Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suddenly there is rear heated seat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I got the car back in December 2019, I knew there was no rear heated seat as I did not see anything on the tablet nor my cell phone app.
Last week when I was playing around the app and checking things up, I found this "upgrade" option of rear heated seat at the price of $300.00.

Oh come on, why not tell me when I first purchased it?
It is not big of an amount but it certainly could be added on the purchase agreement.
Now, another $300 out of the pocket..

I wonder if my basic model 3 battery actually does have the 320 miles capacity, but just need to purchase the "upgrade".

• Funny
Reactions: youngmcdonald
Oh come on, why not tell me when I first purchased it?

They didn't tell you about it when you purchased the car because paid upgrades weren't available yet.

It is not big of an amount but it certainly could be added on the purchase agreement.
No because paid upgrades weren't available at that time.

Now, another $300 out of the pocket..
Only if you buy it. Nobody is forcing you to spend more money.

I wonder if my basic model 3 battery actually does have the 320 miles capacity, but just need to purchase the "upgrade".
It does not have a long range battery and you cannot pay to unlock more capacity.

They didn't tell you about it when you purchased the car because paid upgrades weren't available yet.

No because paid upgrades weren't available at that time.

Only if you buy it. Nobody is forcing you to spend more money.

It does not have a long range battery and you cannot pay to unlock more capacity.

So, that means, all hardware were there, just the software did not have the "upgrade" function.

When you bought your car, you knew you weren’t going to get rear heated seats, but now you have the opportunity to get them. Whats so frustrating?
Just to add we AWD owners are offered a $2000 software upgrade to lower the 0-60 by 0.5 seconds and we happily bought it.

IMG_3355.jpeg
IMG_3254.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
An even weirder situation is very early Model 3 buyers with the premium interior (and thus explicitly promised heated rear seats) had no way to turn them on in the UI.

It wasn't till over 8 months from the first Model 3 delivery they pushed an OTA update to let you turn them on.

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
An even weirder situation is very early Model 3 buyers with the premium interior (and thus explicitly promised heated rear seats) had no way to turn them on in the UI.

It wasn't till over 8 months from the first Model 3 delivery they pushed an OTA update to let you turn them on.

Pretty sure that day was the ONLY time I ever turn the rear seat heater on. Did it just to see if they work. Hack I don't even use the ones in the front LOL.

It is not anything about frustration.
If I was told there's an option, I probably would add that and it is a few extra bucks a month.
Now if I want it, it is $300 straight.
It was NOT and is NOT an option to be told about. It is an upgrade offered post sell. Just like if you want Premium Connectivity you have to buy that AFTER you have bought the car.

EDIT: Just to add you bought your car BEFORE it was even offered so you have no right to complain that you were not told.

Last edited:
Reactions: coconutboy84

You can pay for an upgrade to get the range of the SR+, which is ~20 more miles. It's the same battery, but is a software limitation. At least, according to my Tesla Associate who helped me purchase a basic model 3 over the weekend. You would not be able to get the LR range, as it is a different battery.

You can pay for an upgrade to get the range of the SR+, which is ~20 more miles. It's the same battery, but is a software limitation. At least, according to my Tesla Associate who helped me purchase a basic model 3 over the weekend. You would not be able to get the LR range, as it is a different battery.
I’m just curious if we can buy just the battery unlock.

• Disagree
Reactions: anon125110
Nope. You can buy unlocking an SR to be an SR+, which includes a battery unlock though.
Unfortunate as that may be a worthy upgrade for some who don’t want the bAP features especially as the battery degrades over time. I’m just content that used values are where they are as it seems just buying another new unit may be more cost effective.

• Disagree
Reactions: anon125110

Remember the arguments about if the heater elements were even included in the rear seats?

Reactions: Big Earl
Remember the arguments about if the heater elements were even included in the rear seats?

Yup- and then a shop actually checked (I think they were redoing someones interior or something) and it was there...

Which made it even weirder to have the actual Tesla employee giving me a test drive in Raleigh a couple weeks later insisting the hardware wasn't there and suggesting not to order yet if that was important to me... was my first confirmation Tesla salespeople are at least as badly informed about their own products as legacy car dealers tend to be.