Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reducing the max voltage is one of the easiest way to preserve longevity on cells that are showing higher-than-desired degradation. The rate of reaction between the anode and the electrolyte increases dramatically as voltages rise.

Not if you never charge that high anyways except for the rare times when you must which is how most of us manage our own degradation. We paid for it.

Reactions: Droschke
Nobody is disputing that these packs have performed worse than most Tesla packs, and worse than what their owners expected of them.

Except that before the update, the packs were performing fine and INLINE exactly with previous packs that had many more miles. There's tons of fleet data to prove that most if not all of those packs would have continued at the same rate of degradation that identical packs with many more miles had already experienced along the same fleet degradation graph.

For what its worth:

I have a P85D with Ludicrous update - my delivery date was early Jan 2015. I noticed a few weeks ago that my range seemed to be down slightly - about 2-3%. 100% charges now seem to give be about 390km vs 400km before, and 90% charges have me at about 358km vs 364km. I don't know exactly when this started but I would guess around mid-June to early July. I am in Canada in case that makes a difference.

p.s. I was unaware of this issue until I saw it in a newspaper story this morning.

This will be the case with the VAST majority of those effected. This is why a class action is so important in this type of case because the firm will be able to notify all potentially effected customers. Most of the customers...basically all that aren't on this thread....will have been told by Tesla that it is normal degradation and they'll all just accept it because they won't know any better.

They may have a lot of leeway with most things but not with firmware...

Can you show single example anywhere of a SC downgrading firmware? Tesla technicians have said that they would be fired if they were to downgrade a car.
The Service Manager has leeway with regards to everything. Since you are basing your posts of of what tesla technicians say, no wonder you are confused. They are nothing more than parts swappers.

I would think that Tesla will fix this and make it right for owners. Imagine all of the discovery Tesla will need to provide about its battery, proprietary systems, and events that led up to Tesla's decision. I don't think Tesla wants all of that out there.

Plus hundreds of thousands of potentially effected customers who are non the wiser at this point getting a letter telling them that if they saw a sudden decrease in range around (this time or software update) then it's likely due a range robbing update from Tesla rather than actual degradation.

And how do YOU interpret that range will be mitigated?

That they will make the reduction in range "less severe, serious, or painful." (Saying it would be reversed is saying that it would be 100% undone.)

So maybe they will reduce the range cap by 50%, 75, or 90%. But WK057 thought they would have to do something, but that it wouldn't be significant.

image.jpg
There are 19 counts to the lawsuit.
Some will be addressed if the new release restores the range.
Some will not.
Additionally, we have heard ad nauseam from multiple front in this thread about this all being about battery safety.
Tesla still hasn't stated WHY this happened.
If it is for safety... then will rolling this back cause a dangerous condition.
I REALLY need to know that.
This is the third time that Tesla has stolen what was paid for throught software. Its not going to stop until they get punished. Its probably no big deal to them, because they are not the ones driving these crippled cars.

The worst part of this is even though they say they will restore whatever it is they stole, they never do. Its all lip service, backed with more nonsense through number manipulation. Attached is my cars Rated range calculation for an 85kwh pack, which is different than everyone elses, and has changed with these different software versions, to make degredation appear lower than it is. No. big deal really, but it shows how they have manipulated stuff for their own benefit, and will continue to do so, until they are held accountable.

I have a January 2016 MS70D that has been impacted since May. Current range at 100% is 187 miles, I calculate 56kwH remaining . I‘m currently overseas but got a message that the software update is available, and I‘ve downloaded Version 2019.28.2 320fba0.

Now I have to wait till I get back to Australia in three weeks to see if things have improved...

And just to be clear you don't really know what your 100% range is since you can't actually charge to 100% :p

Could you please not try and gatekeep this discussion? @KarenRei seems to be very knowledgeable about the subject, and we're all entitled to discuss this issue regardless of whether we own an affected vehicle or not.

I believe the BMS is controlled via firmware, which is what gets updated during an OTA update.
I am not gate keeping. I was trying to get the point across unsuccessfully that it is not normal degradation, but Karen keeps saying it is. I will now keep my mouth shut and allow the argument to distract from the original issue.
Have fun.

• Funny
Yes they do, but the reporter doesn't have that information. I prefer journalists to state facts as opposed to assumptions extrapolated from an incredibly small sample size. Have you not considered that affected users are more likely to visit this site looking for a solution than someone who has no issue?
So, it's up to Tesla then to respond. After all, she said potentially. They have the data to narrow that if they can.

• Love
If so, then your batteries should be degraded even if there were nothing wrong with the pack, and it'd be your own fault. Everyone knows (or at least should know) that you're not supposed to charge to 100% daily unless you have absolutely no other choice (wherein even "slow" degradation will eventually ruin things for you).

The natural consequence of charging to 100% is natural degradation i.e. the battery actually loses capacity. This is not a dangerous thing to do but it's not advisable. Still degradation from this behavior is not covered and if someone is doing it intentionally, then it is their choice. They paid for it.

That said, there are limo and rideshare companies that supercharge to 100% multiple times every day and many of those batteries still managed to last to 150K+ miles before they were replaced and most the ones that were replaced were due to contactor issues, not because they had anything but normal degradation.

Last edited:
Say it with me, BATTERY PACKS ARE ALWAYS LIMITED BY SOFTWARE FROM THE DAY YOU BUY THE CAR IN ORDER TO PROTECT SAFETY AND LONGEVITY, THAT'S THE ENTIRE JOB OF A BMS.

You're trying to make a joke and it might be funny if it weren't just flat out false. Tesla packs were never capacity software limited until 2019.16.1 (excluding packs where the consumer paid for a smaller pack than is physically in the car).

Unlikely since English language readers paying attention will note the words "*Figures based on testing new vehicles to EPA standards. Vehicle range may change depending on battery age and condition, vehicle configuration, driving style, environmental and climate change."

None of those apply. Even vehicle configuration only applies to options you might add at the time of delivery that result in a different range than what the configured vehicle was used in the test loop. They don't test all possible configurations.

It does NOT include a software update that restricts access to existing range.

The key point is that all li-ion batteries, even when brand new, are:
  • At risk of self-combustion if charged beyond certain voltage / current limits (which vary greatly based on conditions and the how the various aging processes have affected the cells)
  • At risk of unacceptable levels of degradation if charged beyond certain voltage / current limits (same as above)
Which is why you always have limits coded into the BMS. Again, that's the BMS's job.

A key limiting factor in charging is anode intercalation rates. Intercalation of lithium ions into the anode is energetically preferable to plating lithium; they "want" to intercalate rather than plate out. But the rate at which intercalation can proceed varies depending on the conditions - and each of these can be seen in how the BMS manages charging.
  • Ion mobility, and thus intercalation rates, are strongly dependent on temperature. In practice, you see this as very slow charging until the battery warms up.
  • Intercalation slows down the more lithium there is already intercalated in the anode. The BMS responds with what you see as taper.
  • Above a certain point, intercalation has slowed to such an extent that you can A) no longer reliably ensure no lithium plating, and or B) the high reactivity of the anode makes for an unacceptable level of reaction with the electrolyte, and thus degradation. You see this as the cutoff.
It's long been clear that the packs in question were not living up to the desired longevity standards.
  • First off, we got the nerfed Supercharging after a fixed number of sessions in 2017. This clearly spells out Tesla's concern: after a given number of sessions, they can no longer trust that intercalation is proceeding fast enough for the full ~120kW charging. Ion mobility is suffering as the packs age and in particular as they are supercharged - hence the limits which quite clearly spell out the problem.
  • Now we get this - a voltage limit, and possibly a further charging limit. A voltage limit at the upper end would more commonly be interpreted as protecting the battery from excessive anode-electrolyte reactions - and that might well be. But combined with the charge rate (and thus intercalation) limits, it looks more like they cannot trust the reliability of intercalation at the upper end of the packs. The problem could also be both.
Why didn't Tesla's accelerated aging tests detect this problem? It's hard to say; accelerated aging is a very difficult thing to do reliably (it's even possible that there were QC issues on the anode powder that were out of Tesla's control). I'd love to know what went wrong, but I doubt we ever will. But acceptable intercalation rates have clearly fallen far faster than Tesla expected them to vs. how these packs were testing when new. As they age, the anodes just aren't soaking up the lithium like they're supposed to - at least not reliably.

Can you force them to charge faster? Of course you can. Just like you can try to force new cells with new chemistries to charge much faster and to maximum theoretical voltages than they already do. But it's the BMS's job to stop you from doing what's possible, and instead limit you to what's reasonable. Sure, it "works" - but you're taking away 9s in that reliability game. Whether the issue is safety or longevity, it's the BMS's job to stop you from hurting yourself. The more a manufacturer learns, the more they change the BMS's algorithm. If the news you learn is good, charge rates, tapers, max voltages etc improve. If the news is bad.... well, this happens. And it sucks for those affected.

But this is the BMS's job. And it is absolutely right to update the BMS based on the information that you collect over time as to how packs with that chemistry are aging - for good or for bad.

To sum up:
  • Packs are always limited. From the very day you pick up the car. That's the BMS's job.
  • The limits in the BMS should be updated based on the latest information - good or bad.
  • The ability of lithium to be reliably intercalated into the anodes clearly has degraded faster than the company anticipated - hence the chain of downgrades over time.
  • Nothing in the warranty guarantees a minimum range
  • People absolutely have a right to be upset about how much the range is dropping
  • Tesla should try to do something for them, without setting a trend of "non-warranty-covered fixes will occur at Tesla's cost any time people are disappointed with something". What would be appropriate is reasonably up for debate.
    • Rolling back the changes and pretending that anode degradation isn't happening, however, is not a reasonable choice.
  • Tesla failing to communicate when there's bad news they have to deal with is understandable (who wants to broadcast negative PR when you can just handle the issue silently?), but incredibly frustrating for affected individuals.
That's just my two krónur.

You just keep repeating BS that is totally wrong.

But is anyone suggesting the BMS settings are too aggressive in Teslas? I thought 4.2V was pretty much an industry standard specification.

Pretty much. All my 18650 hobby charges charge my cells to 4.2 volts regardless of how degraded they are. The good ones charge cells that have higher IR at slower rates to prevent them from overheating, but you can always safely charge an 18650 cell to full unless it's defective even if you have to charge it slower to get there.

• Informative