Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Successful Full Refund (Buy-Back / Vehicle Return) After Three Months & 636 Miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personally, I'm considering it the "Pain & Suffering" component of a narrowly averted lawsuit. Plus -- even with the $12,500, I'm still not entirely sure I've actually come out ahead considering the number of work hours lost in this project over the multi-month drama.

That is a fair and valid point. Do you have pictures that can be shared so others can obtain the scope of your issues?

I have a question related to buy backs in case anyone knows the nitty gritty. Obviously they hold more merit if you meet lemon criteria when broaching the subject with Tesla so that got me looking a little closer. For my state (and a lot it looks like), if business days out of service are > 30, then you would quality. I wanted to ask how this is calculated? Does the day you are scheduled for service and drop the car off count (documented as Date/Time Received on repair order)? How about the 'Ready date' on your repair order? What about Saturday's since the service center i have always dealt with has hours on Saturdays. I just want to make sure I fully meet criteria before discussing with Tesla.

Last edited:
You will need to demonstrate the reason of you going to the shop is something safety related. If you go in asking for panel gaps to be fixed, that is probably not going to win you a case. If you have an airbag that is out of commission and they don't have parts for a month, you have a good chance to win it as you can't drive the car without it.

The Tesla buyback is usually negotiated with the store manager, he/she will be doing the process with you.

If you have the time, wait as long as you can, make sure your case is as solid as ever. Don't file if it is 30 days, file when you have 40-45 to ensure your case is fool proof.

@David3: @MP3 is correct — you must work through a combination of the local Service Center leadership team (primarily) and the local Delivery team (secondarily). Those two have exclusive access to the Business Resolutions team back at corporate. I ended up being on a text message basis with managers from both local teams by the end of my ordeal
I'm new to this forum and need your help dealing with my service ordeal. My brand new car has been at the service center for over 3 weeks (originally there to fix back up camera issue). They not only broke my window, but damaged my door(s), lied to me about, and won't disclose what actually happened. I found out they took it to a body shop that is NOT Tesla-certified. All I know is that it was repainted without my consent. They are making me pick it up tomorrow and I want to make sure that picking it up does NOT mean that I am accepting its condition as is. It was a 2 month old car that has spent almost a month at their service center. I am considering legal action since the local service manager said my vehicle doesn't qualify for a buy back but wouldn't elaborate. I am insisting on a replacement car since I cannot trust that there wasn't more damage than they have told me (they initially said there was no body damage, only a broken window, yet they had to take it to the body shop twice). Please help.

I'm new to this forum and need your help dealing with my service ordeal. My brand new car has been at the service center for over 3 weeks (originally there to fix back up camera issue). They not only broke my window, but damaged my door(s), lied to me about, and won't disclose what actually happened. I found out they took it to a body shop that is NOT Tesla-certified. All I know is that it was repainted without my consent. They are making me pick it up tomorrow and I want to make sure that picking it up does NOT mean that I am accepting its condition as is. It was a 2 month old car that has spent almost a month at their service center. I am considering legal action since the local service manager said my vehicle doesn't qualify for a buy back but wouldn't elaborate. I am insisting on a replacement car since I cannot trust that there wasn't more damage than they have told me (they initially said there was no body damage, only a broken window, yet they had to take it to the body shop twice). Please help.
There is no excuse for lying. Having said that, mistakes happen and have to be dealt with. If the repairs were done so you can’t even tell anything was wrong, then take the car and enjoy it. If there is still noticeable damage then make them fix it and ask for reasonable compensation. Asking for a new vehicle in your scenario is not reasonable IMO and will get you nothing. Tesla employees are human beings and will take care of friendly customers better than mean, unreasonable ones.

How “new” is your car (miles)? You need to look up your state’s lemon laws or the arbitration agreement you may or may not be bound by in your purchase contract. Sounds like you’re probably close to the thresholds. Look up a lemon law attorney and get a free consultation. You’ll need documentation to make a case to Tesla and especially if you take alternative action. I don’t think it’s reasonable for Tesla to get the benefit of the doubt if they haven't been transparent about the circumstances of damaging your car.

How “new” is your car (miles)? You need to look up your state’s lemon laws or the arbitration agreement you may or may not be bound by in your purchase contract. Sounds like you’re probably close to the thresholds. Look up a lemon law attorney and get a free consultation. You’ll need documentation to make a case to Tesla and especially if you take alternative action. I don’t think it’s reasonable for Tesla to get the benefit of the doubt if they haven't been transparent about the circumstances of damaging your car.
I'm in CA and I don't think lemon law applies to my case. My car was 2 months old with 2000 miles when I brought it in. It has accrued excess mileage that they can't account for. They claim that it was due to taking it back and forth to the body shop, but that would be 3 round trips.

If the car was repaired to your satisfaction, settle with the service manager for FSD if you didn't already purchase that option? Or ask to speak to the regional service manager regarding the buy back request if you want to push further. If you didn't opt out of arbitration, go ahead and fill out your form and organize your documentation to submit if the RSM pushes back as well. Honestly though, while unfortunate, I am not sure how good your chances are until you meet lemon law criteria firmly.

arbitration is a waste of time. They will find in Tesla's favor regardless... they ignored issues that were obvious violations per my states lemon laws. Lawyer is an option but usually very slow. Took almost 4 months for me to get done with my 3!

Reactions: indikar
I disagree. Arbitration is set up strongly in favor of the consumer in California. If you meet the requirements, you can win and it doesn’t take as long as a trial.
I am not in CA, but I am still giving it the old college try. Car meets lemon criteria for business days out of service in my state, so if the award from the arbitration doesn't work, I'll just pay an attorney to file the lemon claim.

I am not in CA, but I am still giving it the old college try. Car meets lemon criteria for business days out of service in my state, so if the award from the arbitration doesn't work, I'll just pay an attorney to file the lemon claim.
That’s a good approach. Bring all the documentation you can provide, and be nice to the arbitrator. :) Gluck!

I have won and lost cases with the arbitrator, the key is having a valid argument. I still think it will be tough to justify lemon law since this is body damage and it is not from a manufacture issue. Did they note the rear camera repair order as being in the shop for 30 days?

Mine was bought back recently and then they cancelled my replacement order and said they won't sell me another car. That if I would have kept it, they would have allowed me to buy another car from them but since I asked for it to be bought back, even though it had a laundry list of valid issues, and even though I cancelled the arbitration case, they don't want me as a customer again, heh. The showroom new experience has been a let down twice now so I am not sure I am all that bothered by that... :rolleyes: I still own another Model 3... These guys have thin skin. :p