Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Alamosa chargers definitely make it possible to cut down on travel time. There are two CCS ChargePoints in Durango, CO. Use the app to start charging after plugging in. The reader on the left side charger did not work with NFC to start but both were working on Saturday night. November 18th, 2023.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!
I am planning to go from CO Springs to Pueblo and deep charge enough to comfortably go over the pass and on to Alamosa. Then, charge deep enough to go to Durango, but will likely CCS charge in Pagosa Springs just for some additional “insurance“ charge, just in case the CCS chargers in Durango are flakey, however the plan is to CCS charge enough in Durango to hit Mesa Verde National Park on Monday! Then, back to Durango for Monday night, and go through Farmington, Gallup, Holbrook, and Payson to Phoenix on Tuesday. (Done most of those segments plenty of times.)
None of these CO segments looked to be much trouble, assuming all charging equipment is operational, but they are new to me. Plus, most of the troublesome weather will be further north, and should be more or less gone by overnight Sunday. I do still show 295 miles rated range, which is great, but I am packed to the gills, so probably close to 300 extra lbs. I think I am averaging about 350 Wh/mi for the last 1000 mi since MN.
Pueblo to Alamosa was pretty easy especially since temps were moderate and the wind was light. Charged to 92% in Pueblo just to be safe. Stayed at the speed limit and arrived in Alamosa at 32%. (2019 Model 3 LR with 295 indicated rated range)
Alamosa (the town) was surprisingly dead; minimal traffic and activity around town. Maybe that is normal there on a Sunday. Saw no other Teslas in or out of town. The lady at the nearby visitor center didn’t think the supercharger was even open yet since she had never seen a Tesla there yet. Charged to 92% again, just to be safe.
The short stretch from Alamosa to South Fork was easy, but the Wolf Creek pass was more “exciting”. The snow started to fall really hard, but luckily the highway had been plowed and salted/sanded well, so the driving wasn’t too bad. But, I would not even consider driving through that pass in a real snow storm!
Oddly enough, when we got to Pagosa Springs (just 24 miles later) the weather was sunny and beautiful! So, we plugged into one of the ChargePoint CCS chargers (just because we could) and walked along the San Juan River and watched the people enjoying the hot springs. Cool town! We added 20% while site seeing. Weirdly, there were 2 Teslas plugged into the Level 2 chargers and just sitting in their cars. (A Model Y and a newer Model S; maybe neither was CCS enabled?)
The final stretch to Durango was easy with just some light rain. Arrived at 58%. Both CCS chargers in Durango (transit center) were working fine. The drive over to (and into) Mesa Verde NP, and back to Durango, the next day only used about 52% charge, but temps did get to 50 degrees and winds were mild.

Overall, we were lucky that the storm system stayed mostly north so that only the area over about 9,000 ft. saw real snowfall for us. And that winds were not too crazy that day.
I never noticed any non-Teslas the entire day (except in Pueblo and Durango), which surprised me a little.
Definitely a good idea to deep charge in Pueblo and Alamosa for those mountainous segments, especially in winter!

Thanks to both Ookami and Deep Blue for your recent trip reports. We live in Salia and heading to Tucson in a few weeks. Yes it can be a bit much without a top off in Alamosa. The new SC is a big help. If the weather holds will route via Durango on the way back. The tip on trying the Chargepoint app if the NFC doesn’t work, is most helpful. And good to know about the CCS chargers in Pagosa. And yes Wolfe Crk pass in snow, not fu .

BTW, we have overnighted in Socorro using the SC there and eaten excellent meals at the Bodega Burger, from mussels to great wine, who knew.

Driving model LR MY for a year after 4 years of a LR M3.

Weirdly, there were 2 Teslas plugged into the Level 2 chargers and just sitting in their cars. (A Model Y and a newer Model S; maybe neither was CCS enabled?)

I think the vast majority of Tesla owners don't buy a CCS adapter (I'm not even sure very many know it exists, the people hanging on on Tesla forums are not the mainstream, lol). Tesla actually just raised the price back up to $250 (meh). Glad I snagged a like-new one on eBay for ~$70!

Tesla actually just raised the price back up to $250 (meh).

I think so, but their page sure is confusing

Screenshot 2023-11-23 at 10.20.41 AM.png

I think if you live where charging stations are not frequent, you get a number of adapters/converters. As an example, my BIL lives in Nebraska. He farms, and to get a sense of remote, he is six miles down a dirt road from a town of 350, 50 miles from a traffic light or Walmart.

So we purchased a plug converter that works on the outlet where he does his welding in the barn. The Tesla looks like a toy next to his very large tractors.

Just saying, we are ‘adaptable’.

Reactions: SageBrush
Pueblo to Alamosa was pretty easy especially since temps were moderate and the wind was light. Charged to 92% in Pueblo just to be safe. Stayed at the speed limit and arrived in Alamosa at 32%. (2019 Model 3 LR with 295 indicated rated range)
Alamosa (the town) was surprisingly dead; minimal traffic and activity around town. Maybe that is normal there on a Sunday. Saw no other Teslas in or out of town. The lady at the nearby visitor center didn’t think the supercharger was even open yet since she had never seen a Tesla there yet. Charged to 92% again, just to be safe.
The short stretch from Alamosa to South Fork was easy, but the Wolf Creek pass was more “exciting”. The snow started to fall really hard, but luckily the highway had been plowed and salted/sanded well, so the driving wasn’t too bad. But, I would not even consider driving through that pass in a real snow storm!
Oddly enough, when we got to Pagosa Springs (just 24 miles later) the weather was sunny and beautiful! So, we plugged into one of the ChargePoint CCS chargers (just because we could) and walked along the San Juan River and watched the people enjoying the hot springs. Cool town! We added 20% while site seeing. Weirdly, there were 2 Teslas plugged into the Level 2 chargers and just sitting in their cars. (A Model Y and a newer Model S; maybe neither was CCS enabled?)
The final stretch to Durango was easy with just some light rain. Arrived at 58%. Both CCS chargers in Durango (transit center) were working fine. The drive over to (and into) Mesa Verde NP, and back to Durango, the next day only used about 52% charge, but temps did get to 50 degrees and winds were mild.

Overall, we were lucky that the storm system stayed mostly north so that only the area over about 9,000 ft. saw real snowfall for us. And that winds were not too crazy that day.
I never noticed any non-Teslas the entire day (except in Pueblo and Durango), which surprised me a little.
Definitely a good idea to deep charge in Pueblo and Alamosa for those mountainous segments, especially in winter!
This is very useful detailed information. Thanks!

AFAIK the Mesa Verde Lodge has a couple of Tesla destination chargers. I assume for guests only.

So we purchased a plug converter that works on the outlet where he does his welding in the barn. The Tesla looks like a toy next to his very large tractors.

Of course people install / setup home charging (in various ways). That's where most Teslas do most of the their charging. I'm speculating that the majority of Tesla owners consider the Supercharger network to be good enough and don't bother even getting adapters for third party DC fast charging.

This is very useful detailed information. Thanks!

AFAIK the Mesa Verde Lodge has a couple of Tesla destination chargers. I assume for guests only.
Yeah, I saw that the Far View Lodge had a destination charger, for lodge customers, but the lodge is closed for the season so I did not expect that to be available. (Nor did I want to waste time charging since the park has limited hours this time of year).

It depends on the part of the country you travel. We travel long distances through some areas that are quite sparse for chargers, so we carry all the adapters just in case. And we do quite a few long distance road trips in our Tesla.
Yes, having options is key. $250 for Teslas CCS adapter is objectively too much $$, but when you need it, it is priceless! We really should have the RV adapter too (for our UMC).
There are still areas in CO and UT that we will not take the Tesla, just for convenience reasons because we don’t want to spend time top charging, or hoping a 5% arrival will be OK, or getting burned by a detour or major accident.
I really hope 1 more year of the continued supercharger build-out will address these limitations. (Like Alamosa, for example) Or, hopefully it will at least make things less stressful for non-adventurous people (and spouses)! :)

Reactions: AudreyHTX1
Yes, having options is key. $250 for Teslas CCS adapter is objectively too much $$, but when you need it, it is priceless! We really should have the RV adapter too (for our UMC).
There are still areas in CO and UT that we will not take the Tesla, just for convenience reasons because we don’t want to spend time top charging, or hoping a 5% arrival will be OK, or getting burned by a detour or major accident.
I really hope 1 more year of the continued supercharger build-out will address these limitations. (Like Alamosa, for example) Or, hopefully it will at least make things less stressful for non-adventurous people (and spouses)! :)
If you are adventurous, I would definitely get the RV plug (NEMA 14-50). I was just at Monument Valley (last night) and parked my car at the RV campground nearby for the night using the NEMA 14-50. Priceless!!! I've used it a bunch of times, including a tour of state parks in Louisiana.

You could maybe do without it in both places, but it sure makes things much easier. Also adds the ability to take easy day trips and not worry about leaving enough in the tank to get to the supercharger.

If you are adventurous, I would definitely get the RV plug (NEMA 14-50). I was just at Monument Valley (last night) and parked my car at the RV campground nearby for the night using the NEMA 14-50. Priceless!!! I've used it a bunch of times, including a tour of state parks in Louisiana.

You could maybe do without it in both places, but it sure makes things much easier. Also adds the ability to take easy day trips and not worry about leaving enough in the tank to get to the supercharger.
I have the 14-50, but I often see the other RV connector, I think it is the TT-30R.
I assume this happens at sites that don’t want to run the higher amp 14-50.

I have the 14-50, but I often see the other RV connector, I think it is the TT-30R.
Some RVs just use 30A connector so RV pedestals often have both. Sometimes only the lower amp connection is provided. Everyone carries adapters to go either way. Sound familiar?

We got the 30 amp piece for the mobile connector for our kit. We spent many years RVing. In fact we have an RV pedestal at our home, and used that RV 50amp connection for the first 6 months before finally getting our Tesla charger installed. It worked quite well. Oh yeah and we kept our motorhome 50amp extension cord, ha ha. All of that stays in the frunk.

Last edited:
EVSEadapters.com sells a TT-30 adapter that fits a gen 2 Mobile Connector and limits current to 24 amps. Downside of TT-30 is that at 120 volts and 24 amps, it is only 2.88 kW, or just twice as fast as a 5-15 wall outlet. Nevertheless, one can get useful charge overnight. (TT stands for "Travel Trailer.") I've charged many times on TT-30 RV pedestals.

We stopped here for the first time on Nov 21st southbound and we’re able to skip Poncha Springs with this location being almost exactly halfway between our place in Colorado and Albuquerque. It might have been the only stop but we had a cold overnight in Santa Fe so thought we’d better get a bumper charge in SF. In summer a one stop journey would be doable. Note that the bathroom is in the bank. Kinda weird asking the folks there about using the facilities but they were accommodating. Not sure what options there are after hours.

FWIW, Walmart sells a couple different TT-30 to Nema 14-50 RV adapters very inexpensive. You must manually reduce your charge rate to 24 amps MAX because the Nema 14-50 UMC adapters automatically sets to 32 AMPS View attachment 994509
View attachment 994510
Caution: My understanding is that TT-30p to 14-50r RV adapters are wired incorrectly for Tesla and EV use. Tesla does not use the neutral wire/blade at all in a 14-50 plug, for example, just the two hots and the ground.

When buying a TT-30p to 14-50r adapter, be sure that it is labelled for Tesla use. Even better, for the large majority who have the Gen 2 Mobile Connector, just buy the proper adapter from EVSEadapters.com:

Yes, it is a bit pricey but it has the 24 amp current limitation built in and the temperature sensor in the plug for safety, just like all the other Tesla Gen 2 MC adapters.

FWIW.