Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon usefulness-less

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Then maybe we should get our money back for "beta" features, because we didn't use "beta" money to pay for them.

I love that idea. I'm going to have this imprinted on all my checks:

NOTICE: This check is being made available in Beta mode. It is your responsibility to determine if there are sufficient funds in my account to cover it. Should there be overdraft charges or threat of criminal prosecution for kiting, you are responsible for paying the fine and/or servicing the sentence.

Thank you for sharing this adventure in payment!

Visited Berkeley recently, friend's apartment parking had walls on either side barely a few inches wider than the side mirrors - after folding! Used summon quite a lot that weekend. Would've been SOL in almost any other car.

Reactions: wesley888
Nice to read a success story. My S, which I had centered on the door opening in preparation for parking, lurched to the left and then stopped within about a half inch of the left door jamb. Nice that it stopped, but so far all this Summon system is giving me is anxiety.

I can certainly see the super-tight space advantage, though. Glad that worked for you @Kreid

Reactions: croman
I forgot something else for which Summon us useful.

When walking out to the car to give someone a test drive, nothing impresses them more than having the car back out of the parking spot as they walk up with you along side them. Of course, don't warn them and hide the fob so they can't see it...

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Summon can't accomplish in a few minutes what I can do in 10 seconds - pull into my driveway. I was really looking forward to this feature and my car meeting me at the curb on the way to work and letting it do the dirty work of opening the garage and parking itself. As of now my car can't even reliably open/close the garage based on GPS position, and I've tried everything. I'm not getting my hopes up for this feature to ever work as advertised.

Summon with auto homelink On tried to damage my car once.

While backing using summon, the car stop prematurely and the car think summon is finished and the active the garage Door to closing it. The car is basically half way out of the garage and the garage sensor can stil go through under car so the garage door is closing. At that time, I grabbed the door to prevent it lowering before I touched the car roof, It was a close call.

After that, I always leave auto homelink off for summon

So then it looks like there are exactly two use cases for Summon in its current form:

1. Impress people with a demo.

2. Get in and out of a space so narrow that the doors can't open enough to let the driver in and out.

I have no special insight into what's going on at Tesla, but my impression is that they're under such pressure to deliver on long-delayed features that they're releasing half-baked, dangerous code.

Summon with auto homelink On tried to damage my car once.

While backing using summon, the car stop prematurely and the car think summon is finished and the active the garage Door to closing it. The car is basically half way out of the garage and the garage sensor can stil go through under car so the garage door is closing. At that time, I grabbed the door to prevent it lowering before I touched the car roof, It was a close call.

After that, I always leave auto homelink off for summon
Totally agree. All it takes is one homelink failure and you might be looking at serious damage

I have a potentially silly question: does Summon require a GPS signal (for either the phone app or the car, or both)?

I can't get a signal (GPS, I have strong WiFi and some cell reception) where my car is parked, and the one time I tried summon the app refused to work saying it couldn't determine the location of the vehicle. I've tried it outside and it worked fine.

Intuitively I didn't expect summon to rely on GPS since it wouldn't be accurate enough to do any actual small-scale navigation, I assume everything is done on sensors? Is it trying to determine if my phone is near my car for security? I thought it would use Bluetooth for that? Either way both the car and the phone know where they are roughly via location serviced (guessed from the WiFi and/or cell network, presumably).

Thanks!

Has anyone used the gear shift lever button double-press method for activating Summon? I tried it as my first attempt, figuring a foot ready to hit the brake was a better fail-safe than the fob or the app. It's supposed to pop something up on the screen asking which direction to move. Absolutely nothing happened. Summon is activated, I know, because I then got out of the car and used the app successfully.
That's the first thing that I did once I got 8.1! :)

As others mentioned, you need to turn off the requirement for holding down a button during summon and it will enable this feature.

Update on Garage Adventure (continued from the AP2 thread):

I solved the Stopping-Before-Completely-Finished problem by increasing the length of Summon from its default 25 feet. Easy-Peasy.

Our Tesla garage is capacious enough that door access is not a problem; moreover, I absolutely concur that as long as on-site charging and using its associated cable is the normal course of events, then, at the very least, door-opening concerns are NOT a factor. My 'cool' quotient is fulfilled by having the car back out while I'm coiling that cable, as also mentioned by another poster.

===>However: for those who for whatever reasons will be making use of door-opening with their Summons, please consider the usually extremely easy step of unmounting and re-positioning higher on the tracks both sides of your sensor beam so that the beam must contact whatever lowermost portion of the car there is. Prior to making that permanent, you would want to determine whether a crawling baby, your cat, pet tarantula or whatever is potentially at risk has been put in danger by such a re-position.<===

you would want to determine whether a crawling baby, your cat, pet tarantula or whatever is potentially at risk has been put in danger by such a re-position

I searched around for recommendations, and it appears most manufacturers specify six to eight inches above the floor - no higher. I don't think moving the sensors to ensure that the Tesla body will interrupt them leaves a safe enough margin for children and pets.

I wonder if there exists a dual height system that would solve both problems.

30,000 garage door injuries every year, according to the CPSC. Though some of these are pinched fingers others are tragedies.

I don't see how this interaction between door and car can be made safe without some highly impractical re-engineering. The fundamental problem is that the control and sensing systems for the car and the door are not integrated. Acting when an event "should have happened by now" is called a race condition in systems design, and it's a very bad thing to rely on when you have a guillotine interacting with a 5,000 pound rolling weight.