Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Augusta ME

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After all the no-Maine-Supercharger gripes, and with not all trips heading up this way, I was wondering how many people had actually used the Supercharger for travel...

Not sure about people heading up, but I will use it heading down. Last time, this meant L2 in Lac Megantic and CHAdeMO in Portland. Now it will mean a brief CHAdeMO stop at the fine grocery and restaurant Peres Nature in Saint George, then just 151 miles to this Supecharger.

Is it my imagination, or is this SC slower than most? I used it 4 times in the last couple of weeks, and, while starting at 115kW @ 10%, it tapered into the 70kW range by 25%.

I moved to a different pair and the charge rate again started around 115kW but dropped to ~70kW in a few minutes. Temps were in the 70's, so I don't think that was it.

One time I showed up with less than 10%. I needed to stay for almost an hour to get enough to make it to Hooksett (~150 miles).

Can’t say slower than most but that’s typical for what I see
IMG_0897.jpg IMG_0896.jpg

It happened again. Yesterday evening my Model X Supercharged from 6% yo 50% in 30-35 minutes. The power started at just over 100 kW but quickly decreased to almost half that. At this rate if i needed 100% (a rare situation) it would have taken about 90 minutes. I was hoping for more like 15-20 minutes to get to 50%. I’ve sent this into Support to see if its my car or the charger.
B9B3E638-92B4-4B9E-95A4-0391287E3118.jpeg

FYI I’ve seen this same pattern at Seabrook so it is probably the car. Yesterday I charged at both again and surprisingly the 100kW power was maintained for a while and decreased gradually, so now I know the SC can do it. I also notice the loud fan in my Model X did not come on. Ambient temps were cooler but highway driving was otherwise the same. Car just has a service appointment.
Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 9.52.01 AM.png

I received some feedback from ServiceNA with this tidbit “There are few stalls which are not working with 100% health at Augusta, ME supercharger. (stalls 1B, 3A, 4A) ”. I do not recall which ones are A and B but the pull-in stall is a 1.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
I received some feedback from ServiceNA with this tidbit “There are few stalls which are not working with 100% health at Augusta, ME supercharger. (stalls 1B, 3A, 4A) ”. I do not recall which ones are A and B but the pull-in stall is a 1.

It does not speak well of Tesla's engineering (or maybe their procurement) that there are apparently so many supercharger issues. If they are cases in which hardware has not proven reliable or can't withstand the actual operating conditions, the engineers may have chosen an inadequate design, or some third party vendor has not delivered to spec...

The Maine turnpike site states there are Tesla and Chargepoint units at the West Gardiner service plaza.

Apparently, Chargepoint CCS/CHAdeMO is going in there very soon as part of the VW settlement. I am not sure why they say Tesla as well. Perhaps it's the result of a copy and paste from one of the Kennebunk plazas where Superchargers and Chargepoint coexist.

Maine Turnpike Authority - West Gardiner Service Plaza

• Informative
Reactions: chjch and st50maint
West Gardiner rest area wasn’t built when these mall Superchargers went in but IMO that would be a better location. It will probably take the appearance of wait times before T would add another station so close.

The Maine turnpike site states there are Tesla and Chargepoint units at the West Gardiner service plaza.

Apparently, Chargepoint CCS/CHAdeMO is going in there very soon as part of the VW settlement. I am not sure why they say Tesla as well. Perhaps it's the result of a copy and paste from one of the Kennebunk plazas where Superchargers and Chargepoint coexist.

Maine Turnpike Authority - West Gardiner Service Plaza

Look closer. It doesn't say Tesla. :D

Technically they can say “Tesla” but mean that they either will have some L2 J1772 or Chademo support with the adapter. The adapter is already known to work with the ChargePoints they put in Kennebunk already so that makes sense. I have the adapter so this is good for about 50kW in a pinch, but it’s much better to use the mall superchargers and leave the highway units for other EV’s although it’s Maine so I doubt they will be utilized much.