TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Summon differences in Canada (is now available)

Discussion in 'Canada' started by mrElbe, Jan 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. steilkurve

steilkurve Member

I think it's tied to the country the car was delivered in. And so even if you take it out of the country, the original features will remain.

I'm still crossing my fingers that summon will be enabled here in Canada. The word 'yet' in the release notes now available online are giving me hope!

2. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Since summon is intended for use on private property only (IIRC) are the regulations even relevant?

3. steilkurve

steilkurve Member

From the newly available MyTesla 7.1 release notes:

Autopark
    Summon (Beta)
    Note: Summon is not yet available in Europe, Canada, Japan, Hong Kong, or Australia due to regulatory restrictions.

4. green1

green1 Active Member

Being that Tesla now assumes all drivers will ignore all directions given to them, they have decided to implement their own arbitrary restrictions on various features instead.

5. beeeerock

beeeerock Active Member

One of my local Tesla friends is in the US with his car... I asked him exactly this question. As far as he can tell, the summon feature didn't magically appear when he crossed the border, so it's likely tied to the delivery location of the car and not a geo-fenced function that would appear when within the US.

6. green1

green1 Active Member

This was confirmed, turns out an owner in New York had a car that thought for some reason it was Canadian, didn't have summon, couldn't turn off the DRL.

7. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

In fairness, Tesla is not alone in this...they are a manufacturer, and all manufacturers should vigorously strive to be viewed as prudent by the courts (in case they are dragged into an action, no matter how absurd).

In short order, Tesla has already seen the extent of "user imprudence" with the autopilot feature. I think they are well justified in their position of temporary restrictions for the "Summon" feature.

It is for the same premise, that the instructions for the operation of your lawnmower tell you not to pick it up (whilst running), and use it to trim your hedge...absurd, yes...but you cannot forecast how a judge will rule.

8. beeeerock

beeeerock Active Member

My WAG is that they wanted something to announce around CES... 'summon' was it... so out the door it went. But it hadn't been approved anywhere other than the US, hence the limited availability.

9. steilkurve

steilkurve Member

I second that.

10. TytanX

TytanX Member

Anyone know what regulation would cover summon? I know the release notes say regulatory restrictions but that is quite vague. I asked a Tesla rep and as usual they knew less about it then I did. I don't see why the highway traffic act would cover it since it's for private property only.

11. tcorrin

tcorrin Member

The answer I was given by a Tesla service rep at the auto show yesterday was that it's tied to Canada's regulations for immobilizers and extra restrictions being required before it could be enabled. This is now complete and summon is being rolled out in canada

12. steilkurve

steilkurve Member

Well that would be good news. As the latest firmware is getting rolled out, has anyone received summon up here in Canada?

13. Nappe

Nappe Member

It is frightening to think about, and you know it will get abused like autopilot has, but generally I buy the Tesla line that parking and backing out if parking spots is safer when the controller is out of the vehicle with a full view of potential obstructions, hazards, pets, etc.

14. Sulako

Sulako Member

I wonder what the extra restrictions will be? I'm excited for summon :)

15. ilikechowfan

ilikechowfan Member

New iOS app update available. Any in Canada try summon using the new app yet? Still waiting for my update.

16. steilkurve

steilkurve Member

To my knowledge, the update enabling Summon in Canada has not been deployed yet.

17. steilkurve

steilkurve Member

I scoured the Firmware Tracker Web App at ev-fw.com and found one Canadian owner with 2.12.126 received last Thursday and a note that says Summon in Canada. There is hope!

18. Peter_M

Peter_M Member

See CANADA Version 7.1 - Page 11 - Summon works in Canada now.

19. steilkurve

steilkurve Member

Away this week with my car sitting in the garage back home but I haven't received the software notification through the app yet. Has anyone not gotten 126 in Canada yet? I know rollouts are progressive but there seemed to have been an uptick in 126 sightings on this board over the last couple of days so I wondered if this is one that gets more of a fast push out.

20. mrElbe

mrElbe Active Member

If you have dual chargers, then they might have stopped the rollout due to charging problems.