Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Auburn MA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of the SCs I've visited, I think this is my least favorite. It's really, really isolated, and about 300 yards from the mall, even when its open. I feel pretty exposed and vulnerable there.

I'm very glad the Charlton rest areas on the Pike are now getting SCs.
I very much agree with you, this is the only SC I might suggest that Tesla pickup and move to another location. It's not worth upgrading to a V3....
I have been to this location once and I think that I would rather sit at a Chadamo charger than return.

I very much agree with you, this is the only SC I might suggest that Tesla pickup and move to another location. It's not worth upgrading to a V3....
I have been to this location once and I think that I would rather sit at a Chadamo charger than return.
Let's not forget this SC is within walking distance of a memorial to Stoddard (Robert H. Goddard - Wikipedia) and the caboose pizza place isn't bad, no restrooms though IIRC.

no restrooms though IIRC.
One restroom, but if you are over 6' I don't think you can sit and close the door - and you would not want to sit anyway. (Probably TMI)

I am thankful for Auburn. When I got my car I had to stop at Natick mall to charge at 16kW when going to Maine, and was quite disappointed when Auburn was delayed. Incredible how much things have changed in just a few years' time.

I've been to the memorial, and also spent time in the library using the internet when we had to get a full charge there.

goddard.jpg

Last edited:
Have to shower some love on Auburn. I was there last week before the mall opened. I don't know their hours, but the person doing temperature checks at the entrance of the medical building was very helpful with my request to use a very clean restroom.

A few years ago I would seek out a Level 2, then charge sometimes 2-3-4 hours to make CT destinations and return to NH. Probably looking back at the first few 16 pages of this thread would reflect some of the relief expressed for Auburn. Where once there were zero Superchargers on my route, there was always solid faith they would eventually come along. Auburn was just first of the almost dozen other SC options I now have to choose from. In a few years (probably less) the Charlton SC will at times be full or borderline on the approach. A good reason for Auburn to remain open. Even after dark the place isn't as sketchy as some might believe. I've been there late at night and had the bored mall security guy roll down his car window just to chat. Besides, when you're hungry and caboose pizza is the only place open, it'll taste pretty good and the price is cheap.

Reactions: tga
From the site plan - an interesting layout of 7 new stalls to the left of the existing V2's, and the last new V3 stall all the way out to the right of the existing V2's. I wonder what the construction cost is for that trench work is and if it's really worth it.

Assuming the plan presented before the planning board is approved, the Auburn site will likely be offline for a good part of the expansion project as we saw in West Lebanon earlier this year.

1672249193321.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Nikxice and kayak1
This was great when it was the only option. Been a long time since I've been there.
Yeah I was driving back from NYC yesterday and because we started out low, range was looking a bit iffy even after a lunch stop in southern CT. The car suggested Framingham but I was going to stop at Charlton if needed, because it's so much more convenient.

My son asked about Auburn. "We don't talk about Auburn, son..." :oops:

• Funny
Reactions: jlv1 and kayak1
Well, I wouldn't have guessed that Auburn would become the first 16 stall SC in Massachusetts, but I suppose it had to be somewhere. Never stopped there myself. Hopefully this'll lead to other V3 upgrades - I've got my fingers crossed for Lee.

As to that funny extra stall - it looks like they've got to do trenching in that direction for the new transformer anyway, so maybe it just comes more or less for free.

Reactions: kayak1
From the site plan - an interesting layout of 7 new stalls to the left of the existing V2's, and the last new V3 stall all the way out to the right of the existing V2's. I wonder what the construction cost is for that trench work is and if it's really worth it.

Assuming the plan presented before the planning board is approved, the Auburn site will likely be offline for a good part of the expansion project as we saw in West Lebanon earlier this year.

View attachment 889608
Insufficient PB members present to approve at the meeting so it was continued to 1/24. Sounds likely it will be approved then although there was a possible ADA compliance issue with the layout of the proposed handicap spot that might need to be addressed.

The hearing lasted about 10 minutes total:

Reactions: kayak1 and PeterK
Construction is underway! The site is showing 4/8 available and I’ve seen a photo that appears to show some posts taped off meaning the site might be partially offline for the construction.

Expect this site to go complete offline at some point when the transformer work begins. The West Lebanon upgrade had the whole site down for a month.

Construction is underway! The site is showing 4/8 available and I’ve seen a photo that appears to show some posts taped off meaning the site might be partially offline for the construction.

Expect this site to go complete offline at some point when the transformer work begins. The West Lebanon upgrade had the whole site down for a month.
This puts this location in cold weather range for me as my 1st stop on the way from ME to VA.

Otherwise, I'd have to stop in Littleton, since I probably won't get to Charlton-West in the winter.

Reactions: kayak1