Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The quickest thing to do would be to yank the bad modules and remanufacture the battery with the rest of the good modules as one level lower battery, and use it for warranty repairs of vehicles with smaller batteries. So, 75, 70, 60... and even 40 :D

I believe wk057 said that wasn't doable. Specifically discussed that earlier in the thread.

S75 owner here. Thinking about getting an X P90DL... does this battery issue with software limitations affect the X cars as well?

Btw, I think my 75 has been affected. It was a reman battery installed when my original failed in March 2019. 90% was 220, now it’s 215. But I just figured it was normal?

• Informative
Reactions: DJRas
Powerwalls/packs use a different module design as well as different chemistry. So they wouldn't be used for that.
I said like. They can certainly design stationary packs to use car modules if they want to. Since they are battery constrained and would have good modules available from unusable car packs it would be very wasteful and uneconomical not to address reuse.

Reactions: Droschke
I said like. They can certainly design stationary packs to use car modules if they want to. Since they are battery constrained and would have good modules available from unusable car packs it would be very wasteful and uneconomical not to address reuse.

I'm sure they need modules to test out their recycling plan/equipment so maybe that is what they could use them for.

Reactions: raphy3
S75 owner here. Thinking about getting an X P90DL... does this battery issue with software limitations affect the X cars as well?

Btw, I think my 75 has been affected. It was a reman battery installed when my original failed in March 2019. 90% was 220, now it’s 215. But I just figured it was normal?
That is a solution I have also considered, ie upgrading to a 90 or 100 pack to escape from batterygate. But if course that wouldn’t make you immune from chargegate, where they limit the charge speed to around 50% of normal.

And even if it avoided chargegate, I have absolutely zero, perhaps even a minus figure, confidence that Tesla might not do something similar on another issue. They have misled, made several promises they have since broken, obfuscated and generally treated owners with utter contempt. As much as I love my car, and I do love it, there is a real issue in that I have no desire to give Tesla another penny more of my money. The great price drop fiasco slashed £10-£15K off the value of my car overnight. Turning it from a S70 to a S60 just added another £5K to that loss.

The main reasons for buying my MS was the range, the speed, the Supercharger network and how stunning it looked.

They have taken the range away.
The speed remains.
The Supercharger network, for many owners, is now limited to CHAdeMO speed. I suspect more owners will be caught up in charge capping. The new 150 kW chargers must surely just bring that day ever closer.
It still looks good.

So all I need to find is a good looking car that moves. How hard can that be.

Are you in here to purposely obfuscate the point of the thread? You said you drive a model 3 and that extra range that was added in at some point for free was taken away by software and then readded later. Therefore you don't find the subject of the comment you quoted shady. How does your experience have anything to do with the comment you quoted about model S owners paying for their range and then having it removed by software?
A significant portion of this thread revolves around trying to figure out how Tesla manages degradation and the various variables they change in the BMS. There are obviously differences of opinion on what constitutes a legit change to manage battery health. It is most certainly relevant to discuss changes in Tesla's other vehicles especially variables that affect the "rated" range. There was a debate earlier in thread on whether or not Tesla had changed the consumption variable. As far as your shady comment, I don't find it shady that Tesla changes how they calculate range during the lifespan of the vehicle as long as it isn't done specifically to hide some defect from consumers. That was the point of my comment.

btw - I don't see anything in this thread title that references "Model S owners paying for their range and then having it removed by software? Perhaps you should start a new thread dedicated to that.

You think your car has been affected and know how dishonest Tesla has been with the impacted owners, yet you want to buy another car from them?

• Funny
Reactions: Guillaume and VT_EE
The topic of this thread is "Sudden loss of range with 2019-16-x software". After over 5000 post, it's established, with abundance of evidence, that the sudden range loss is due to a deliberate and sudden voltage cap to limit the battery capacity.

Yet, unbelievably, the detractors keep talking about degradation. Amazing, isn't it? As the expression goes, even the mules can be less stubborn.

A significant portion of this thread revolves around trying to figure out how Tesla manages degradation and the various variables they change in the BMS. There are obviously differences of opinion on what constitutes a legit change to manage battery health. It is most certainly relevant to discuss changes in Tesla's other vehicles especially variables that affect the "rated" range. There was a debate earlier in thread on whether or not Tesla had changed the consumption variable. As far as your shady comment, I don't find it shady that Tesla changes how they calculate range during the lifespan of the vehicle as long as it isn't done specifically to hide some defect from consumers. That was the point of my comment.

btw - I don't see anything in this thread title that references "Model S owners paying for their range and then having it removed by software? Perhaps you should start a new thread dedicated to that.

First, even though the title of this thread does not specify the model S, it is in the forum section devoted to the model S. It is not in the forum section for the model 3, charging, etc., so a normal person would conclude that this thread is directed to the model S.

Second, anyone that owns a 85 kWh battery (either the regular model S or the P85 variant) payed a significant upgrade charge for that battery. The “standard” battery at that time was the 60 kWh battery (disregarding the extremely limited availability of the 40 kWh that was actually a software capped 60 kWh battery) and if IRC, the 85 kWh battery was about a $10,000 upgrade charge. I would venture a guess that almost everyone that paid this upgrade charge did so for the increased range available from the 85 kWh battery. So this thread is perfectly correct in discussing the “taking” of range that we paid for.

Third (and most importantly), please stop confusing degradation with capping. Your discussion keeps referring to degradation. This thread is not directed to degradation. It is directed to limiting (capping) the charge voltage of the cells in the battery to a value of less than 100% SOC (eg, 4.2 volts). I suggest you obtain a copy of the app ScanMyTesla (unfortunately only available for Android phones), an OBDlink scanner and a suitable adapter cable. Plug the cable and scanner into your canbus port and you will see that an uncapped battery charges to 4.2 volts at 100% SOC. A battery that has degradation will still charge to 4.2 volts. However, a capped battery charges to a lesser value (4.09 volts in my capped battery). So please, stop confusing this thread by talking about degradation. They are two completely different, unrelated things.

First, even though the title of this thread does not specify the model S, it is in the forum section devoted to the model S. It is not in the forum section for the model 3, charging, etc., so a normal person would conclude that this thread is directed to the model S.

Second, anyone that owns a 85 kWh battery (either the regular model S or the P85 variant) payed a significant upgrade charge for that battery. The “standard” battery at that time was the 60 kWh battery (disregarding the extremely limited availability of the 40 kWh that was actually a software capped 60 kWh battery) and if IRC, the 85 kWh battery was about a $10,000 upgrade charge. I would venture a guess that almost everyone that paid this upgrade charge did so for the increased range available from the 85 kWh battery. So this thread is perfectly correct in discussing the “taking” of range that we paid for.

Third (and most importantly), please stop confusing degradation with capping. Your discussion keeps referring to degradation. This thread is not directed to degradation. It is directed to limiting (capping) the charge voltage of the cells in the battery to a value of less than 100% SOC (eg, 4.2 volts). I suggest you obtain a copy of the app ScanMyTesla (unfortunately only available for Android phones), an OBDlink scanner and a suitable adapter cable. Plug the cable and scanner into your canbus port and you will see that an uncapped battery charges to 4.2 volts at 100% SOC. A battery that has degradation will still charge to 4.2 volts. However, a capped battery charges to a lesser value (4.09 volts in my capped battery). So please, stop confusing this thread by talking about degradation. They are two completely different, unrelated things.

Thank you. He has been in this thread from its early days and what you have articulated has been explained to him so many times. Yet, he comes back again and again and repeats the same line of arguments. As I said before, it's OK to be wrong once in a while, but it's even better to accept the facts, make correction and move on. It works for most people, but not for all.

I believe wk057 said that wasn't doable. Specifically discussed that earlier in the thread.
Wk057's day job is selling them for that purpose. He would never tell you something he does for a living "isn't doable" - he said tesla won't do it. People do it every day.

We're way off topic here. Who cares what Tesla does with all of the recalled Takata airgags? I don't, I only care that they sent me an NHTSA approved letter telling me when I would have faulty hardware removed from my car and replaced with an equal or better than original part installed in its place as is required by law.

It won’t be long before Tesla takes what he paid for in his Model 3 through a “battery management” software update, and we all can tell him what he has been touting in this thread.

It’s only a matter of time...
It already happened, just not to him yet. When hurricane Dorian was coming in and Tesla did their "unlock the software-locked batteries for free PR" thing they always do, a number of Model 3 LR owners were "mistakenly" capped instead, so from that we know they already had a voltage cap update written and ready for immediate deployment. It was mistakenly deployed this time, next time it will be intentional. They wouldn't write downgrade firmware for a battery that isn't avaialble with a software cap if there wasn't any intent to use it.

I would probably follow that thread too, just to see how the new mainstream copes.
I have a feeling it's easy to guess how that would go. The model 3 crowd is dominated by some loudmouths that tend to cry "FUD!" at everything Tesla has ever done wrong - and they're demographically younger and more prone to the same bunker mentality that afflicts Tesla so they tend to deny their chosen corporation can do any wrong and lack the years of experience it took for us all to come to grips with Tesla's devious nature. A lot of us probably fell victim to the same naivete years ago; I remember not believing warnings from Roadster owners when the S was the new hotness, it took repeated personal experiences to convince me, though fortunately fewer of us became the sort of evangelical disagreeables that this latest generation has spawned. They won't stop being disagreeables until time or tragedy teaches them some personal lessons they are unable to deny.

Last edited:
The main reasons for buying my MS was the range, the speed, the Supercharger network and how stunning it looked.

They have taken the range away.
The speed remains.
The Supercharger network, for many owners, is now limited to CHAdeMO speed. I suspect more owners will be caught up in charge capping. The new 150 kW chargers must surely just bring that day ever closer.
It still looks good.

I’m not so sure about the speed, thou you may be referring to its top speed and not its 0-60 mph acceleration. My P85 definitely feels slower after the capping. I had a same year P85 loaner vehicle last week (which had an uncapped 90 kWh battery) and the loaner vehicle was definitely faster than my capped battery P85 car is now.

I’m not so sure about the speed, thou you may be referring to its top speed and not its 0-60 mph acceleration. My P85 definitely feels slower after the capping. I had a same year P85 loaner vehicle last week (which had an uncapped 90 kWh battery) and the loaner vehicle was definitely faster than my capped battery P85 car is now.
It is slower. I noticed the reduction in power before I read about the range. I believe this is one of the counts named in the class action.

Wk057's day job is selling them for that purpose. He would never tell you something he does for a living "isn't doable" - he said tesla won't do it. People do it every day.

We're way off topic here. Who cares what Tesla does with all of the recalled Takata airgags? I don't, I only care that they sent me an NHTSA approved letter telling me when I would have faulty hardware removed from my car and replaced with an equal or better than original part installed in its place as is required by law.
I care if it could result in an economical way for Tesla to refurbish battery packs as replacements for capped/degraded packs, either under warranty so they might be more willing to do so, or post-warranty so that it could be an affordable way to extend the useful life of cars we otherwise love.

I bought my Model S hoping it would be a long-term investment, but willing to accept the risk that it might only last as long as the 8-year warranty, and knowing at the time there was a very good possibility Tesla wouldn't even be around that long.

I don't think mass-market buyers are going to accept that. I believe sales will plunge if an 8-year life becomes the general expectation and then my worst case scenario becomes reality.

I am disappointed by the current situation and feel that so far, Tesla is handling it badly. What could have been a confidence-building experience is instead leading to the FUD that delights the shorts, ICE manufacturers and oil companies.

Or, Like I suggested... sell them on Ebay for a profit. Removing liability for used packs. Costing little in Tesla time and effort to renew. These will all be used in environmentally suitable applications like home power, ev conversions, etc.

It already happened, just not to him yet. When hurricane Dorian was coming in and Tesla did their "unlock the software-locked batteries for free PR" thing they always do, a number of Model 3 LR owners were "mistakenly" capped instead, so from that we know they already had a voltage cap update written and ready for immediate deployment. It was mistakenly deployed this time, next time it will be intentional. They wouldn't write downgrade firmware for a battery that isn't avaialble with a software cap if there wasn't any intent to use it.

I have a feeling it's easy to guess how that would go. The model 3 crowd is dominated by some loudmouths that tend to cry "FUD!" at everything Tesla has ever done wrong - and they're demographically younger and more prone to the same bunker mentality that afflicts Tesla so they tend to deny their chosen corporation can do any wrong and lack the years of experience it took for us all to come to grips with Tesla's devious nature. A lot of us probably fell victim to the same naivete years ago; I remember not believing warnings from Roadster owners when the S was the new hotness, it took repeated personal experiences to convince me, though fortunately fewer of us became the sort of evangelical disagreeables that this latest generation has spawned. They won't stop being disagreeables until time or tragedy teaches them some personal lessons they are unable to deny.

One of those "disagreeables" does not even own a Tesla car !!!