Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggested User Interface Change - Climate Control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where I live the heated steering wheel and wipers are not needed, so I don't need these buttons. Maybe add a menu with checkboxes in settings to enable which climate-related controls to show on the main screen (similar to Trips settings page).

I really would like to see AC status on the main screen, not in popup. Just move green "Climate" button little to the left, and add AC(snowflake) button next to "Climate". Make it behave same as "Climate" - white color means AC off, blue = AC on, touch to toggle.

Ooooh.... really?! I probably sent that tweet at least 20 times. My reason is that my S P90DL here in Arizona just doesn't cool down for about 10 minutes when it's 80-100 degrees out, and 30-45 minutes when it's 100-125 degrees outside, and when you're just driving 10 minutes home and you just barely start getting cool when you pull into your parking spot isn't acceptable. I'm so happy to hear this! Now, on to the massaging seats!

Have you seen that by default the rear vents on the Model 3 don't turn on unless there is someone in the back seat?

My suggestion to improve the climate control interface - add the heated steering wheel and heated front windshield controls as shown below (red arrows) so they are easily accessible without having to drill down into submenus:

View attachment 273105

There is room and I think the added function would far out weigh any perceived additional clutter.

What do you guys think?

My suggestion to improve the climate control interface - add the heated steering wheel and heated front windshield controls as shown below (red arrows) so they are easily accessible without having to drill down into submenus:

View attachment 273105

There is room and I think the added function would far out weigh any perceived additional clutter.

What do you guys think?

Mike

Along with other suggested changes - regarding Climate Control on Tesla smartphone apps, make it possible and easy to turn Range Mode “Off“ when you are preheating car so that battery will also heat up. Then have reminder on screen in car and on apps that Range Mode is “Off” and ability to turn it back “On” either from app or from Control screen as we presently do.

Why do they come on based on an outside temperature, they are inside, should be based on the cabin temperature. :)
Well, honestly, it works pretty well. I think it comes on based on outside temp because that does influence the temp inside the car, especially if parked outside. And if you are coming into the car from the cold, its a nice way to get your hands and butt warmed up without fidgeting with the controls like I have to do on my Tesla. :)

Easy to do, and it would be a great improvement. I have yet to use the heated wipers, but use the heated wheel nearly every drive this time of year and digging into the menus to turn in this feature is more complex than it needs to be, especially comparing it to the on/off button on the steering wheel of the BMW X5 I came from, and probably must other cars with this feature I would assume.

I guess the idea is the map can be larger. I don't think any other apps can occupy that top space.
Also it only auto-hides while you are driving; not when you're parked learning how the new interface behaves. Really poor.
Definitely it should behave while driving the same as when parked: touch the map to toggle hidden icons; no auto-hide.
Sorry for continuing off topic, just too disappointed in too many of the changes.

If I had heated steering wheel, I'd want a single control just like the OP showed.
Voice commands would be OK, but prefer an always-displayed control like defrosters and seat heaters.
Better yet, enable all this on the phone app. I would LOVE to have my seats warm before I sit, and wheel would be so nice too.

I agree. An alternative would be to add it to the list of controls available with the lower right steering wheel button, along with "TEMPERATURE" and "BLOWER". Or add heated wheel to the driver profile. That way it can come on immediately, and we just need to change our profile two times per year.

Reactions: NOLA_Mike
My last car had a button for the heated rear window, but it turned on automatically when the outside temperature was below 3C. I had not touched that switch once in 4 years.

This would seem to be easily implementable for the rear and front window heaters.

You could then replace the heated rear window switch with the steering wheel switch as this is more user preference when to turn it on, although the idea of 2 extra switches seems a good one. for people who want the manual control option.

Faster access to the rear seat heaters would be nice. I don't understand why the passenger seat heat is persistent, but not the rear seats or steering wheel heat. Persistence could be an option.

Would be nice if you could explicitly disable the car's heater too like you can do with A/C. Considering what an impact it has on power consumption (and the A/C doesn't) it's goofy they don't let you do this. Yeah I know you could disable the A/C and then turn the temp way down but that's multiple steps.

Reactions: vdiv
Would be nice if you could explicitly disable the car's heater too like you can do with A/C. Considering what an impact it has on power consumption (and the A/C doesn't) it's goofy they don't let you do this. Yeah I know you could disable the A/C and then turn the temp way down but that's multiple steps.
Yeah, one thing I've found annoying in the summer is that I'll start to work and the temperature might be set to 70 (for A/C to cool the car down) from the drive home the night before. I'll start driving to work and get a block away and then feel all nauseous because the car is trying to heat up to 70 when it is like 60 degrees out. I wish we could set a range or something so that I can just set it and forget it.

Yeah, one thing I've found annoying in the summer is that I'll start to work and the temperature might be set to 70 (for A/C to cool the car down) from the drive home the night before. I'll start driving to work and get a block away and then feel all nauseous because the car is trying to heat up to 70 when it is like 60 degrees out. I wish we could set a range or something so that I can just set it and forget it.

Yes - summer seems so long ago but I have had the same issue. The car is dutifully trying to hit exactly a certain temperature target which is not always what I want. In fact most of the time it's absolutely not what I want.

In a car the temperature perception of driver and riders is often more related to the temperature of the air coming out rather than the ambient temperature. It would be great to be able to control that better. Especially since the heater can burn 6 kW of power. You can control the battery heater through range mode off/on but not the cabin heater. Those two items plus the motors are the biggest consumers of power in the vehicle by far.

Craig