Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Ames, IA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on the filed start date, this location could be under construction. If anyone is able to drive by and confirm with pictures, we'll upgrade it from permit to construction on supercharge.info.
More sifting and finding some nuggets.
1701639916954.png1701640116712.png1701640310004.png

Ames, IA

Host Type: Gas Station
Host: Kwik Star
Along Primary Interstates: I-35
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-30
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

I-35

To: Dows, IA (v2) - 50.3 miles
Diversion: 2.4 miles
To: Albert Lea - Happy Trails Lane, MN (v2) - 120.3 miles

US-30

To: Cedar Rapids, IA - 103.7 miles
Diversion: 0.7 miles
To: Oswego, IL - 285.2 miles

Adds another Iowa V3 on I-35, which is a splitter of the largest gap on US-30, which will reduce the largest gap to 330.4 miles.

Reactions: Kewmpie1
A dig ticket has been filed on behalf of Tesla for placing electric to charging stations. The site is the Quik Star on Isaac Newton near the 30/35 interchange. Couldn’t find a building permit so hopefully someone can check this out in person.
BTW it's Kwik Star. Kwik Trip (Wisconsin) and Quik Trip (Oklahoma) are different companies and this is Kwik Trip. They use the name Kwik Star in some states to differentiate themselves from Quik Trip. There's a Quik Trip across the road from this gas station.

• Informative
Reactions: Mrbrock
Yes! That’s exciting. Just across the street from the Kum & Go I suggested to Tesla for the first round of supercharger voting.

This is the perfect location for a supercharger in Ames. Great access to both highways. Highway 30 is the primary road into town for students and sports events. This site is also far enough away from campus to avoid vandalism issues if VEISHEA ever returns.

I’ll make a lot of use of this location.

Reactions: starman27
This is pretty awesome. It will eliminate the need to stop at Dows most of the time when I need to head to Des Moines.
Coming from another direction I suspect I'll be utilizing this one as well headed your direction. From Omaha, Dows is a stretch in anything but optimal weather conditions. It will be nice to be able to get beyond Des Moines in sub-optimal conditions for me. And headed back it would be the same for as it is for you allowing me to skip Dows if I chose to.
Any chance it would be a V4 or Magic Dock?
Pretty slim on the V4 like @Big Earl said given the photo. And I'd say slim as well on the magic dock as well... They're not all that common on new installs Furthermore, Tesla is having less of an incentive to do it going forward with everyone shifting to NACS. Plus at this location specifically, the Kum & Go across the street already has two CCS stations.

I would think that ones near Clear Lake and Osceola, IA, and Cameron, MO, would be very helpful in filling the longer gaps on I-35 between Minneapolis and Kansas City.
I think Osceola, IA (I-35, US-34, US-69) would be the priority of those, since Bethany, MO is only a 6-stall V2.
But Clear Lake, IA (I-35, US-18) and Cameron, MO (I-35, US-36) would also help V3-ify I-35 as well as improving the West-East travel on US Numbered Highways. Cameron, MO is on the route between Lincoln, NE and Springfield, IL or Indianapolis, IN.

Reactions: kidcymru