Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggested User Interface Change - Climate Control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NOLA_Mike

May 11, 2013
Colorado
My suggestion to improve the climate control interface - add the heated steering wheel and heated front windshield controls as shown below (red arrows) so they are easily accessible without having to drill down into submenus:

Tesla Climate Control.jpg

There is room and I think the added function would far out weigh any perceived additional clutter.

What do you guys think?

Mike

My suggestion to improve the climate control interface - add the heated steering wheel and heated front windshield controls as shown below (red arrows) so they are easily accessible without having to drill down into submenus:

View attachment 273105

There is room and I think the added function would far out weigh any perceived additional clutter.

What do you guys think?

Mike
Easy to do, and it would be a great improvement. I have yet to use the heated wipers, but use the heated wheel nearly every drive this time of year and digging into the menus to turn in this feature is more complex than it needs to be, especially comparing it to the on/off button on the steering wheel of the BMW X5 I came from, and probably must other cars with this feature I would assume.

Easy to do, and it would be a great improvement. I have yet to use the heated wipers, but use the heated wheel nearly every drive this time of year and digging into the menus to turn in this feature is more complex than it needs to be, especially comparing it to the on/off button on the steering wheel of the BMW X5 I came from, and probably must other cars with this feature I would assume.

Yes - to be honest, I don't really care about the heated wiper area being there but put it there to maintain symmetry on the interface. Like you, I use the heated steering wheel regularly in winter.

Mike

Now that's a busy UI :)

Speaking of UI, you know what would be REALLY nice? Disable the auto-hide "feature" for the icon bar at the top of the main screen...that really was a bad idea since it takes twice as many taps to get things done.
This is one of the reasons I delayed updating my car until less than a month ago. (Was still on a 7.1 version, too many media issues came up though.)
The other is that the apps don't place themselves on the top half of the screen every time anymore.

However, since my preference is map bottom/radio top; I can tell you that if the map is not occupying the top half, the app icons don't hide!

The proposed layout works for me. Alternatively, the new icons could show on the pop-up when clicking on the Auto button.

BTW, I totally forgot about the heated wipers as I haven't ever needed to use them before today. I wish I would've seen this thread before my drive to work this morning!

forget all the little icons.. with this screen space ...why not just pop-up an image of the car as viewed from above, like the App climate page... with all features that can be heated touchable areas. Touch that area of the car... to heat / cool, toggle them on/off

maybe where the word "climate on/off" symbol now shows, put a new word, "Comfort" when you touch it, the car image slides up from the bottom edge of the screen and stays there for a short while... If you don't interact it times-out and slides back down to hide

For heated seats, when you cycle them ... the hotter the setting the more intense the red color, you could also layer over the number 1, 2, or 3. For binary controls, (mirrors) they just toggle on / off with red.. like they do now.

two vertical sliders / spinners showing on the car, just to the left, and right of the center console... slide / spin these up / down for HVAC blown temperature, for each zone

a symbol on the hood (cowl area) to show recirculated or fresh intake, with an "auto" above it

a symbol on the hood to show A/C, with an "auto" above it

one slider across the dash left to right, slide more to the right for more fan speed (with an "auto" above it)

a hide button, if you're impatient and can't wait for the auto-hide

Done...

Not quite! voice control.

Each area is named so you can voice command, instead of a touch to change the setting.

When you voice it, the car pops up to show / confirm your setting... then slides back down.

Last edited:
Reactions: rdstr
I had no idea! I am a map on top/radio at the bottom type-of-guy but will have to give this a try. Thanks for sharing.

I tried and confirmed that I am very much a map at the top kind of guy...I have to look way too far down for my taste....bummer. You have to wonder why the hide/show logic is different depending on what app is where. Another Tesla-only "feature" :)

I tried and confirmed that I am very much a map at the top kind of guy...I have to look way too far down for my taste....bummer. You have to wonder why the hide/show logic is different depending on what app is where. Another Tesla-only "feature" :)
I guess the idea is the map can be larger. I don't think any other apps can occupy that top space.
Also it only auto-hides while you are driving; not when you're parked learning how the new interface behaves. Really poor.
Definitely it should behave while driving the same as when parked: touch the map to toggle hidden icons; no auto-hide.
Sorry for continuing off topic, just too disappointed in too many of the changes.

If I had heated steering wheel, I'd want a single control just like the OP showed.
Voice commands would be OK, but prefer an always-displayed control like defrosters and seat heaters.
Better yet, enable all this on the phone app. I would LOVE to have my seats warm before I sit, and wheel would be so nice too.