Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Ardmore, OK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is my least favorite Supercharger. I just don't trust it won't be ICEd (though personally I've never seen that here), so I filled up and went direct from Denton to OK City (same on return trip).

I didn't have an ICE problem at Salina but can see how that can happen; those spaces are some of the closest to the hotel entrance. Pretty rough if they ICE overnight, there's no way you can locate the owner to move them.

I've been to the Ardmore SC many times and have yet to see even one ICE in an SC stall. My main gripe with it is that if you don't want to eat at Interurban it's a long walk to the next place. I've been to Salina just as many times and it's seldom that there isn't an ICE blocking at least one stall.

Reactions: bollar
2 middle stall are out. Also the Interurban caught fire so it’s closed for now.

Attachments

• 4942C091-9655-4C4B-B1C5-62D1EA86E785.jpeg
    4942C091-9655-4C4B-B1C5-62D1EA86E785.jpeg
    432.6 KB · Views: 85
Two new temporary slots on a pallet added to the Armore SC in the last 48 hrs. Definitely temporqary and a well used cabinet (missing paint) with extra long charging cables. The information is from a Facebook post. I don't personally know the status. As of 1pm Saturday, the app shows only 6 stalls, so they're either not working yet, OR they have taken the place of two existing slots.

Not my photo. It came from a Facebook post. The guy can be seen working on it in the back of the cabinet.

Attachments

• Ardmore SC_n.jpg
    Ardmore SC_n.jpg
    791.2 KB · Views: 49
New photo from this morning shows the new temp setup installed, but blocked off with cones. Surely they wouldn't go to this amount of effort "just" for a Labor Day weekend surge? The original 6 slots are all working so it's not a failure situation.

New photo from this morning shows the new temp setup installed, but blocked off with cones. Surely they wouldn't go to this amount of effort "just" for a Labor Day weekend surge? The original 6 slots are all working so it's not a failure situation.
Sometimes cones are used to prevent ICEing. I've seen cones at Ardmore when the restaurant is busy. Not saying that's the case here, but because it's something new, it could be.

Sometimes cones are used to prevent ICEing. I've seen cones at Ardmore when the restaurant is busy. Not saying that's the case here, but because it's something new, it could be.

Possibly, but I don't think so in this case. Looks like they don't want people thinking they are function yet. They still don't show up in the app as available. Just the original 6.

Attachments

• Ardmore SC_1.jpg
    Ardmore SC_1.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 40

They have added in other locations for identified peaks. Might not just be for Labor Day. Could be there for this year's whole holiday season.

However, temporary chargers usually presage some kind of addition to Superchargers, either expansion, additional location nearby, or a neighboring splitter.

Also, Oklahoma-Texas, is October 8th, for what it's worth.

Reactions: Mark57
Is that in the same parking lot?

Yes, it's the two spaces immediately North of the existing charger spots. They're just tacked onto the end of what's already there. The big gray conduit runs back South to the charger's transformer inside that wood fence.

I didn't take the photos, but the photographer is facing East.
They have added in other locations for identified peaks. Might not just be for Labor Day. Could be there for this year's whole holiday season.

However, temporary chargers usually presage some kind of addition to Superchargers, either expansion, additional location nearby, or a neighboring splitter.

Also, Oklahoma-Texas, is October 8th, for what it's worth.

That's all good. I like where it's headed if any of that comes to past. You make some great points. For the amount of labor involved, it makes sense to leave it there for a while. OKC, Ardmore, and Denton have had free charging during the peak travel holidays for two years now, which has not been the case for other locations within 900 miles. Following that logic, I'd hope they also beef up OKC and Denton or add additional locations to help the I-35 corridor.

We'll be in the Cotton Bowl stadium on 10/8 with all the other screaming crazies. Haven't missed a game in 40 years. Boomer Sooner!

Reactions: TulsaCoker
Yes, it's the two spaces immediately North of the existing charger spots. They're just tacked onto the end of what's already there. The big gray conduit runs back South to the charger's transformer inside that wood fence.

I didn't take the photos, but the photographer is facing East.

That's all good. I like where it's headed if any of that comes to past. You make some great points. For the amount of labor involved, it makes sense to leave it there for a while. OKC, Ardmore, and Denton have had free charging during the peak travel holidays for two years now, which has not been the case for other locations within 900 miles. Following that logic, I'd hope they also beef up OKC and Denton or add additional locations to help the I-35 corridor.

We'll be in the Cotton Bowl stadium on 10/8 with all the other screaming crazies. Haven't missed a game in 40 years. Boomer Sooner!

The OKC Supercharger is a problem. It serves I-40, but is a large diversion from I-35 and I-44. There really should be something else in that area.
There's a Love's and Flying J at exit 137 close to where the I-35/I-44 concurrency ends.

The OKC Supercharger is a problem. It serves I-40, but is a large diversion from I-35 and I-44. There really should be something else in that area.
There's a Love's and Flying J at exit 137 close to where the I-35/I-44 concurrency ends.

Agree... either at the I-35/I-44 junction or south In Norman on I-35... then one east of OKC on I-40

The Corp HQ for Loves is in OKC. They'd be an ideal host for multiple locations and they've very civic minded. I've approached people I know that work at the Corp HQ in the past and it has gone nowhere. No sure why, just dead air. Norman would not be a bad place for an SC to help I-35 and is a good split between Ardmore and Perry. Midwest City near Tinker AFB would be a good spot to shorten the distance to Arkansas on I-40. We have some local people currently wining and dining the mayor of the "forever coming soon" Henryetta, OK area and she's on board, but it takes vision form a local business to sign the lease. Not a lot of "vision" going around in OK these days outside of OKC or Tulsa. I'm a 5th generation Oklahoman so I can say that honestly and a bit sadly.

I also did a presentation to the McAlester, OK city leaders almost two years ago and while they were very interested, no local business would step up.

I keep trying to plant these seeds hoping one will grow.

We have some local people currently wining and dining the mayor of the "forever coming soon" Henryetta, OK area and she's on board, but it takes vision form a local business to sign the lease. Not a lot of "vision" going around in OK these days outside of OKC or Tulsa. I'm a 5th generation Oklahoman so I can say that honestly and a bit sadly.
I did hear the Henryetta SC was supposed to go in at the new QT there but QT back out ... thought QT was more forward thinking company

I charged here 2 weeks ago, and again today. In that interval, these 2temporary chargers have shown up. I was going to describe the whole scene but I see it’s been beaten to death already. Here’s a couple of pix:

3D7A9780-BCCD-463E-ACC7-C60832DC5418.jpeg

This is the longest charge cable I’ve ever seen:

F6A028DD-ECCC-4932-A669-D7A0336FED78.jpeg

I wonder if they’re going to do something with a Tesla semi here. I don’t see them installing chargers with those monster cables for charging cars.