Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Augusta ME

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went this evening just to do some more scouting and get some more pictures but for some reason my phone didn't save any of the pictures!
Not that they'd have been great since my phone's a Moto E, but I'm sure you'd have liked to see pictures of the construction that is well underway!

Wonderful news!

There are currently 5 of the 48 contiguous states that don't have a Supercharger Site. That will soon be cut down to 4 with North Dakota, Nebraska, Arkansas, and Mississippi left after Maine.

OK, now you're just starting to sound like a troll. Surely the Walmart has cameras for sale and that would have only been about 6 minutes and 45 seconds of brisk walking? ;-) A photo tomorrow will be worth a thousand redemptions.

OK, now you're just starting to sound like a troll. Surely the Walmart has cameras for sale and that would have only been about 6 minutes and 45 seconds of brisk walking? ;-) A photo tomorrow will be worth a thousand redemptions.

That made me LOL.

I thought about sending a post and adding 1 pic from the parking lot, but then thought, no, it can wait until I get home and I can then send a nicely structured series of posts with photos. So imagine my disappointment when I got home and I had nothing but my memories and a series of ... oh goddamnit wait ... now I know what happened. My phone rebooted, and when that happens sometimes it resets the date and time. I have network time turned off to help reduce battery consumption (cheap phone, cheap battery) and so my phone's date was on September 25th which means that ...

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_20150925_175253358_HDR.jpg

I _did_ have the photos, they were just dated wrong.

That's a nice summary angle of progress.
You can see the 4 Supercharger cabinets in place. I don't think I have an angle showing the distribution center, but it is there.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a (bad) photo showing the transformer slab and the other end of the distribution center frame.

Looks like they've done the conduit run between the distribution center and transformer slab.

IMG_20150925_175448075_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
OK, so I just went to the site this lunchtime.

I was trying to get a particular photo (outside of the construction zone) and one of the construction workers asked me what I was doing, and when I said I was taking pictures to show the construction progress for the Supercharger, he said that although he couldn't stop me, they strongly preferred that I didn't take photos, because it could have repercussions for them.

So, out of respect for other peoples' livelihoods, I'm not going to upload the photos while they're working there, and you'll just have to believe me or come and see for yourself (and have a burger or something). Yeah, it's disappointing to me as well.

I saw a number of pick-ups with decals for a company called TRM on their doors, and those pick-ups had New Hampshire plates. I assume that they're the construction crew. I also saw a pick-up with a fencing company decal parked next to the Supercharger carbinets and distribution cabinets and presumably they were there for that.

Progress looks good on the trench from the new transformer pad to the existing Red Robin transformer, as they were working on the last bit of excavation of pavement across to the Red Robin transformer.

There'll obviously be a light pole for the Supercharger parking, but not sure on the Tesla parking signs, which were planned, but there's no obvious hole made in the pedestals. (Really shouldn't need them. ICEing is really not a likely problem in that location. It's prime subprime parking.)

Separately I could see the gas crews working on a section in the Home Depot lot. At some point I'm sure they'll come back and pave the sidewalk along the road.

So, I'll probably leave it until next Monday, unless my wife lets me take a diversion on (edit) Sunday. (Edit: It's my turn to choose where to eat this weekend. I joked to my wife "Hmm. Maybe we could go to Red Robin.")

Oh, and the plan said that the charger pairs will be back to back, like so:
|1A 2A 3A 4A
|-----------------
|1B 2B 3B 4B

Last edited:
I was trying to get a particular photo (outside of the construction zone) and one of the construction workers asked me what I was doing, and when I said I was taking pictures to show the construction progress for the Supercharger, he said that although he couldn't stop me, they strongly preferred that I didn't take photos, because it could have repercussions for them.
Interesting. When I was doing my (nearly) weekly Hooksett updates, they didn't care if I took photos. One of the guys asked not to have his picture taken, so I made sure no one was recognizable if they were in frame. Thanks for the updates!

The photo thing just became an issue. On another charger thread, the contractor also asked the member not to take pictures. He said that these pictures were being looked at by Tesla for any deficiencies - for example, if the construction area was not tidy and clean. I guess Tesla has a set of rules they want followed during construction, and our pictures can only bring scrutiny upon the contractor. The best thing to do is just to try to go when they have left for the evening.

No, it's in addition. The plan is to have Portland, Augusta and Bangor. Portland was agreed, but fell through just as the technical issues were being resolved, possibly due to overall cost. Originally Tesla just had Portland and Bangor, but added Augusta to their map. Augusta seems the best compromise for coverage and dealing with winter.

For the Portland area I'd assume they're working on a new site. The most natural site would be somewhere at the The Maine Mall in South Portland.

Just had a look at the Tesla Supercharger map, and it has indeed been revised to show only one Supercharger in Maine this year, presumably the one in Augusta. As I recall, it had shown three in Maine in 2015 (which had begun to seem rather unlikely some weeks ago). It shows two others in 2016, so those may be the two you refer to, in Portland area and Bangor.
Not sure when the map was changed as I had not looked at it for a few weeks.

That's Houlton, the end of 95 and the last stop before the Sun Country Highway can get you to Halifax

Many of the markers are off on the recently published map. They probably mean for that to be a bit to the East in Woodstock, NB.
Since connecting locations in Rivière-du-Loup and Bangor have been pushed to 2016, I woudn expect any activity there until 2017.

Many of the markers are off on the recently published map. They probably mean for that to be a bit to the East in Woodstock, NB.
Since connecting locations in Rivière-du-Loup and Bangor have been pushed to 2016, I woudn expect any activity there until 2017.

To be honest, I think that for locations that can get a bit mean in winter, that could be pushing it. Bangor Mall (on the north side of Bangor) to the HoJo at Woodstock would be 128 miles. A Bangor location better for Downeast travel would make it over 130 miles. They might want sites both sides of the border. Eventually.

I thought I read somewhere that Tesla requested less interaction with the public at supercharger construction sites.

The "Fight Club" letter to contractors said don't say anything, let them take pictures but don't let them within the construction site.
However, there's been at least 2 sites where contractors have asked people not to take pictures.

Nothing at the Augusta site has looked bad to me, but that's hardly my area of expertise.

It'll cloudy and raining Sunday when we're passing by, so unless the weather changes I'll not even try to convince my wife that we should divert and take a look. I'll go Monday lunchtime.

The "Fight Club" letter to contractors said don't say anything, let them take pictures but don't let them within the construction site.
However, there's been at least 2 sites where contractors have asked people not to take pictures.

Nothing at the Augusta site has looked bad to me, but that's hardly my area of expertise.

It'll cloudy and raining Sunday when we're passing by, so unless the weather changes I'll not even try to convince my wife that we should divert and take a look. I'll go Monday lunchtime.

Thank you for jogging my memory. Hopefully Monday will show progress.

Great work: 'Money Man':wink:. If I were TM this would be the first Maine SC: State capital, near Dealer's Association home base :biggrin:, and allows travel throughout Maine.

Great work: 'Money Man':wink:. If I were TM this would be the first Maine SC: State capital, near Dealer's Association home base :biggrin:, and allows travel throughout Maine.

Yes. After Seabrook, NH, Augusta, ME really improves the possibilities.

Unless there's some expedition or major delay it should end up being powered on next month. After all the complaining I'm sure lots of people will want to head up here for a December ribbon cutting. ;)