Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Auburn MA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm charging there right now! Woot

UMEzhRz.jpg

Listening to StarTalk Radio, as always, to pass the time :)

West Springfield is half way done. I went out that way on Sunday and spoke with the 3 man crew. All the stalls are in, with covers, the poles for signage were in place (no signs) the charging cabinets and the enclosure were in place. They were working on some wiring inside the enclosure. They are also the crew that built the Brattleboro one. They said the typical hold up for these sites is the local utility since they are the ones to deliver and connect the transformers.

Brattleboro is physically done, just waiting on the transformer. Though per someone on the Brattleboro thread, they called Tesla and was told that the site should be live in a few days.

Now they just need to fill in the holes to allow us to make it Montreal.

Actually just had a tesla time while charging, with some guy named Zack. Looked 17. He said this was the first time he'd seen someone charging here, I think he lives nearby. He asked when the site went live and had high praise for the tesla!

Agreed Cottonwood. Even when the Brattleboro is up and running, it won't make the cut. Albany is actually closer to Montreal than Brattleboro. Going North, Tesla will actually have to build a site on the NY side and the VT side, like Burlington. Once you head North from Albany there is a point where you can't simply cross over into VT and vise versa. Unless Tesla build a floating charger in Lake Champlain, as I said they are going to have to build chargers relatively near each other. For NY I figure Plattsburg and as you mentioned Burlington VT.

Agreed Cottonwood. Even when the Brattleboro is up and running, it won't make the cut. Albany is actually closer to Montreal than Brattleboro. Going North, Tesla will actually have to build a site on the NY side and the VT side, like Burlington. Once you head North from Albany there is a point where you can't simply cross over into VT and vise versa. Unless Tesla build a floating charger in Lake Champlain, as I said they are going to have to build chargers relatively near each other. For NY I figure Plattsburg and as you mentioned Burlington VT.
Tesla's 2015 map has red dots on both sides of the lake, as you suggest.

Oh, there is always something to complain about.

How about West Springfield, Salisbury, Brattleboro, Hooksett, South Burlington, and Augusta for the New Englanders? There are 12 states in the 48 without Superchargers and that list knocks off 3 more, for a Supercharger in every New England State!

Maine is a huge state by NE standards and needs more than one!

Reactions: kayak1
I'm torn. On my way to Maine tomorrow. Was planning to stop at West Hartford but do I swap in Auburn instead to stop at a brand new supercharger? I don't need the extra range so it's just a choice. How are the dining selections?

It would be a stretch to call it "dining". Closest are the mall's food court, which is on that end of the mall, just past Macy's, and a pizza restaurant at the end of Swanson Rd, visible from the chargers. Two blocks west on Auburn St, near I-290, is Yong Shing, decent chinese food and shushi. Two blocks south on Southbridge St. is an Outback Steak House. To get to either of the last two, you'll pass a couple other fast food joints not worth mentioning. That's about it. It's not an area known for it's restaurant selection.

Maine is a huge state by NE standards and needs more than one!

Two (Portland and Bangor) will get people to the main destinations, but a 3rd in Belfast or Bucksport would allow travel on Route 1.
Bangor's likely to be the Simon-owned mall, even though it on the wrong side of the city for Downeast travel.
Then if you want to open up Sugarloaf and other recreational areas, plus allow US201 travel to/from Quebec City, you can do Waterville and something over the border in Quebec, or Augusta and Jackman.
Augusta would also allow a cut across on Route 3 as a time v pleasantness compromise. 109 and 112 would provide locations, but not a good walkable group of dining options.
Waterville wouldn't be as flexible for travel, but downtown has lots of walkable options, at least morning to about 9pm.
But that's getting ahead, first it would be great if the proposed Portland site's transformer issue could be resolved.

Last edited:
Reactions: kayak1
I guess this is Teslas way of saying Happy New Year! Now get out there and start charging!

- - - Updated - - -

Two (Portland and Bangor) will get people to the main destinations, but a 3rd in Belfast or Bucksport would allow travel on Route 1.
Bangor's likely to be the Simon-owned mall, even though it on the wrong side of the city for Downeast travel.
Then if you want to open up Sugarloaf and other recreational areas, plus allow US201 travel to/from Quebec City, you can do Waterville and something over the border in Quebec, or Augusta and Jackman.
Augusta would also allow a cut across on Route 3 as a time v pleasantness compromise. 109 and 112 would provide locations, but not a good walkable group of dining options.
Waterville wouldn't be as flexible for travel, but downtown has lots of walkable options, at least morning to about 9pm.
But that's getting ahead, first it would be great if the proposed Portland site's transformer issue could be resolved.

Yes downtown Portland would be ideal, close to highway plenty of walkable shops, restaurants, heck there is even a 5k run around back cove. You could time your run to the charging speed !

Thanks to everybody for driving over, this is great news! It looks like I only missed it by a day or two.
Now there are three sites between 40 and 50 miles of me. Just need something to the north.

Same here. I left southern NH on Saturday morning, so I was 48 hours early. Had to charge up on a 120v plug for a few days just to be sure I had enough range for West Hartford.

Between this and Hooksett, I shouldn't have any trouble the next time we drive up this way :)

Meter now reading 200 kWh, after one day, at least four users.

Here are some photos from the nearby Robert Goddard Park, at the intersection of Auburn and Southbridge (Rt 12), one block away, behind the Auburn Fire Station. You can see the large rocket behind the chargers, across the pond. If you go to the official opening ceremonies, I hope Tesla realizes the Space X connection. Dr. Goddard launched the first liquid fueled rockets from his Aunts farm, not far from here atop Pakachoag hill, the historical markers are on the 9th fairway of the golf course.

rocket 1.JPG
rocket 2.JPG
rocket 3.JPG
rocket 4.JPG

What do you say we hold a little get together at Auburn and put some faces to the names? I don't know that Tesla will be holding any official ribbon cutting or even a rally to the charger. So, let's do one of our own? I attended the Sagamore rally and I asked if they would be doing one for Auburn, but they said they don't hold rallies for all openings. Just ones that are high visibility. I don't even know who to reach to at Tesla to see if they do plan on a Tesla sponsored rally.