Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Beltsville, MD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lanny

Nov 29, 2011
MD
Online record [LINK] seeking a variance with PG County to install a Tesla electric vehicle charging station at a Wawa store in Beltsville. The information notes a planning board meeting scheduled for February 7, 2019.

Prince George’s County Planning Department Case Number: ROSP-4477-01
Description: INSTALL A TESLA ELECTRIC VEHICLE CHARGING STATION AT AN EXISTING WAWA STATION
Location: BETWEEN BALTIMORE AVE AND RHODE ISLAND AVE, APPROX. 500 FT N OF SUNNYSIDE AVE IN BELTSVILLE WITH A VARIANCE FOR SETBACK

PLANNING BOARD - PENDING - 02/07/2019
BeltsvilleWawaTesla.png

Online record [LINK] seeking a variance with PG County to install a Tesla electric vehicle charging station at a Wawa store in Beltsville. The information notes a planning board meeting scheduled for February 7, 2019.

Description: INSTALL A TESLA ELECTRIC VEHICLE CHARGING STATION AT AN EXISTING WAWA STATION
Location: BETWEEN BALTIMORE AVE AND RHODE ISLAND AVE, APPROX. 500 FT N OF SUNNYSIDE AVE IN BELTSVILLE WITH A VARIANCE FOR SETBACK

View attachment 346873

Great detective work Lanny, thank you!

Have you found any news on Bethesda/Montgomery Mall...seems its been in permit forever.

View attachment 346873
@BlueShift

Sometimes it seems someone at Tesla is TRYING to pick the worst possible locations for Superchargers. This location is a traffic nightmare, that Wawa can get extremely busy and the intersection (HW 1 and Rhode Island) is not for the faint of heart. I'd be willing to bet that whoever made this decision has never actually been to the site.

Why not the Ikea???

Reactions: vdiv
Sometimes it seems someone at Tesla is TRYING to pick the worst possible locations for Superchargers. This location is a traffic nightmare, that Wawa can get extremely busy and the intersection (HW 1 and Rhode Island) is not for the faint of heart. I'd be willing to bet that whoever made this decision has never actually been to the site.

Why not the Ikea???
Because ikea doesn’t partner with Tesla.

Why not the Ikea???
I know old thread but this location has gotten worse. It was bad before but it’s now amazingly busy. It is hard to park, often people waiting for gas. People towing stuff blocking regular movement of traffic. IKEA or nearby has huge amounts of space.

There's construction going on in the parking lot at this location. They've put up fencing all around it the section that seemed the most likely for the location of the Tesla Superchargers and they have done some light digging. It sure looks like they are installing some kind of EV chargers. But the Tesla permit is still stalled/pending in the county system from what I can tell. I'm curious if anyone knows of any developments on this location?

Thanks @Darth Ed

Looks like this is Tesla Supercharger construction.

There was activity in PG County permit review on 02/12/2021 mentioning a fence at this address "for Tesla vehicle charging stations"

Permit No. 16331-2021-00 is not showing up on the PG database as of this morning, but...

Ticket No: 21987605 was requested by the same contracting company that is installing other Superchargers in Maryland.

Location is at 39.02754, -76.91774

@corywright

I've made a couple trips to Beltsville for work and this would be a welcome... city... but yeah that road can be crazy.

Here is direct link to Google street view of the previously existing 8 parking spots Google Maps

That's not where the Superchargers are going. The spots are in the rear, to the side of the Wawa, behind the Sardi's. Here's a link to the Street View: Google Maps

I was just there a couple hours ago. Today, there are pallets of stuff wrapped in white plastic, a small backhoe, and a Bearcat dozer. There's been a lot more digging since I was last there on Sunday. I would have taken a picture, but it was very dark and rainy. I'll try to get some pics in the future, but it's usually dark at this time of year when I'm in the area.

I drive by here about twice per week. I don't think the road is "crazy," but maybe I'm just used to the traffic around here. I think this is a great location. There are a bunch of very food options (Sardi's–a Peruvian restaurant specializing in charbroiled rotisserie chicken, Yia Yia's–a Greek restaurant with excellent gyros, an Arby's, and a McDonald's) within a very short walk, in addition to the Wawa (a gas station convenience store with decent fast food options of its own). It's also a very short drive (like a 2-3 minute drive if the traffic lights are all green) from the DC Beltway (I-95). I've been on roadtrips where I've had to leave the interstate for much farther to get to the Superchargers to which I was directed.

Interesting that there will be two EVgo chargers, too! I wonder if that was a concession to get the permits moving.