Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This one was a long time coming. First post in this thread was 6 years ago (and it was originally on the Find Us map for completion in 2017):
I contacted the city of Alamosa concerning the planned Supercharger. They said that there was talk of a Supercharger about a year ago but so far no plans have been submitted and no permits have been issued. It looks like this one might slip to 2018.

2023!!! 🥂🥂

SWEET! I love it when a plan comes together!
(Now, if we can get a supercharger in Durango next year, that would make this area a lot easier, and less stressful, to visit and pass through.)
The supercharger voting is up for this quarter. You can vote for Durango.

Reactions: 85Drew
Yeah, I always vote the first day voting opens each quarter. I have been voting for Durango ever since Tesla started the process. Looks like it is finally starting to get some traction. But, next week I am going to have to use CCS there. :(
I am also (usually pushing for Show Low AZ, Prescott AZ, Kayenta AZ, and Seligman AZ!

Reactions: AudreyHTX1
Yeah, I always vote the first day voting opens each quarter. I have been voting for Durango ever since Tesla started the process. Looks like it is finally starting to get some traction. But, next week I am going to have to use CCS there. :(
I am also (usually pushing for Show Low AZ, Prescott AZ, Kayenta AZ, and Seligman AZ!
Yeah, Durango is over due. I’d love to see Show Low and Prescott or Prescott Valley. However, I’m keeping my votes local to Northern WI and MN areas where coverage is almost non-existent.

I am headed from CO Springs to Alamosa to Durango tomorrow. Is the stretch from Pueblo to Alamosa over the La Veta pass area any range concern?
Any other issues with this whole route? Or cool things to see? :) (My first time going through this area… Thanks Tesla for the new supercharger!)

• Helpful
Reactions: TexasDuke
I am headed from CO Springs to Alamosa to Durango tomorrow. Is the stretch from Pueblo to Alamosa over the La Veta pass area any range concern?
Any other issues with this whole route? Or cool things to see? :) (My first time going through this area… Thanks Tesla for the new supercharger!)
Pueblo to Alamosa was zero issue at all. I’m guessing there is some 3rd party charger in/near Durango though?

If if doubt, you can drive to Alamosa via the Salida Supercharger
For the Alamosa to Durango leg, Pagosa springs has a low-ish DC fast charger if you have a CCS connector. Same for Durango by the way.

I don't think you need worry about **requiring** intermediate stops unless the weather is nasty but I personally prefer more short stops where I can stretch my legs and enjoy fast charging with a low-ish SOC

Last edited:
Alamosa to Durango is only 149 not that much altitude change, I drive an S so not real sure about your 3 battery. But I can't image it's a problem, just keep your speed down, . The Hilton in Durango is pretty friendly walk in with a $10 bill and ask nicely for use of Destination charger. Then go find a meal.

• Helpful
Your timing is a bit unfortunate since rain/snow is expected across much of the southern Colorado mountains tomorrow. However, the forecast is for showers, as opposed to anything significant.

So far as range is concerned, don't worry about it. Slow speeds on the highway plus thin air at altitude usually mean better mileage that EPA rated. Assuming that you aren't dealing with rain, headwinds, or snow. Charge to a buffer of at least 20% in Alamosa and you should be fine.

The best way to check road conditions is to visit the map at COtrip Traveler Information This is my go-to tool for planning a trip over the mountains and US 160 over Wolf Creek Pass is real mountains. "View the map," then turn on cameras and select road conditions. For example, the stretch of US 160 between Pagosa Springs and Durango is showing wet and rain (purple road color) as I write this.

Take a look at the cameras before you leave Colorado Springs, and while charging at Alamosa. If you can see the lines on the road and it is midday, the conditions likely aren't icy and you should be fine. If the roads are snowpacked (unlikely tomorrow) be careful; I presume that you have lots of snow driving experience in MN. CDOT is excellent in plowing and sanding highways so, as long as it isn't actually snowing heavily, the roads remain passable. It is way too early in the season to have to worry about avalanches (there are several avalanche sheds on the highway over Wolf Creek Pass, as you will see).

This is the Weather Underground forecast for Pagosa Springs:

Pagosa Springs Weather Underground.jpg

This is the Cotrip.org map for US 160 from Alamosa to Durango at the current time (to give you an idea of what it looks like):

Cotriip for US 160 11-18-23.jpg

Select the Legend to decode road colors. Yellow is dry, purple is wet and rain, light blue is snow, navy blue is icy. You can load the Cotrip.org app on your phone.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Pueblo to Alamosa looks straightforward. A Better Route planner estimates 60% consumption (for a Model 3 LR). There are some nice restaurants and coffee shops in Pueblo to spend time for a pretty deep charge.

I stopped by the Alamosa SC for the first time today. Nice new install. Got a perfect 256kW charging session and there's a bunch of restaurants nearby too.

The Superchargers are literally built around the old Chargepoint L2 charger, it's kind of funny.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!
I am planning to go from CO Springs to Pueblo and deep charge enough to comfortably go over the pass and on to Alamosa. Then, charge deep enough to go to Durango, but will likely CCS charge in Pagosa Springs just for some additional “insurance“ charge, just in case the CCS chargers in Durango are flakey, however the plan is to CCS charge enough in Durango to hit Mesa Verde National Park on Monday! Then, back to Durango for Monday night, and go through Farmington, Gallup, Holbrook, and Payson to Phoenix on Tuesday. (Done most of those segments plenty of times.)
None of these CO segments looked to be much trouble, assuming all charging equipment is operational, but they are new to me. Plus, most of the troublesome weather will be further north, and should be more or less gone by overnight Sunday. I do still show 295 miles rated range, which is great, but I am packed to the gills, so probably close to 300 extra lbs. I think I am averaging about 350 Wh/mi for the last 1000 mi since MN.

Nice! Have fun! I'd expect that to all be a pretty straightforward trip. Plugshare reports 1 (of only 2) CCS fast chargers in Durango is down, FYI, as of a few days ago.

There's enough L2 chargers around and other CCS chargers in that area that it'd be pretty hard to actually get stranded. But seeing 50% of fast chargers in Durango reported down really highlights the infrastructure isn't really very good yet.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!
I am planning to go from CO Springs to Pueblo and deep charge enough to comfortably go over the pass and on to Alamosa. Then, charge deep enough to go to Durango, but will likely CCS charge in Pagosa Springs just for some additional “insurance“ charge, just in case the CCS chargers in Durango are flakey, however the plan is to CCS charge enough in Durango to hit Mesa Verde National Park on Monday! Then, back to Durango for Monday night, and go through Farmington, Gallup, Holbrook, and Payson to Phoenix on Tuesday. (Done most of those segments plenty of times.)
None of these CO segments looked to be much trouble, assuming all charging equipment is operational, but they are new to me. Plus, most of the troublesome weather will be further north, and should be more or less gone by overnight Sunday. I do still show 295 miles rated range, which is great, but I am packed to the gills, so probably close to 300 extra lbs. I think I am averaging about 350 Wh/mi for the last 1000 mi since MN.
I regularly drive from Denver, stopping in Pueblo for some electrons. That gets me all the way to Taos without a problem in my Model 3 LR RWD.