Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Bethesda, MD (Permanently Closed, Oct 2016)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm guessing the HPWC would have been faster than the supercharger in that scenario. Luckily, I wasn't that desperate -- it was just convenient to the detail shop that did the front end wrap on my car. Once I saw how slow it was, I just decided to risk that I'd be able to make it to Potomac Mills even with a detour through DC and it went fine.

I'm guessing the HPWC would have been faster than the supercharger in that scenario. Luckily, I wasn't that desperate -- it was just convenient to the detail shop that did the front end wrap on my car. Once I saw how slow it was, I just decided to risk that I'd be able to make it to Potomac Mills even with a detour through DC and it went fine.

Yeah, yesterday I was debating going to Bethesda or going to Potomac Mills. Ended up going to Potomac Mills as I didn't know how busy Bethesda might be, even at 7pm on Sunday. Last time I was at the Bethesda Supercharger, I ended up waiting around 25 minutes to charge. I did plug into a HPWC for some of that time. Made it to Potomac Mills with 19 miles rated miles of range left. I really like the new 6.1 energy trip features and it guessed very closely to my actual usage on the trip back to Richmond, even with my average wh/mile pretty high since I was going 78-79 mph most of the way with 38 degree temps.

I had about a 40 min to an hour wait at this Supercharger yesterday around 10:30am. All because a red Model S was parked there and either trickle charging to max or done charging for a long time. When I got there the fans of the supercharger were not whirring.

It would be nice if people can show more consideration at this small supercharger location. When the one guy left and I plugged in, I went to grab a quick bite and use the bathroom and I had more than enough charge (~190 rated miles) and freed up the spot for the next car.

This will be even more of a problem when the Model X and Model 3 are around.

I was quite nervous counting on this charger when coming through on our vacation. However we had no problems at all on Friday night. Charged at 380V/80A and was able to charge up from ~120miles to ~230miles in the time it took to grab dinner at the food court. The charger was quite busy though, there was someone else in the other stall when we got there and when we left (I think it was different cars) but they had Nevada plates so I'm assuming that was a dealer car. When we left someone else was just plugging in to the regular outlet, and I mentioned that they could take our SC spot if they wanted, which they did.

I had about a 40 min to an hour wait at this Supercharger yesterday around 10:30am. All because a red Model S was parked there and either trickle charging to max or done charging for a long time. When I got there the fans of the supercharger were not whirring.

It would be nice if people can show more consideration at this small supercharger location. When the one guy left and I plugged in, I went to grab a quick bite and use the bathroom and I had more than enough charge (~190 rated miles) and freed up the spot for the next car.

This will be even more of a problem when the Model X and Model 3 are around.

It's funny, we had a similar experience both ways down to VA. On the trip down I plugged into the HPWC until a spot opened, but on the way back there was a red car and another car there. We parked next to one of the cars and waited for a spot to open. As the spot was opening a woman with DC plates drove up and tried to go in (even with my wife standing in the spot so that I could maneuver in). She let us park, and we went into the mall.

We were there for about 35-40 mins and when we came back out the same red car was still there charging, the poor woman with DC plates was still waiting, and there was another guy there along with another car pulling in. A rep from the Tesla store was out as well, I guess looking into the red car and why it had been there so long. In the future I'm just going to continue on to woodbridge on the way down, and perhaps charge in WB on the way back up (which will be cutting it close, but less stress).

Tesla should make this location permanent and expand it if they can. It would also be great to have notification/queuing for SCs

It's funny, we had a similar experience both ways down to VA. On the trip down I plugged into the HPWC until a spot opened, but on the way back there was a red car and another car there. We parked next to one of the cars and waited for a spot to open. As the spot was opening a woman with DC plates drove up and tried to go in (even with my wife standing in the spot so that I could maneuver in). She let us park, and we went into the mall.

We were there for about 35-40 mins and when we came back out the same red car was still there charging, the poor woman with DC plates was still waiting, and there was another guy there along with another car pulling in. A rep from the Tesla store was out as well, I guess looking into the red car and why it had been there so long. In the future I'm just going to continue on to woodbridge on the way down, and perhaps charge in WB on the way back up (which will be cutting it close, but less stress).

Tesla should make this location permanent and expand it if they can. It would also be great to have notification/queuing for SCs

Ive seen that red car there too. I think someone who works around that area, just plugs in on a daily basis and leaves the car there all day.

Ive seen that red car there too. I think someone who works around that area, just plugs in on a daily basis and leaves the car there all day.

I sure hope that's not the case because it's basically what Elon was talking about. I could see them plugging into the 240 or even HPWC if that's the case, but the supercharger? Especially one so limited to begin with.

Couldn't you report the VIN to Tesla and have them monitor it? Or is that taboo, but in light of recent statements regarding charging by local's it would seem to me to be acceptable especially if the same car is doing it that often with that big of an impact?

Couldn't you report the VIN to Tesla and have them monitor it? Or is that taboo, but in light of recent statements regarding charging by local's it would seem to me to be acceptable especially if the same car is doing it that often with that big of an impact?

Oh I am planning to and we should all watch out for that offending red model S on trickle charge. Someone is clearly abusing the system. I live pretty close to that super charger. My tesla shows up this week. I'll be there once in a while, for fun, probably late at night to avoid all the lunatics that could damage my tesla :).

I made my maiden voyage to use this supercharger yesterday, and was happy to report (1) spot available at 1pm and (2) charge time correlates very nicely to requisite time to walk to the Chipotle, enjoy a burrito bowl, then walk back to the car. iPhone app makes it too damn easy to know exactly when the car is finished charging and go get it, so no excuses for sloths leaving their cars more than a few minutes after it completes the charge.

Don't depend on this location to try and charge during the day on weekends. The mall is a zoo to begin with and traffic around the chargers is crazy. I was talking to one of the guys in the gallery last Saturday and he acknowledged that it's not an ideal location for a supercharger. It definitely seems to be the "odd man out" when you compare to the number of chargers and open area around the other SC locations. Once Tesla opens a new dealership with the recent change in MD law, I'd expect the gallery to relocate and the charger to move to an outdoor location.

It has always been listed as a temporary location. Hopefully we get an 8-spot location somewhere in the area. If the 2-spot isn't costing tesla any additional cash (rent, etc) I'd just leave it there. It's useful for the gallery, and can service more cars than the HPWCs.

I'm still thinking that placing Superchargers "in town" doesn't make sense.

I am hoping for something between DC and Baltimore... maybe Elkridge area. Then maybe something in Germantown or Frederick. A small one near Waldorf would also make the 301 route a much better choice to avoid DC traffic on I-95.

I'm still thinking that placing Superchargers "in town" doesn't make sense.

I am hoping for something between DC and Baltimore... maybe Elkridge area. Then maybe something in Germantown or Frederick. A small one near Waldorf would also make the 301 route a much better choice to avoid DC traffic on I-95.

There is one coming between DC and Baltimore, and if I recall it has already been decided where it would go, I think if you look in the MD superchargers thread you will find the discussion on it.

There is one coming between DC and Baltimore, and if I recall it has already been decided where it would go, I think if you look in the MD superchargers thread you will find the discussion on it.

This thread - Maryland Superchargers - Page 18

Looks like it'll be Laurel, MD. I just wish they don't remove the Bethesda supercharger. Can't ever have enough superchargers :)

What would be hella cool, you know where Balducci's/DSM shoe place is? It'd be super nice if in that strip mall, Tesla opens their showroom there, and installs an 8 stall supercharger there. There are just too many drivers passing through that interchange that would find a SC there helpful.

Or maybe around the repurposed white flint mall area.

This thread - Maryland Superchargers - Page 18

Looks like it'll be Laurel, MD. I just wish they don't remove the Bethesda supercharger. Can't ever have enough superchargers :)

What would be hella cool, you know where Balducci's/DSM shoe place is? It'd be super nice if in that strip mall, Tesla opens their showroom there, and installs an 8 stall supercharger there. There are just too many drivers passing through that interchange that would find a SC there helpful.

Or maybe around the repurposed white flint mall area.
For good access from the Beltway and I-270, this place would be terrific:

Google Maps

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-07-05 at 18.30.19.png
    Screen Shot 2015-07-05 at 18.30.19.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 233
For future trips to the area, I will avoid Bethesda at all costs. I had just driven 11 hours and had 56 miles remaining, with some moderate driving to do in the Silver Spring area over the next day. So, to be on the safe side I went to the Mall to charge at about 11:30 p.m. First of all it isn't well marked and I drove around for about 15 minutes looking for it. I finally flagged down a security guard in his truck and he took me to the garage where it was located (a good guy!). When I got there, there were two owners charging. One owner said that this was one of the first Supercharger installs and that it is set up so that the first person to arrive gets 66% of the available power, then the next person and those after share what is left. It took until 1:00 a.m. to charge up to 150 which I decided was enough until I could get up to Hagerstown. It was a tiring and frustrating night.

@republic - wow that would be a fantastic location. Lets hope Tesla decides to relocate the Montgomery Mall charger there and increases it to 8 stalls. Though something tells me, its not gonna happen for a few years atleast.

@mbaj4 - yep, the Bethesda supercharger isn't the best.