Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Successful data recovery of broken eMMC chip MCU1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is not going to be possible, Word42. You are best advised to contact a hacker to do this work for you. I believe LuckyLuke is in the EU, and there are likely to be others.

You are not giving us the info we need to know because you don't have a perspective of what is being done/ needs to be done. It's like an X-ray technician trying to do a doctor's job.

Everyone has their specialties. If you are interested in this field, the only real option is university.

• Disagree
Reactions: Word42
man you have issues, and this forum is not for that,We all have them, smaller bigger but coping them is challenge.

i work together whit few hundred people everyday, and it includes lots of electronis :) and you get what you give, if you act rude then what you wil recive.
I am thankful for your advice few pages back.
I would say that you insulted me like a 5 year old :D

It is true, I am not patient with beginners; it is just not what I am geared for. I realize that I was a beginner at one time, and still am in many things.

I was working at my housing development a couple months ago when an East Indian guy stopped by and asked me a bunch of questions about doing a development. I listened and answered him fully to his satisfaction. He finally said, "I want to do a real estate development but I need help."

Disgusting.

Nobody ever helped me. Nobody even answered any of my questions. And from his clothes, evidently ~money~ was some of the help he needed.

I told him, "Yeah, everybody needs help." End of conversation. He comes from a populace where varying talents in a crowd get withered down to a general overall average. No that's not Racist. It's called 'Human'.

Neighbors of my project asked me how they can be real estate developers. And how 'it would be Cool to tell their friends that they are developers'. Californians are ridiculous. With few exceptions, 'status-conscious' is their main characteristic, and copying is their modus operandi. No, I'm a Texan, which may explain some of this.

I owned an apartment complex in the 1990's and a guy occasionally visited me to talk about investing. One day he brought pictures of apartments that needed alot of work and was in a red-lined area of Dallas. He said we can go in as partners on it. But that he needs $100 to start with a letter of intent. I said, 'YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE $100?!" "Eh, no." So no more visits.

In my above #143 I mustered every milliliter of compassion I could, but that just was it. Instead of being out drinking beer with my friends or screwing off playing games or watching TV, I was studying for my graduate degree (which took 20 years of night school), or was meticulously deconstructing this or that, because I love to learn.

You know, in Europe (and every other developed nation in the world except the US) they have free university FOR THE DESERVING. This means that you have the capacity, motivation, and willingness to do some sh1t for yourself, not to mention the foresight to perceive how much richer your life will be with an advanced education. This eliminates most of the population, fairly.

So if you don't have these abilities, just pay somebody. That is the choice you have been making over many years and so the sacrifice you must make now.

I share the things I learn and have had bits of help from vg and Matt for which I am grateful. But I've had to fight to learn almost everything I post, myself. It takes ten times the effort to move forward, as it does to stay in stasis.

Are you just a meat-puppet consuming resources, producing waste, and taking up space (a proper and just evolutionary target for COVID19), or are you making something, improving something, inventing something?
</rant>

(And evidently, popularity is not one of my overriding concerns)

Last edited:
I hear you, rooter. We do have somethings in common, boundless curiosity and independence. I also started a small real estate business when I was 17yo, and still own it today (but not running it daily). My day job is teaching medical students, training graduate students in my lab, and working on finding treatments for diseases that currently have none. I am short tempted and lack patience in nature, but I have had great mentors who had been patient with me. So, I do the same for my students and postdocs. When I exceed my capacity, I would ask them to leave my office before I scream (or I would do it in my car). It can be hard at times.

Hi everyone,

I just accessed another eMMC (of another CID) using another reader than last time, and made some observations I would like to share.
But first I have to correct an older post of mine regarding the required connections to the eMMC. After obtaining the eMMC specifications (JEDEC Standard No. 84-A441) and reading through them, I have to stand corrected on the issue of 1-Bit mode. Although there is a 1-Bit data transfer mode, it must not be confused with the SPI mode of normal MMC cards (I did exactly that in a previous post). Although MMC and eMMC are still related, the eMMC Standard which succeeds the MMC standard, explicitely obsoletes SPI mode. To access an eMMC using 1-Bit mode, one has to connect VDD, VSS/GND (for power) as well as CLK, CMD and DAT0 (Communcation). The width of the bus is determined by a bus testing procedure ( from the spec, paragraph 7.6.4 "By issuing commands CMD19 and CMD14 in single data rate mode the host can detect the functional pins on the bus.") According to that, it should not be neccessary to connect D3.

Now the observations: Since I was this time using an older PSU with analog meter, I measured the voltage with a digital multimeter on the PSU output. Nothing happened when I had it around 2.8 - 3.0 V ... just at 3.3 V (and above) the action began (with a current draw of about 1.2 A) . Surprised by that, I measured the voltage directly at the board which showed to be just 2.8 V. In the end one of the wires in the connection between power-supply and board had quite a high resistance (low diameter combined with bad spring contact) which led to a voltage drop of 600 mV. With a voltage between 2.8 and 2.9 volt on the CID board, everything went fine and I was able to extract and modify P3 and P4.
So folks be sure to verify the supply voltage directly on the CID ! (Especially when using thin wires to connect it)

image2.jpeg image1.jpeg image0.jpeg image3.jpeg

That's why I'm making the wiki. Rather than having info lost in a swamp of forum threads, it's cataloged, albeit slowly as I can do it.

So far no one else is helping (and they probably won't) but I'm writing as I can. I don't care if I'm alone.

Reactions: Word42
Certs aren't important to back up, as they're just for Tesla if you're not rooted. But tokens are very useful; unfortunately tokens expire daily because remember: Life Is For Suffering. What matters is your carkeys, vin, gateway config and a few others.

Everyone who's out of warranty or Salvage should have at least one backup, and protect it. And know your current firmware version number. But the way you Earthlings are we all know that's not necessarily going to happen. I give several fallback procedures to recover which should succeed.

Everyone who's out of warranty or Salvage should be rooted, if not for yourself then for an open-sourcer service like ce2078 or TonyT to do stuff for you.

I've got a Tegra board with a dead eMMC (already pulled). I used another board that works to replace this one to fix the MCU, which worked great other than the lack of correct keys!

I didn't know that the firmware version was important to know before hand. Now i have Tegraboard with no eMMC, and I don't know what version was on the IC/MCU before it was pulled.

As far as I know, the version info is somewhere on the spansion chip. Unfortunately I'm not clear on how to access the data in the spansion chip. I would very much like to repair the Tegra board.

Presumably this can be found after booting up a suitable version of u-boot (fusee hack)?

I've got a Tegra board with a dead eMMC (already pulled). I used another board that works to replace this one to fix the MCU, which worked great other than the lack of correct keys!

I didn't know that the firmware version was important to know before hand. Now i have Tegraboard with no eMMC, and I don't know what version was on the IC/MCU before it was pulled.

As far as I know, the version info is somewhere on the spansion chip. Unfortunately I'm not clear on how to access the data in the spansion chip. I would very much like to repair the Tegra board.

Presumably this can be found after booting up a suitable version of u-boot (fusee hack)?

Does anyone know if the fw version of the car is stores somewhere on the motherboard which the cid is attached to, or only on the cid?

Could one use a bench MCU and put in a cid from a different car? Im my interpritstion the fw version is store on the cid and the oc, but i could be wrong?