Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is a question for all you intelligent folks:

When my range was reduced shockingly, it was December. I went from ~254 to ~234. It stayed pretty much at 234 until June when I now have ~242.

I have received a couple of updates during this period.

Our weather is now consistently 98-107 during the days and 65-80 by dawn. The garage is a balmy 90 most of the time.

Is this increase due to the weather; in other words, will the range drop once more around Thanksgiving?

It just seems like so much with this artificial cell capping is temperature dependent.

My car (S75D) has consistently produced higher km-number in the summer, than in the winter. Winter (sub ~0C) reduces the number by around 1%, which is later (mostly) reclaimed in the spring/early summer. I have observed this effect through 3 winters, so temperature definitely affects how the BMS calculates range, although ever so slightly.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
Tesla do seem to take a very different approach from other EV's. I'm not sure if there is a clear winner.

My Renault (Zoe - 40kwh 2017) shows around 4.7 miles per kwh in summer and 2.7 mpkwh in winter. If I regen all the way down a long hill, I could gain 5 miles of range. Of course on the way up the same hill, you range drops way quicker. In the Tesla, it shows little gain on the way down, but little extra loss on the way back up. Also, the displayed range on the Zoe absolutely reflects my driving style and other energy use. That way your driving style and other equipment use is reflected in the car's estimate of your range which works for shorter drives over similar routes. If there is something out of the ordinary about a journey, the range display could be well off.

Over-all the Tesla approach seems to give a decent estimate especially using the trip energy display on longer drives.

It does strike me that if Tesla require battery heating / cooling as part of normal vehicle use, that energy at least should be taken into account which it could be on an averaged basis using testing data.

• Helpful
It’s easy enough to the get the kWh used and a lot more data with ScanmyTesla Or TM-SPY
Except that Tesla (or even arbitrator) will not accept that data when you try to argue about battery capacity (or lack of)

Given that the formula to figure out the battery capacity is outlined in Post#1 I wonder if there is an app that provides that information without using cables.

Except that Tesla (or even arbitrator) will not accept that data when you try to argue about battery capacity (or lack of)

Given that the formula to figure out the battery capacity is outlined in Post#1 I wonder if there is an app that provides that information without using cables.

Using the formula in Post#1, you can build your own google sheet and access it on your phone as an app replacement. It works very well.

IMO it likely wouldn't matter at all based on current range calculation. Inaccessible energy with one brick hitting Vmax on charge and Vmin when driving and a particular car likely to never deliver range based on theoretical efficiency figure (which potentially could be way off) and total energy in battery including inaccessible charge.

I don't think the displayed range is very helpful period unless you drive to the EPA test spec.

Last edited:
IMO it likely wouldn't matter at all based on current range calculation. Inaccessible energy with on brick hitting Vmax on charge and Vmin when driving and a particular car likely to never deliver range based on theoretical efficiency figure (which potentially could be way off) and total energy in battery including inaccessible charge.

But, you agree that the Total (or the Usable) kWh capacity is what counts?

PS -
The "Total" being kWh your pack currently has
The Usable being Total minus 4

Guys, when i saw Guillaume's TeslaFi scan, i got shocked. This battery imho does definitely not qualify for an increase of EoCV. Don't know what Tesla is doing there.

The amount of parasitic waste heat is definitely proving massive Li-plating and charging to 100% (~4,14V) may result in rapid cathode degradation.
The same for safety. I would not recommend anyone who's suffering from draingate too to charge to such high SoCs (best to stay <=4,06), even if you start your travel right after the charge.

Last edited:
But, you agree that the Total (or the Usable) kWh capacity is what counts?

PS -
The "Total" being kWh your pack currently has
The Usable being Total minus 4

That's how I understand the figure is arrived at. So all the fuss about (new) cars getting extra range is just changing the efficiency figure or the pack capacity. Given both of these seemingly absolute values are apparently far more Tesla Subjective, it is meaningless. Even more so with high parasitic heating plus vigorous external cooling and heating.

When you are used to a displayed range that actually tracks the car's real performance taking 'realities' into account, it feels strange working the Tesla way.

Last edited:
Guys, when i saw Guillaume's TeslaFi scan, i got shocked. This battery imho does definitely not qualify for an increase of EoCV. Don't know what Tesla is doing there.

The amount of parasitic waste heat is definitely proving massive Li-plating and charging to 100% (~4,14V) may result in rapid cathode degradation.
The same for safety. I would not recommend anyone who's suffering from draingate too to charge to such high SoCs (best to stay <=4,06), even if you start your travel right after the charge.

Great advice on not charging the capped packs to high SoC. Those pumps run for a reason. They seem to act as panic buttons.

Reactions: gmo43

Did you calculate a rough parasitic dissipation?

In your opinion is there any kind of predictable 'healing' process that can smooth the plating and reduce risk of Dendrites? Maintain certain temperature range, current pulses?

Do capped cars also have limited regen level or different temperature settings before full regen is allowed?

Last edited:
  • Helpful
View attachment 578080
Yes, I took SMT values from draingate affected users in german TFF in order to calculate the coarse waste heat combined for anode and cathode.
The result was shocking. Even if you consider best case conditions at the anode, there remains a lot of waste heat which must result from cathode.

What about my previous post at lower SoC:

Vampire losses are out of control. For various reasons I don’t travel as I once did, leaving the car parked, but look at this:

20a473d8-4d92-4650-bc15-fad805bd8190-png.578080

Wow, haven’t looked this thread up in a couple of months and it’s another 150 pages on!
My 2016 S70D went down to 57KWh last May (Just after I bought it) after the initial battery limitation update, and a few months later went up 59KWh, where it has been sitting solidly until the most recent update. Apart from the car now being fluent in Portugese the update also contained the usual bug fixes. To my surprise my battery capacity has gone up to 62KWh and typical range went from 313km to 327km. Nice to be out of the 50‘s!
I hadn’t expected that and I‘m within striking distance of where the car was pre battery gate, yay!

That said, supercharging is glacial, Tesla in Australia are utterly hopeless with communication (and I mean completely and mindboggingly useless ) and I‘ve had enough trouble with the car in the last 8 months to warrant Torching the thing. What other car do you know that has the front axle drag links fail at 70,000 miles and three out of five locks fail??
Still love it though, might be Stockholm Syndrome...

Wow, haven’t looked this thread up in a couple of months and it’s another 150 pages on!
My 2016 S70D went down to 57KWh last May (Just after I bought it) after the initial battery limitation update, and a few months later went up 59KWh, where it has been sitting solidly until the most recent update. Apart from the car now being fluent in Portugese the update also contained the usual bug fixes. To my surprise my battery capacity has gone up to 62KWh and typical range went from 313km to 327km. Nice to be out of the 50‘s!
I hadn’t expected that and I‘m within striking distance of where the car was pre battery gate, yay!

That said, supercharging is glacial, Tesla in Australia are utterly hopeless with communication (and I mean completely and mindboggingly useless ) and I‘ve had enough trouble with the car in the last 8 months to warrant Torching the thing. What other car do you know that has the front axle drag links fail at 70,000 miles and three out of five locks fail??
Still love it though, might be Stockholm Syndrome...

Thanks for coming back. So, you went from 57 to 62 kWh. That's 5 kWh. At ~3 miles per kWh your gain should be 15 miles or 24 km, not 14 (327-313).

Am I missing something here?