Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon differences in Canada (is now available)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it's tied to the country the car was delivered in. And so even if you take it out of the country, the original features will remain.

I'm still crossing my fingers that summon will be enabled here in Canada. The word 'yet' in the release notes now available online are giving me hope!

Has anyone figured out if summon is available to US delivered cars, or to cars that happen to be in the US? If you have a US visitor dropping by (in Canada), can they still use summon, and if you (with a Canadian care) make it down to Florida, can you then use summon while in the US?
One of my local Tesla friends is in the US with his car... I asked him exactly this question. As far as he can tell, the summon feature didn't magically appear when he crossed the border, so it's likely tied to the delivery location of the car and not a geo-fenced function that would appear when within the US.

In fairness, Tesla is not alone in this...they are a manufacturer, and all manufacturers should vigorously strive to be viewed as prudent by the courts (in case they are dragged into an action, no matter how absurd).

In short order, Tesla has already seen the extent of "user imprudence" with the autopilot feature. I think they are well justified in their position of temporary restrictions for the "Summon" feature.

It is for the same premise, that the instructions for the operation of your lawnmower tell you not to pick it up (whilst running), and use it to trim your hedge...absurd, yes...but you cannot forecast how a judge will rule.

Being that Tesla now assumes all drivers will ignore all directions given to them, they have decided to implement their own arbitrary restrictions on various features instead.

Anyone know what regulation would cover summon? I know the release notes say regulatory restrictions but that is quite vague. I asked a Tesla rep and as usual they knew less about it then I did. I don't see why the highway traffic act would cover it since it's for private property only.

The answer I was given by a Tesla service rep at the auto show yesterday was that it's tied to Canada's regulations for immobilizers and extra restrictions being required before it could be enabled. This is now complete and summon is being rolled out in canada

The answer I was given by a Tesla service rep at the auto show yesterday was that it's tied to Canada's regulations for immobilizers and extra restrictions being required before it could be enabled. This is now complete and summon is being rolled out in canada

Well that would be good news. As the latest firmware is getting rolled out, has anyone received summon up here in Canada?

To me, auto steer is more dangerous, but at least there is somebody in the car. "There is nobody in the car" is a whole different story. But, yeah, it may nothing to do with regulations.

It is frightening to think about, and you know it will get abused like autopilot has, but generally I buy the Tesla line that parking and backing out if parking spots is safer when the controller is out of the vehicle with a full view of potential obstructions, hazards, pets, etc.

Away this week with my car sitting in the garage back home but I haven't received the software notification through the app yet. Has anyone not gotten 126 in Canada yet? I know rollouts are progressive but there seemed to have been an uptick in 126 sightings on this board over the last couple of days so I wondered if this is one that gets more of a fast push out.