 0
As OxBrew says above, it looks like something is broken on the .36.x release. They’re up to .6 now as of a couple of days ago with no widespread release. Clearly they’re working on something, the releases aren’t too far apart.

I'm not sure if it was mentioned here or elsewhere, but heading over to teslafi or notateslaapp (both .com, the second one doesn’t need a subscription) you can peep some stats on each of the builds. Pretty fascinating if you’re a nerd.

ugh “Peep some stats.” Hello, fellow teenagers! 🙄

Upvote 0
My car only recently got this update, maybe a week or two ago? I’m NOT on “advanced” settings though. Meh…my approach is “the next update will come when it comes”.
Just walked to the car and toggled again and voila downloading 2022.36.5. We, Tesla owners, are so spoiled! My wife’s Porsche Taycan needs a visit to the dealership for OTA updates, apparently, (yup your read this correctly)

Upvote 0
Same here, stuck on the same version number for almost a month. March 2021 build. Also noticed the car will only indicate it is checking once every 24 hours. Doesn't matter how many times I try, I do not see a new check indicated until its been at least a day since the previous check.

It happens from time to time. That said Teslamate has tracked my car since I bought it and the average time between OTA updates has been about 2 weeks.
Just got the update from 28.2 to 36.5 this morning

Upvote 0
I just got a new MY last Friday. It came with 28.2 version. So far I haven't had any update pushed to the car.

Is there any requirements for the car to receive updates? Does it have to be on WiFi? My WiFi is fairly weak into my garage and driveway. My car was able to connect to one of my 2.4G bands but didn't find my 5G ones. It is at 1 bar on the WiFi symbol. I'm wondering if WiFi is a requirement for software updates if I'm going to have to get some extender/booster installed to get a faster signal into the garage?? Also if I do get an update will it take forever to download on a one bar 2.4 band?? My phone and Tesla wall connector seem to be able to find and connect to the 5G band so I guess the car doesn't have a great antenna??

Upvote 0
Just got the update from 28.2 to 36.5 this morning
36.6 just downloaded & installed this morning

Upvote 0
I just got a new MY last Friday. It came with 28.2 version. So far I haven't had any update pushed to the car.

Is there any requirements for the car to receive updates? Does it have to be on WiFi? My WiFi is fairly weak into my garage and driveway. My car was able to connect to one of my 2.4G bands but didn't find my 5G ones. It is at 1 bar on the WiFi symbol. I'm wondering if WiFi is a requirement for software updates if I'm going to have to get some extender/booster installed to get a faster signal into the garage?? Also if I do get an update will it take forever to download on a one bar 2.4 band?? My phone and Tesla wall connector seem to be able to find and connect to the 5G band so I guess the car doesn't have a great antenna??
The car needs to be on Wifi to receive and download an update 99.9% of the time*. It does not have to be on Wifi to install it, but I'd strongly recommend not installing an update unless you're not going any where for a while, or at night. Just in case there is an issue. I imagine if you have a weak signal it might take longer to download, just like a file on your computer.

*Tesla may push out an emergency update over the cell network if needed, but I've never gotten one.

Reactions: arbitrage000
Upvote 0
The car needs to be on Wifi to receive and download an update 99.9% of the time*. It does not have to be on Wifi to install it, but I'd strongly recommend not installing an update unless you're not going any where for a while, or at night. Just in case there is an issue. I imagine if you have a weak signal it might take longer to download, just like a file on your computer.

*Tesla may push out an emergency update over the cell network if needed, but I've never gotten one.
You can use and drive the vehicle while it’s downloading. It will just pause the download. But you can not use it while it’s installing. That needs to finish first

Upvote 0