Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like our reports were noticed. If you haven't yet reported your software capped Tesla to the NHTSA, be sure to do so! If this is safety related, we need to know about it, and if it's a defect Tesla needs to be reminded they have warranty coverage obligations. They can't treat the NHTSA as dismissively as they treat us, so this should force some answers.

Chiming in here with the caveat that I haven't read the prior 289 pages of this thread, so if I'm restating something that's been hashed and rehashed, please bear with me.

I have a 2015 P85 that had its battery replaced back in March/April of this year. The subsequent software update that is being discussed did nothing to reduce the car's range whatsoever. Is this because:
  • It's just random chance that my range wasn't affected, or
  • The fact that I had just obtained a new (refurbished) battery means that the software was written to take this into account and not reduce my range?
If it's the latter, is that evidence for/against the range reduction that folks are seeing being safety related? (IOW, if it's safety related due to a battery design flaw then it seems that I would be seeing a range reduction, too, no matter the total miles on my pack. I recognize that this argument is invalid if the safety issue comes about with age or mileage, however.)

Just wondering if my data point brings something new to the discussion.

Nobody knows what triggers the downgrades.

Here's my hypothesis: 2016.16+ scans your car's logs and if it sees what it is looking for your battery is downgraded roughly 10kwh over the course of a week (to better hide the theft) and your car gradually slows down as kWh capacity is removed, We know Tesla logs everything. We also know from one person in this thread that replacement batteries can be mistakenly limited because his car had a battery failure when it was on pre-limiting firmware, but when the new battery was limited by the update. Tesla removed the limit, so the trigger was apparently not battery related but instead a condition that was instituted by the car itself. His previous battery would probably have been limited forever like ours.

Your battery is new; for all Tesla has told us it will be limited eventually but probably not for 5 years. Your new battery probably has been slowed at superchargers, so you're covered by the class action. And if you have escaped all downgrades, the class action should ensure you don't get downgraded in a few years.

Your questions about safety are going to go unanswered until the NHTSA gets rough with Tesla. If it's safety related, it means we're victims of a criminal conspiracy and you're just as much a victim as we are.

It looks like our reports were noticed. If you haven't yet reported your software capped Tesla to the NHTSA, be sure to do so! If this is safety related, we need to know about it, and if it's a defect Tesla needs to be reminded they have warranty coverage obligations. They can't treat the NHTSA as dismissively as they treat us, so this should force some answers.

How does one report their car to NHTSA?

I’m driving to LA on Sunday. The distance between the Mobile AL and Baton Rouge LA superchargers is 195 miles on a 70 mph highway. Before the capping, I could do the drive with ease. Now my car only has a range of 226 miles at 98% SOC (it will not charge to 100% SOC after the forced update). At 70mph, my battery consumption will be about 345 Wh/mile or more (based on weather, etc). I’m going to have to drive at 55 mph to hopefully get to the supercharger. It’s gonna be a white-knuckled drive. I hope the gov’t forces Tesla to do a recall so I get the range I paid for (257 miles) back.

I earlier reported that my range had increased by 2 miles recently. That was a fluke. The next time I charged (plus all times since), my 89% SOC was 206/207 miles.

Chiming in here with the caveat that I haven't read the prior 289 pages of this thread, so if I'm restating something that's been hashed and rehashed, please bear with me.

I have a 2015 P85 that had its battery replaced back in March/April of this year. The subsequent software update that is being discussed did nothing to reduce the car's range whatsoever. Is this because:
  • It's just random chance that my range wasn't affected, or
  • The fact that I had just obtained a new (refurbished) battery means that the software was written to take this into account and not reduce my range?
If it's the latter, is that evidence for/against the range reduction that folks are seeing being safety related? (IOW, if it's safety related due to a battery design flaw then it seems that I would be seeing a range reduction, too, no matter the total miles on my pack. I recognize that this argument is invalid if the safety issue comes about with age or mileage, however.)

Just wondering if my data point brings something new to the discussion.

A bit more detail would be helpful:
What's your new battery, 85kWh or 90kWh?
What's your firmaware version now?
What's your range @ 100% SoC now?

Last edited:

I’m driving to LA on Sunday. The distance between the Mobile AL and Baton Rouge LA superchargers is 195 miles on a 70 mph highway. Before the capping, I could do the drive with ease. Now my car only has a range of 226 miles at 98% SOC (it will not charge to 100% SOC after the forced update). At 70mph, my battery consumption will be about 345 Wh/mile or more (based on weather, etc). I’m going to have to drive at 55 mph to hopefully get to the supercharger. It’s gonna be a white-knuckled drive. I hope the gov’t forces Tesla to do a recall so I get the range I paid for (257 miles) back.

I earlier reported that my range had increased by 2 miles recently. That was a fluke. The next time I charged (plus all times since), my 89% SOC was 206/207 miles.

This is a pretty good real-life use case to show the negative impact of this capping B.S and what the owners have to put up with just because what is being imposed on all of us.

File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

This is a safety complaint not a legal one. Mention that they took action to downgrade horsepower and range along with all other aspects of performance through a total voltage cap after claiming to be releasing a fire-safety update, but officially no safety update was released ever. All we want is answers - recalls have procedures that aren't being followed.

This is a pretty good real-life use case to show the negative impact of this capping B.S and what the owners have to put up with just because what is being imposed on all of us.

Furthermore, because I will have to charge to 100% SOC (really 98%) for this drive and I am currently at a hotel in Mobile, AL, I will have to waste at least an hour at the Mobile supercharger Sunday morning to charge the car from approximately 90% SOC (which I will do Saturday evening) to the 98% SOC as I don’t want a fully charged battery sitting overnight. This is time that could be better spent driving, or relaxing at the destination.

This is a safety complaint not a legal one. Mention that they took action to downgrade horsepower and range along with all other aspects of performance through a total voltage cap after claiming to be releasing a fire-safety update, but officially no safety update was released ever. All we want is answers - recalls have procedures that aren't being followed.

Thanks. Will do this tonight.

Just filed mine!!!

Here is the text I put in the complaint:

Starting with a software update in May 2019, Tesla capped the max voltage the high voltage battery would charge to. They claim they did this "out of an abundance of caution" after several non-crash fires happened to these models. Tesla took action to downgrade horsepower and range along with all other aspects of performance through a total voltage cap after claiming to be releasing a fire-safety update, but officially no safety update was released. This change happened while the car was parked in my garage and stationary.
Tesla pushes battery software update after recent fires Tesla is Updating Battery Software After Model S Catches Fire in Hong Kong

A bit more detail would be helpful:

What's your new battery, 85kWh or 90kWh?
85kWh

What's your firmaware version now?

What's your range @ 100% SoC now?
I don't know. I rarely charge to 100% and haven't since the replacement. The 90% mileage is 228 miles, which is virtually unchanged from the 229 mile 90% range in the years preceding the replacement.

how do we report this? link?