Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger — Colorado Springs, CO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, several of us from that area noticed that little detail too. In the today map it appears that the marker is pointing at Colorado Springs. The marker on 2016 appears to be pointing to Pueblo. After seeing all the work they went to, to install the Colorado Springs supercharger, I think it is very unlikely to be closed or moved. Even the TEMPORARY supercharger in Park Meadows Mall (Denver) has not been closed yet. I do think that an additional supercharger MIGHT be constructed in Pueblo someday. Pueblo is a relatively large city.

Crappy Experience at COS supercharger

I hate to complain since I just read this thread and people are (seemingly) pretty happy. But here's a perspective of someone not local to COS:

I have used about 10 SCs around the Rocky Mountain west, and I was not following this thread before this morning. I was going to be passing through COS yesterday and looked on the map, seeing a SC there, which was going to make it easy to reach home (near Boulder CO). I was taking a friend to COS to buy a new car (not a Tesla, of course) at the Subaru dealer in COS. So our morning went like this:

Meet Jacob (salesman) at the Subaru dealership. When test-driving the Subaru, my friend and Jacob followed me 2.2 miles to the SC location on Cascade and Bijou. None of us had been to this SC and we drove around the block (me in the MS and them in Impreza) looking for it. We were on the phone and I was saying, "It will be obvious... there will be white towers with TESLA written on them."

We couldn't find the superchargers. I concluded that the map must be wrong and the SCs must be elsewhere, so we parked in front of the parking garage and got out to walk around. Then Jacob, the salesman, spotted them through the glass windows of the parking garage. Aha! I had never seen a covered SC before!

So now my friends wait while I attempt to enter the garage. I had about 100 miles of range left, so I really wanted to charge; I could maybe make Park Meadows if not, but we had an hour to kill and leaving the MS here and picking it up later would mean I'd have a full charge to get home. So this was perfect. Except...

... I couldn't figure out how to get into the garage. There were 5 different signs: one with the rules, one on a box asking for cash, another saying "Push for Ticket" and another saying "Tesla owners see attendant for refund" (or something like that). Of course, there was no attendant: the booth was empty. It was a Saturday, so I suppose that's why.

I had people waiting for me, so I was trying to quickly get into the garage and start charging. But pushing the button on "Push Button for Ticket" did nothing. The machine was just dead.

Another machine looked to be an intercomm with a button, so I tried pressing that, hoping I could talk to a human and figure out how to get in. But that button also got me nowhere. Just silence from the speaker.

After a few minutes of this, I told my friends to take off: I would have to figure out how to get in, but it wasn't going to be easy. They drove away and I was left at the entrance of this garage on my own.

Next I decided I would just go in through the exit since there was no rollover strip. But then I saw there was a gate-arm there as well, so that wouldn't work.

Then I decided I would just try the cash-accepting machine that was asking for $1, hoping maybe that would work, but I didn't have cash with me less than a $20. The machine did not take credit cards. So I parked the MS outside on the street, and walked around the corner to a small restaurant and got change. Returned back, and voila, a $1 fee opened the gate and I was able to charge.

An hour later I picked up my fully-charged MS and easily made it home (after a 1 hr sit trying to get through Larkspur-area traffic... wow).

----

Had no idea this was a new SC. Next time it will be easier. :)

ozweepay, I'm sorry you had a bad experience. That sounds very frustrating. I'll admit the parking garage can be a bit confusing—as is the case for many garages—when there is no attendant, although I thought there were signs that indicate you pre-pay $1 for the day on the weekends. I could have sworn Tesla had some instructions on their website for this SC—including the fact that you have to pay to get in and can only have the first hour validated validated until 3PM on weekdays—but if they did, it's gone now. Given that, I think your points are all very valid. (Well, except that the machine only takes cash—I know for a fact it takes credit cards because I used my card there just last weekend. But there are two ticket machines at the gate, an old-style "Press button for ticket" machine and a newer one before that (as you drive in) that accepts credit cards. I'm not sure which one takes cash, since I've only ever used my credit card here. :wink:)

You're right, next time it will be easier.

mscott:

Thanks for the gracious and helpful reply. I must have been too rushed and didn't see the credit card slot on that machine!

On the upside, the charming downtown in COS right adjacent to the SC is a very nice way to spend 30 mins if I am ever passing through in the future!

I charged at the CS supercharger today (Sunday). I only had 12 miles left so I really needed it! The box wouldn't take my credit card or take my dollar bill, and I didn't have enough change. So my husband lifted the gate far enough for me to drive through. I'm willing to pay but it has to be able to take my money!! I wrote down the # and will call them in the morning. Otherwise it was very nice.

• Informative
Reactions: ProphetM
The garage situation at CO springs is problematic. I charged there and while the first hour is supposed to be free they still charged my CC the $1. it isn't worth the bother to challenge the fee but like the comment above, it is a hard location to use, especially at off hours when there is no attendant .

Kort, parking costs $1 during non-business hours for as long as you care to stay. It costs $0.75 per hour during business hours, with the first hour free. Mac
thanks for the response.
what you noted is what is posted on the signage there at the entrance to the garage however it I reported my actual experience which was that the fee was not credited back to the card that I used to pay the fee in order to enter the garage.

If you were charged $1, you must have been there when the lot is unattended (after 3PM? weekdays, and all day on the weekend). There is no credit during those times. The only time you get one hour free is when the attendant is there to waive the fee on exit. Sounds like this "sometimes free" message needs to be communicated better.

I agree, it's not worth the effort. I guess maybe it's me (and some other locals) who've misunderstand the plan here. It may be that at or after 3:00, even though the attendant it present, it's $1 because the attendant leaves in an hour or less so you're stuck paying the non-attendant rate? I don't know, I don't park there very often, and when I do it's almost always on the weekend.

I guess the best advice for those planning on using this charger is to have your credit card ready and expect to pay $1. o_O

I agree, it's not worth the effort. I guess maybe it's me (and some other locals) who've misunderstand the plan here. It may be that at or after 3:00, even though the attendant it present, it's $1 because the attendant leaves in an hour or less so you're stuck paying the non-attendant rate? I don't know, I don't park there very often, and when I do it's almost always on the weekend.

I guess the best advice for those planning on using this charger is to have your credit card ready and expect to pay $1. o_O
the attendant was present when I left and I think that we can agree that the situation there is both unique and unusually complicated. the only other SC that I've used where a fee is taken is Savannah Ga. which is in the airport parking lot, there if you go inside the terminal they will give you a chit that you "pay" with regardless of how long you were charging or time of day.

The two times I've charged there I just paid the $1 and didn't worry about it. It's completely worth it anyway. Not being able to get in at all because the machines won't take your money is definitely a problem. On one of my visits the machine wouldn't take the dollar bills from the guy in front of me. Fortunately the attendant was there and manually let him in after a few minutes watching the guy. It happily took my credit card though.

So I knew I'd be passing through Colorado Springs today, up from New Mexico, land not only of banned Tesla stores and service centers, but no Chipotles in my town. So I was really looking forward to picking up a Chipotle salad while charging. Well, I get to Colorado Springs, nav right to the Chipotle, and it's closed. Turns out they're ALL closed. Something about "Indpendence Day".....

Anyways, so I get the car to the supercharger and what do I find!?

colospr1.jpg
colospr2.jpg

That's my dark blue S, next to the race car Tesla Model S that just the other day set a new EV record for fastest drive up Pikes Peak!

Yesterday I stopped by the Colo Springs Supercharger again and I was surprised to see the race car STILL THERE. Looks like it has not been moved in a week, it's as if it's in storage there, or has been abandoned. Good thing Colo Springs site isn't busy...

I also noticed that little plastic pocket-stickers had been applied to every supercharger "pump", and inside the pockets were business cards promoting the local EV club. Neat idea, but I wonder how people feel about applying anything sticky to the supercharger pumps.... could encourage people to start applying all sorts of stickers to them, no?